SaltCritters.com

*Manual top off*

Kyleqb

Sorry this isn't me taking my shirt off.

I am starting up a 24 gallon rimless + sump is fully covered as standard to prevent splashing and evaporation. But the display is still rimless.

How much water would I lose a day?

Is there any issue with manually topping off everyday after work?

I understand if I'm not home everyday it may be bad. But I can always get someone at home to add a bit of water it is the easiest part of maintenance anyway lol :)?

Tell me what you think??

I just don't want something else to buy until I have a real need for it.

Cheers

Kyleqb

+1 manual top off is a pain the the a$$. I'm manually topping off right now and most days I just get annoyed because it's 1 more thing to do. Also I've never had good luck relying on someone else to do maintenance - even simple maintenance like topping off. Not to say you wont either - just a risk that's all.

I have a 40br with a 30br sump and lose around a gallon a day this time of year.

As for covering up the sump completely I'm thinking you might want to open it up a bit. I don't know what the dimensions of your 24 are, but I think a lot of people (myself included at times) underestimate the actual amount of gas exchange that's happening in our tanks. Depending on whats in the tank the amount of exposed surface area required for adequate gas exchange may be more than what's available in just the display tank. Just something to look into.

Thanks guys,

This is my sump. It has a large overflow into a trickle filter so I would get lots of gas exchange etc...

I don't mind manually puting in a gallon a day or what ever, the top off water will already be made up and ready. As you can see I have room for equipment in the sump section. But I like to do some manual work.

:)

Hoping to start this tank up next couple weeks :)

post-87658-0-23915200-1427412292_thumb.jpg

post-87658-0-11530300-1427412309_thumb.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

depending on how small your return pump section is you might end up with problems in less than one days evaporation. My return section is ~1.5 gallons, and will suck air in less than 24 hours during the winter (gas heat = lots of evap)

Cencalfishguy56

I loose about a cup a day in evap, I manually top off one more thing to do but take all of 30 seconds lol no I'll affects for me

porkchop-rob

I manually top off my big system (40br with 20L sump...only has LPS and Softies)...I lose about a gallon a day.

I have an ATO on my 4 gallon. I am doing SPS in the Pico tank, so I am trying to keep the swings to a minimum.

LebaneseDlight

The ATO will be the best $100 purchase you'll make. But, it's not the first purchase you'll need. Spend your money on lighting, filtration (mechanical and bio), tests and salt. You'll eventually want an ATO. If you have SPS, this is a bigger priority than if you have LPS/softies.

When I started in this hobby, an ATO was a rarity for a nano tank. But, so were SPS dominated nanos :)

Bottom line: you don't need an ATO. BUT, you'll soon find that your motivation to do manual top offs will waiver over time. You'll then only be adding water when air starts going through your pump and making that aweful dry sucking sound and microbubbles. This will ruin your equipment.

Partially Submerged

None of my tanks (3g, 4g, 57g) have lids, and I've never used an ATO. With very small tanks you need to be careful, of course, because only an inch of lost water can mean a dramatic increase in SG. But it takes a few seconds to top off the tank.

SchnauzerFace

Maybe an ATO is just one of those things that you don't appreciate until you get one? Because personally I don't have one on either of my tanks, but I don't see how an ATO is that huge of a convenience unless you travel often. I just pour in a little water every morning and evening when I feed my dogs. Takes like 2 seconds. It's literally the fastest, easiest maintenance I do for the tank.

I'd much rather spend 2 seconds topping off than ever having to worry about becoming yet another reefer with an ATO horror story.

But I am in the minority by a pretty huge margin, so this is all just, like, my opinion, man.

same here- almost a gallon per day with a 40B / 29 sump. I don't like pouring that much fresh water in and seeing it swirl all over, seems like a bad idea. Obviously an ATO would keep the salinity more stable, but if you are disciplined enough / the tank is small- its probably fine.

Thanks guys. Money isn't an issue. I can afford one, so far I have made sure I have brought the best everything salt, tests, filter media, and supps. I just work literally 2 min away. Never really travel. And if I was to travel I would definatly buy one. I just can't be bothered in putting something else into my compact sump. If I can chuck a couple of cups in a day :)

Cheers

Archived