ReefCleaners.org

Does anyone know about this sand?

aviator300

I was looking around Petco last night (don't tell anyone) and i saw a bag of Caribsea "Arag Alive Natural Reef Aquarium gravel". I've never seen this grade of sand by Caribsea until now but i like the look of it.

Its grains are large (3-5 mm) and it has shells in it.

Has anyone used this or know anything about it? I can't find much info online.

http://www.petco.com/product/121753/CaribSea-Arag-Alive-Natural-Reef-Aquarium-Gravel.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGooglePLA-_-Fish-_-CaribSea-_-2153537&mr:trackingCo

It's cute if you're looking to add a handful for builders (like mantis shrimp), but as a substrate it'll trap detritus and be pretty uninhabitable for small sand dwellers.

CronicReefer

I used a bag of that to mix in with my finer dry sand (I used about 35lbs of dry) when I set up my tank because I knew I was going to get some type of sand burrowing critter that would possibly need larger shells to support its den. It does contain various shells so yes it does have the potential to trap detritus if you don't have the strongest flow but I don't think it has been much of an issue for me so far. I also keep nassarius snails to stir up the sand bed and loosen up anything that might get trapped.

Archived