Top Shelf Aquatics

Slowtwitch Build #2

Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch

Have you tried Coral Snow? I'm using it at the moment and it really helps the skimmer rip everything organic from the water column.

My skimmer is going nuts. I empty the cup every day. I don't understand where all the organics are coming from. There are only a few frags plus CUC in here. Frags are getting hand fed to avoid over feeding. My first tank never had this issue.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slowtwitch

So this tank seems to have gone completely haywire. The cloudiness in the tank has not subsided and in fact I think is getting worse. Did a 5 gallon water change and added more beneficial bacteria on Monday. Tank looked slightly clearer for about 2 hours after the water change, but then right back to milky water. Yesterday did a 10 gallon water change and added more bacteria with similar results. By the end of the day yesterday the few corals in the tank looked so stressed that we decided to pull them out and put them into another more stable tank. The corals look much better today. Inverts in the cloudy tank (hermits, cleaner shrimp and emerald crab) seem to be fine except that I noticed several empty nassarius snail shells. Now I'm trying to figure out if the dead snails are causing the cloudiness or the cloudiness killed the snails....

Slowtwitch

One day after installing the UV sterilizer and the water is crystal clear. Luckily the inverts seem to be completely unaffected by whatever was making the water so cloudy. Going to run the sterilizer for a couple more days and then take it offline to see if the milky water comes back. If not then I will slowly start adding the coral frags back in.

One day after installing the UV sterilizer and the water is crystal clear. Luckily the inverts seem to be completely unaffected by whatever was making the water so cloudy. Going to run the sterilizer for a couple more days and then take it offline to see if the milky water comes back. If not then I will slowly start adding the coral frags back in.

fingerscrossed
Slowtwitch

Tank continues to look pristine. Parameters are continuing to look good. Hoping this will continue through the weekend so that by Monday I can get all the frag racks out of my other tank and get the corals back into this one.

fingerscrossed

Slowtwitch

Brought about 1/3 of the frags back to this tank this morning as the water continues to look and test good. If things remain stable 1/3 more on Monday and them the rest by the end of the week. fingerscrossed

Within a few minutes of going into the tank the zoas started opening up and looking like nothing ever happened. Still keeping the sterilizer on hand just in case though.

It was probably a bacterial bloom (just like in a FW tank). That would explain the skimmer going crazy, cloudy water, etc. Your addition of bacteria was likely fueling the cloudiness. The UV likely killed off the water column bacteria. I'm sure the bloom would have gone away by itself. Not sure if it could be harmful, but being safe never hurt :D

Slowtwitch

It was probably a bacterial bloom (just like in a FW tank). That would explain the skimmer going crazy, cloudy water, etc. Your addition of bacteria was likely fueling the cloudiness. The UV likely killed off the water column bacteria. I'm sure the bloom would have gone away by itself. Not sure if it could be harmful, but being safe never hurt :D

I thought it would have gone away on it's own as well, but it lasted so long before I put the sterilizer in I was getting worried. It was over three weeks.

Slowtwitch

Second batch of corals back in the tank. Still looking great. Sterilizer has been offline two days and the water is still crystal clear.

jedimasterben

I agree that it was probably just a bacterial bloom, you should be good now without the sterilizer :)

Slowtwitch

Things continue to settle in with this tank. Got a bunch of corals glued in place this week. Pretty sure we are going to keep this predominantly softies. Zoas, xenia, kenya tree, nems, leathers...etc. One tank requiring all the attention of daily testing and dosing is enough for me to manage right now.

Slowtwitch

Nems beginning to relax in the tank.

2015-06-05%2013.20.38_zps8rtp85kq.jpg

2015-06-05%2013.20.50_zpsz3g5zjrk.jpg

2015-06-05%2013.24.49_zpsfix1m01l.jpg

2015-06-05%2013.24.54_zps2wijftbp.jpg

Took a couple of the maxi's under blues as well, but the colors are not showing well yet. Big thanks to Louis at LAReefs for the killer selection.

reefernanoman

Took a couple of the maxi's under blues as well, but the colors are not showing well yet. Big thanks to Louis at LAReefs for the killer selection.

Nice nems and tank.
Slowtwitch

Just ordered there three maxi pack. Looks like you've got some sweet nem's from them.

I was a little worried about what I would get since it's not WYSIWYG, but Lawnman said all his stuff is top notch. I believe it now. He sells really high end stuff on ebay as well. Tempted to pull the trigger on one of those once I see how these guys do for a month or so.
Nanofreak79

Yeah, lots of reefers here seem to think he/LAReefs is awesome and has good stuff. Can't really beat the prices if you get some health colorful pieces. Congrats on yours

Nems have all settled in nicely and started eating. One of the BTA's ad one maxi decided they didn't like where I put them and moved to new locations but thankfully didn't disturb anything else in the tank. As long as they stay put now, we can scape with more corals around them. fingerscrossed

Sk8n Reefer

looking good - I would love to keep some nems myself- trying to talk my wife into keeping the nuvo 16 up after I move things Into the 50gal. and run nems and clowns- she's not feeling it yet. I have more work to do on her?

Clowns are on the list of upcoming purchases. Just want to get the right ones. My LFS isn't always good about stocking their "nano" fish with quality product. They are more geared for larger fish only type tanks so lots of cool triggers and such. Mail order fish scare me. Too many horror stories of sick or dying fish.

looking good - I would love to keep some nems myself- trying to talk my wife into keeping the nuvo 16 up after I move things Into the 50gal. and run nems and clowns- she's not feeling it yet. I have more work to do on her

• 2 weeks later...

So I got into the office today to find that one of my new nems had decided to commit suicide over the weekend. :furious: How does a 5" BTA manage to get itself ground into such tiny pieces? I literally could only find 3 1/4" sized pieces of the thing left. The only powerhead in the tank has 1/16" slot openings. :huh: Needless to say the tank looks like a bomb went off in it again. *sigh. Can't seem to win with this one.... :(

So I got into the office today to find that one of my new nems had decided to commit suicide over the weekend. :furious: How does a 5" BTA manage to get itself ground into such tiny pieces? I literally could only find 3 1/4" sized pieces of the thing left. The only powerhead in the tank has 1/16" slot openings. :huh: Needless to say the tank looks like a bomb went off in it again. *sigh. Can't seem to win with this one.... :(

I am sorry that you are having these flukey issues. That stinks but I hope the tank weathers the BTA smoothie.

HarryPotter

Damn that stinks! I don't understand how that could have happened with a covered powerhead.

Water changes galore?

Damn that stinks! I don't understand how that could have happened with a covered powerhead.

Water changes galore?

Yep. Did a big water change on Friday and used up most of my spare water (of course). Did five gallons today with what was left and put in a bag of carbon to absorb any toxins. Making more water to do another change tomorrow.

Dude love the rock scape here.

These too :D

Archived