SaltCritters.com

How long?

Bill Nye

I just got a shipment of snails in and due to some confusion it was shipped on a day I had to work. They were sitting in the ~50 degree weather for about 2 hours before I got home from work and got them acclimating in my tank.

Overall, everything came in great despite being outside for a bit except for the trochus snails. They were divided into two bags and one of the bags smelled like a moldy foot and the water was yellow. I touched their feet but they didn't move but I put them in anyway in hopes some would make it.

How long should I wait before taking the ones who aren't moving yet out of the tank so they don't pollute it?

I'd say no more than two days. Even snails that have climbed out of my tank have survived but they usually start moving soon after I put them back in the water.

On the other hand cool climate is hard on aquatic life, especially tropical animals. But FYI hotter weather is actually more harmful in a general sense. Which is why people use coolers a lot.

+1 sniff test. Just don't inhale too deeply, they can get quite pungent.

there was this one time it spilled on my hands, almost puked from the stink, and that stuffs smell did not wash out of my hands until a couple days later -gag-

there was this one time it spilled on my hands, almost puked from the stink, and that stuffs smell did not wash out of my hands until a couple days later -gag-

Yeah that's the kind of mistake you only make once!

Archived