Pod Your Reef

Epsom Salt Dosing Help

VW_TDI_02

Epsom salt is of unknown purity, so you have no idea what contaminants you're adding to the tank when you get your magnesium this way. Plus, there is more sulfate in Epsom salts than magnesium, so sulfate levels will rise, and that can be a bad thing.

When I was looking around the brand that was recommended and known for being pure was swan and that's the one I got. In regards to sulfates, I'm doing good size water changes since it's a nano tank so that shouldn't be a problem. Even without doing water changes the rise is relatively low.

Even without doing water changes the rise is relatively low.

What do you consider to be low? The ratio of sulfates to magnesium is roughly 2:1 in Epsom salt. The 240ppm that you wanted to raise your magnesium would increase your sulfates by nearly 480ppm.

What do you consider to be low? The ratio of sulfates to magnesium is roughly 2:1 in Epsom salt. The 240ppm that you wanted to raise your magnesium would increase your sulfates by nearly 480ppm.

Every 100 ppm ends up being 15%. I also don't plan on keeping the tank at 1400 ppm any more so it will only be 100 ppm since I want to keep it right around 1300. There was an issue with shipping the B-Ionic stuff so when that arrives I plan on switching over like I said.

Source

I wish my io salt would mix up at 9... Every batch I made out of this bag mixes up about 12 kh

My mag was so low I couldn't get calcium up above 380 no matter what till I mixed up some Epson salt

Archived