inTank Media Baskets

Martin's nano in China

Martin in China

Martin in China

At last, my tank is ordered. It will be a one in all tank (tank and filter compartment), 19.7 x 15.7 x 15 inch tank size with filter of 4 x 15.7 x 15 inch, in this filter part I want a skimmer, bio-part with macro algae, heater and return pump.

I had an old tank which is now running with some salt water, sand and some bio media to get an early start, it also has some macro algae. The sand and algae where collected at the beach here (I'm living in Shenzhen, China)

These are the algae I am hoping to use.

20150315_211437kl_zpsx9ex4q5u.jpg

I would like to know what this is .....

20150315_211458kl_zpsyyaz8doi.jpg20150315_211521kl_zpso2utemvu.jpg

Also got some snails, but not sure if they are reef safe, they kept getting out of the water in the beginning, seem to be OK inside the water now.

20150315_211634kl_zpsmmasv4yw.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

Sounds like it's going to be a great tank. The algae looks like a type of chaetomorpha but I'm not sure what the white bit inside it is. If you could get a picture of the snail's body it may help with identification. There are a few snails with shells that look similar to that one.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin in China

Thank Omelette...I designed it to fit the space I had and for easy access to the filter part.

Martin in China

Trying to get a scape going...need more rocks, so I better hop to the LFS to get a few more. I got about 18 pound rock in it now.

20150406_165624_zpszvdvbmus.jpg

I want to keep it simple and open, but still give fish enough hiding places.

Hmmm what's your plan with the tank? Sorta a natural whatever-grows-grows?

Also do you happen to own (or use to own) cichlids and have an account on MFK?

Martin in China

Hmmm what's your plan with the tank? Sorta a natural whatever-grows-grows?

Also do you happen to own (or use to own) cichlids and have an account on MFK?

My plan is to have some zoas and mushrooms, easy soft corals as I am a beginner, also some fish, again easy fish to start with.

I do not own or ever owned cichlids, I do however owned several planted tanks, now I still have a awesome 300 liter planted tank. I just wanted to give the salty side a try as this is affordable here in China and just cool to have a little reef in the living room.

Martin in China

One thing isn't clear to me (more than one thing, but for now I'll keep it at one), do I turn on the lights already or wait until the cycling is done?

CronicReefer

Wait till you begin adding livestock. Lights will just create unnecessary algae if you have them on during cycle.

Martin in China

What skimmer is that?

It's a Chinese copy of some other brand for sure, but this one is called "Redstarfish SQ-50" the smallest version of it's kind...so far it is really quit and seems to be working.

Martin in China

How often do you guys test the water parameters and is it useful to already start testing my water now (started 4 days ago)?

Actually, I tested yesterday, mostly to see how those testers work. All seems fine for now except Mg was a bit low (400 ppm) and I didn't order a tester for Ammonia :blush: ...so , no clue how much ppm it is.

CronicReefer

How often do you guys test the water parameters and is it useful to already start testing my water now (started 4 days ago)?

Actually, I tested yesterday, mostly to see how those testers work. All seems fine for now except Mg was a bit low (400 ppm) and I didn't order a tester for Ammonia :blush: ...so , no clue how much ppm it is.

I would retest your magnesium. If it is only 400pppm your alkalinity and calcium will never stay consistent and you won't even be able to get calcium to a reef level.
NorthGaHillbilly

400 seems really low, what salt mix are you using? As for testing, I test alk weekly, ca once a month or so and nitrate if things are looking alittle off, but you will start to learn to "see" when things are out of balance as your tank matures.

Martin in China

Oops...my mistake....it's the Ca level that's on 400, not the Mg...that would really be low.

NorthGaHillbilly

Oops...my mistake....it's the Ca level that's on 400, not the Mg...that would really be low.

AHH, that sounds better. Dont worry about anything other than ammonia, nitrate and nitrite right now IMO. you can worry about the rest after youve done your big waterchange after the cycle

Martin in China

Got some more live rock and finished a scape (probably will move a tiny rock here and there). Also seen some live already, mostly Aiptasia :furious: , but they are still tiny (no more than 1/16th of an inch so I used boiling water to kill them, I hope it worked)

Here a picture of the rock formation (quality isn't good...sorry, also the lighting isn't what it will be later).

20150411_162814_zpsvcw7lnko.jpg

Archived