Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Epsom Salt Dosing Help

VW_TDI_02

I'm not 100% sure I am doing this right so I wanted too confirm it. My magnesium is currently at 1160 and I want to get it up to 1400. According to the reef chemistry calculator, I need to add 313.6 grams of epsom salt into the tank. That's a lot of salt and I dissolved it in 1 gallon of RODI. Obviously I am not going to dose it all at once. From what I've seen, I'm supposed to dose about 1/3 of the full dose on the first day and then continue doing so until I finish the 313.6 gram solution. This would be over the course of a few days and it would be added in small doses throughout the day. Does this sound right or do I have too start over with the solution??

Short Version:

Mag currently at 1160 and I want it at 1400

Reef Chemistry calculator says I need to add 313.6 grams of epsom salt

Mix with 1 gal RODI

Dose 1/3 gallon per day spread out across the day

Test after each day

That sound right?

What's the specific gravity of the resulting solution? If you add it to your tank as top off water, the specific gravity of the water will increase. If you remove water and add this solution, the level of other elements (like calcium and alkalinity) will be reduced.

If a new batch of saltwater has an acceptable level of magnesium, do a large water change to bring up the magnesium level. If a new batch of water is still low in magnesium, I'd switch salt mixes instead of trying to dose everything to acceptable levels.

Currently using Instant Ocean sand and have about 1/3 of the bucket left. After I get done with it I'm going to switch to Red Sea Coral Pro. A fresh batch of salt measures the following using a Red Sea test kit.

Ca: 350

Alk: 9.5

Mag: 1200

My tank parameters are the same except my tank magnesium measures 1160. I just checked the new solution and I'm getting between 1.024 and 1.025 so it at least matches the tank water. I also have a small amount of kalk in the ATO (1/4 tsp/gallon).

You might want to consider sticking with IO and starting up a two-part dosing regime, manual or autodose. IMO, the problem with RSCP is the freaking alk and ca is so ridiculously high at 1.025. The beauty of using "cheap" salts like IO, is that you can always add to it to bring the levels up where you want them, where with RSCP you can't lower the 13dkH/480ppm ca.

You might want to consider sticking with IO and starting up a two-part dosing regime, manual or autodose. IMO, the problem with RSCP is the freaking alk and ca is so ridiculously high at 1.025. The beauty of using "cheap" salts like IO, is that you can always add to it to bring the levels up where you want them, where with RSCP you can't lower the 13dkH/480ppm ca.

Damn, not sure just yet. Those dosers are a bit pricey but dosing every day gets to be a pain. It's a smaller tank with about 35 gallons of total water. Currently doing 10 gallon water changes every week.

Damn, not sure just yet. Those dosers are a bit pricey but dosing every day gets to be a pain. It's a smaller tank with about 35 gallons of total water. Currently doing 10 gallon water changes every week.

I picked up a Jebao DP-4 about a year ago for $90, I think they are $100 on amazon. I looks identical to the much more expensive GHL. Zero problems to date other than the clock drifts about 2 minutes in a month.

Those dosers are a bit pricey but dosing every day gets to be a pain.

I agree, you shouldn't have to dose just to get your levels right. Dosing is primarily to replenish consumed elements. IMO, it's time to switch salt mixes.

I picked up a Jebao DP-4 about a year ago for $90, I think they are $100 on amazon. I looks identical to the much more expensive GHL. Zero problems to date other than the clock drifts about 2 minutes in a month.

I've been debating it. The Jebao DP-2 is the one I've been looking at for $60 but only has two pumps.

http://www.addictiveaquaculture.com/index.php?id_product=385&controller=product&id_lang=1

FWIW, I'm only using two of my four. Probably would have just bought the dp-2 if I had known it was available.

The only thing I'm wondering is about dosing magnesium. For now, I think I'm going to just pull out 1/3 gallon of tank water and then add 1/3 of the epsom salt mixture. Will test before and after to be sure. Salinity will stay the same. Calcium and Alkalinity may drop a tiny fraction but I think it will be negligible. Once I get it to 1400, I doubt I will need to dose much in order to make a difference. I think I can get the mag to 1400 and then check right after the water change and see how much of a drop there is. From there, I will know how much I need to add after each water change so I would be only dosing once a week.

Stick with IO. Scientists use it in labs because it's a great basic salt and you can add stuff to the tank later without over doing it. It's the most like real seawater (none really are) and has everything in it you need in a tank.

Stick with IO. Scientists use it in labs because it's a great basic salt and you can add stuff to the tank later without over doing it. It's the most like real seawater (none really are) and has everything in it you need in a tank.

If I stick with IO, I think I'm going to dose into the new water for water changes. This way I'm adding new water with 400 Ca, 1400 Mag, and 9.5 alk. The Kalkwasser in the ATO should be able to keep the tank in check since I don't have a bunch of SPS corals or anything that really pulls a lot of Ca/Alk

I would dose the actual tank rather than the water changes. Put in the fresh water and let the tank adapt and then slowly add stuff as you need it.

I would dose the actual tank rather than the water changes. Put in the fresh water and let the tank adapt and then slowly add stuff as you need it.

I think for my tank it may work either way. Like I said, my tank only has a few corals in there and I do have 1/4 teaspoon of kalk per gallon in the ATO. That is all I need in order to maintain my calcium and alkalinity. If I can dose the tank up to 400 Ca, 9.5 Alk, and 1400 Mag, the kalk should maintain the first two. I'm not really sure how much magnesium would drop so I would have to test it (go a week without dosing mag). So whenever I get the new water, I would simply dose that water up to the same as the tank. This way I'm adding water that has the same amount of Ca, Alk, and Mg keeping my parameters where they need to be.

Magnesium of 1250 should be good enough. Some would say that as low as 1200 is alright. In the grand scheme of things, alkalinity and calcium are more important (especially preventing swings in alkalinity). Your magnesium level is borderline alright (and the difference could even be a testing error). I imagine that if you boosted your specific gravity to 1.025, the magnesium level would even be 1200.

Proper magnesium levels are important to maintaining alkalinity and calcium. But I wouldn't try to boost magnesium to 1400 at the expense of other levels. Just boost it to 1250 and you should be alright.

I agree that Instant Ocean is widely used, and is a fine salt mix. However, if you are unhappy with the levels that it mixes to, then switch.

Magnesium of 1250 should be good enough. Some would say that as low as 1200 is alright. In the grand scheme of things, alkalinity and calcium are more important (especially preventing swings in alkalinity). Your magnesium level is borderline alright (and the difference could even be a testing error). I imagine that if you boosted your specific gravity to 1.025, the magnesium level would even be 1200.

Proper magnesium levels are important to maintaining alkalinity and calcium. But I wouldn't try to boost magnesium to 1400 at the expense of other levels. Just boost it to 1250 and you should be alright.

I agree that Instant Ocean is widely used, and is a fine salt mix. However, if you are unhappy with the levels that it mixes to, then switch.

Alk has been completely stable at 9.5 which is good. I was told that I needed to get Mg up to 1400 first and then concentrate on Ca. If the Mg is good, I guess it's time to get my Ca in line and make sure that the Alk stays the same.

I was told that I needed to get Mg up to 1400 first and then concentrate on Ca.

By who? Don't worry so much about magnesium (just make sure it's within acceptable parameters). Alkalinity stability is more important (this is easy when you don't have many stony corals). When alkalinity is being consumed (and needs dosed), so will calcium.

Another thread here that I had about raising my Ca without raising my Alk. Alk stays pretty stable with my kalk but the Ca is what has always been low. Was told to get a Mg test kit and when it came out to 1160-1200 I was told not to touch Alk and Ca until I get Mg to 1400.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358866-raising-ca-but-not-alk-updated-with-new-camagalk-readings/

OK, so they believed that the calcium was precipitating out of suspension due to low magnesium levels. This may or may not be true.

I suspect that calcium is and magnesium is low due to the mix. If you like Instant Ocean, I'd try Reef Crystals (which has extra calcium).

OK, so they believed that the calcium was precipitating out of suspension due to low magnesium levels. This may or may not be true.

I suspect that calcium is and magnesium is low due to the mix. If you like Instant Ocean, I'd try Reef Crystals (which has extra calcium).

If it's precipitating out then wouldn't I find some sort of sedimentation in my mixing containers? When I tested a fresh batch I was getting the same numbers as my tank. I think I'm going to shoot for 1300 Mg just to be in the middle. After that I will be on to raising my Ca hopefully.

If it's precipitating out then wouldn't I find some sort of sedimentation in my mixing containers? When I tested a fresh batch I was getting the same numbers as my tank.

Yep. Which makes me think it's not precipitating, and that it's just low in calcium and magnesium.

I would avoid using epsom salt. Get some Kent Tech M and your problems will be solved.

I'm currently dosing epsom salts but will switch over to B-Ionic Magnesium once it arrives. It was supposed to arrive last Friday at the latest but something happened with the post office and now they are sending me out a new one. Magnesium is good and the epsom salts are doing well. I simply add 33 grams of epsom salts to each bucket of new saltwater I make. I use a bit less IO salt in order to keep the salinity where it should be and so far it's working great. Any reason why you are against using epsom salt?

Any reason why you are against using epsom salt?

Epsom salt is of unknown purity, so you have no idea what contaminants you're adding to the tank when you get your magnesium this way. Plus, there is more sulfate in Epsom salts than magnesium, so sulfate levels will rise, and that can be a bad thing.

Archived