ReefCleaners.org

Alexraptor's "25g" Mandarin Garden - Relaunch Pg. 2

Alexraptor

As this is a major system rebuild I kind of wanted to keep it seperate from my previous project.

Referr to the old 10g Mandarin Graden thread for the complete history of my efforts in keeping a Mandarin Dragonet in a nano: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/344110-alexraptors-10g-mandarin-garden/

So as I wrote in the conclusion of my other thread, I view my 10g Mandarin tank as a complete success, more than capable of sustaining a happy and healthy Mandarin in the long run.

But after a number of consecutive equipment failures and with a very tight economy, I found the most economical thing to do right now, was to consolidate my two 10g tanks into a single larger setup. rather than having to purchase new equipment for "two tanks".

So lets proceed by freshening up those tank specs:

Tank Details:

- 96 Liter rimless glass aquarium.

- 75W Eheim Jager heater

- Eheim StreamON+ 2000 stream pump.

- Aqua Nova 4x24w T5HO, 2x white, 2x actinics.

- Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer

So yesterday I started with emptying out the first tank(not the Mandarin's) and transfering its contents to the new tank.

On the picture you can see the new light, resting on my little girls 10g, since I can't risk the Caulerpa going sexual.

post-13319-0-22266500-1427409988_thumb.jpg

This photo I took last night after I had finished with the transfer, the water is still hazy here from detritus and stuff stirred up, so I threw in a Fluval 1 internal filter to remove most of that free floating junk.

post-13319-0-50293400-1427409994_thumb.jpg

Today the water is crystal clear again, and the coral frags I had in the now empty tank seem to be doing ok. Despite the lack of any real light all the polyps are open and extended.

I'm going to give things a few days to stabilize, and if all goes well I will transfer the rock and sand from the second tank, and of course my little girl. :)

post-13319-0-85787300-1427410338_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well now its all done, moved over the contents from the second tank and my little girl.

All thats left now is to cut a hole in the coverglass for the skimmer collection cup and then top up with some more saltwater.

post-13319-0-37834300-1427556855_thumb.jpgpost-13319-0-45566600-1427556863_thumb.jpg

Also took and moved over some zoas and a monti frag from my main reef tank, which is getting kind of crowded.

Probally also going to move over a frogspawn as well soon.

Hahahaha, yeah I really should get them carted off for disposal lol.

On the other hand, old bulbs tend to become pretty handy in an emergency if you have a premature failure. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A wee update.

The new tank has now been up and running for a couple of weeks now and things seem to be going well. Had a small diatom bloom which has since died back and everything seems to have survived the transfer.

Also took and moved over a Frogspawn coral from my main reeftank which was starting to crowd things out, may also move over an agressively growing pavona coral in the future.

LassieNewTank13April2015.jpg

The Halimeda is especially loving the new spacious system and the new lighting and is completely covered in little white buds. Interestingly enough the Caulerpa does not stand a chance against it!

Halimedagrowth.jpg

And of course my little Lassie is doing just fine, stuffing her face with both frozen food and pods and has gotten herself a bit of an egg-belly again. Hopefully once the pod population has fully rebound and ive got some more foliage for them to hide and feed on, I will be able to get her some companionship. ;)

LassieApril13-2015.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Alexraptor

Fascinating, I've virtually stopped feeding her.

In the last week I have only performed one feeding and she's still nice fat and producing eggs!

She appears to be deriving almost all her nutritional needs from the critters in her tank now.

Now the big question is... can the tank on its on now sustain...two?

Alexraptor

Fresh tank photo time!

Culled some of the dead and bubble algae infested Halimeda parts and took and propagated some healthy cuttings to other rocks.

LassieTankMay2015.jpg

• Like 1
Alexraptor

Did some re-aquascaping.

LassieTankJune2015.jpg

The frogspawn has gone back to my main reef tank, as it actually liked it better there, and I have also added in a huge new chunk of live rock and some smaller pieces.

The new piece in the back there is an interesting one in that its filled with LOTS of cavities where my Mandarin cannot go, creating even more prime real estate for pods to grow and flourish. My ultimate goal is to provide an environment that can eventually sustain a pair of those mandarins with minimal or no additional feedings.

But I would also like to liven up the place a bit with more critters, so the big question becomes, what other livestock can I add that will not be interested in also nomming pods and macroplankton?

• 1 month later...

Well set up a permanent solution today for the warmer times of year, as well as improving oxygen exchange. :)

Had a weebit of trouble and accidentally cut the screen when i was cutting off excess netting in the corner I made for the skimmer, but managed to stich it up with a sewing needle and some fishing line.

Its not going to win first prize for looks, but it will keep my little Mandaring from carpet surfing at least, and thats the most important part. :)

LassieTankMesh.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Say hello to Lassie's new companion, Ao Shun! :)

AoShunReleased.jpg

Lassie herself was pretty much a rescue animal that was dangerously undernourished and skinny, but Ao Shun here is pretty much a textbook Mandarin specimen, thick and healthy like a little sausage. :)

Introduction went very well, neither Lassie or Ao Shun made any kind of aggressive moves towards each other. He is still settling in and won't come out much, but she's just going about her usual business hunting for critters, while occasionally looking in on him.

• 3 weeks later...

Having to crawl under everything and pull out the power cord every time I feed is becoming a drag. In fact I've even been skipping meals because its such a bother.

So I've enlisted the help of some modern Wi-Fi tech to aid me!

post-13319-0-45314600-1442001422_thumb.jpg

With a little remote I can now plug my pump equipment into one of those and turn them on and off with nothing more than the press of a button.

No more plug yanking! Just "click" dump in food and "click" again when the Mandarins have finished eating. :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well did not expect to hear this when I took my new Rollei Actioncam 6s for a spin in its waterproof housing.

?

Those little jaws make a lot of noise against the rocks, and at times I can even hear the sound clear across the aquarium room!

In fact I can't even be sure anymore of when its my elusive pistol shrimp and when its one of my mandarins making noise.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still alive and kicking!

The two of them seem to be getting along pretty well, haven't witnessed any mating dances, but I suspect their might be something going on as Lassie has a tendency to "deflate" ever so often, more so than usual. I.E from re-absorbing the eggs.

Have had some complications with the red algae, think it may be toxic as my entire snail population has gone belly up, and the skimmer collection cup seems to fill with what I can only describe as "red dye". The Caulerpa is also very sickly and dying off, despite an abundance of nutrients(not going sexual).

The microfauna population seems intact though and both my little darlings still have quite the appetite.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that sucks, looks like this love story has come to an abrupt end.

4 months together without issues and in the last week my male dragonet has suddenly turned aggressive and beating the shit out of my little girl.

Checked up on her hiding terrified in a corner, her fins all torn up!

And sure enough I caught the male in the act sneaking up on her, and she was absolutely terrified trying to get away.

Now he's chilling in a 1 liter measurment cup, until I throw him into my main reef tank instead.

Looks like she's destined to live out her days alone, or at least not with her own kind.

Still alive and kicking!

The two of them seem to be getting along pretty well, haven't witnessed any mating dances, but I suspect their might be something going on as Lassie has a tendency to "deflate" ever so often, more so than usual. I.E from re-absorbing the eggs.

Have had some complications with the red algae, think it may be toxic as my entire snail population has gone belly up, and the skimmer collection cup seems to fill with what I can only describe as "red dye". The Caulerpa is also very sickly and dying off, despite an abundance of nutrients(not going sexual).

The microfauna population seems intact though and both my little darlings still have quite the appetite.

Beautiful video

Obsessed Reefer

Well that sucks, looks like this love story has come to an abrupt end.

4 months together without issues and in the last week my male dragonet has suddenly turned aggressive and beating the shit out of my little girl.

Checked up on her hiding terrified in a corner, her fins all torn up!

And sure enough I caught the male in the act sneaking up on her, and she was absolutely terrified trying to get away.

Now he's chilling in a 1 liter measurment cup, until I throw him into my main reef tank instead.

Looks like she's destined to live out her days alone, or at least not with her own kind.

That sucks :( Stupid men always messing things up. Haha. With removing him, have you thought of any fish you might want to add?

Well I used to have a Wheeler goby with her until it was killed when my Maiden's Hair went sexual. They got along just swimmingly so i'm considering one or two of those.

Haven't really thought of much more yet, all so sudden and unexpected.

• 2 months later...

Uhm yeah... little embarassed showing this... been slacking off quite a bit with maintenence(bad Alex!), still thought it interesting so I would show anyway... yikes!

post-13319-0-20071700-1456510723_thumb.jpg

Allthough now that I think of it... its not THAT bad. Sure there's some heavy microalagae films there and the caulerpa has grown rampant... But it's not like there are carpets of cyano everywhere IN the tank, and the Softies seem to be just fine.

So here's a fuzzy pic of my little lady through all the junk. As you can see she's made a full and complete recovery after having been beaten up by the male-now-in-exile.

post-13319-0-55293300-1456510728_thumb.jpg

And oh yes... did I mention that this little plump darling has not received a feeding for 3 weeks now? Unkept Overgrown tanks do have their advantages. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Judging by the rotundness of her little body I'd like to think I've done right by her the past "Two Years" :)

LassiePHAT.jpg

Also did get around to cleaning up the tank and re-aquascaping a little after that last tank shot!!!

LassieTankApril2016.jpg

• Like 2