inTank Media Baskets

42 versa cadlights

Jorgieee

I set up my 42 cadlights last Friday I added sand and water I was told by my Lfs to mix the salt once I had all my water in the tank it's almost been a week and the tank still hasn't cleared much maybe a little but not much, I'm running a sump but for now I have nothing in it because the tank is empty. I was told to put a filter sock, but I don't want to be changing it frequently is there anything else I can do to help the tank clear up?

What do you mean mix the Salt once you filled the tank? Did you just dump salt into the tank that had sand in it as well? How did you add the water, did you just dump it in causing the sand to stir? Do you have pumps running, where are they pointed?

What your LFS should have told you is you mix the salt and water in buckets, get the desired salinity, and then add the PRE-mixed water into the tank.

I put enough water in so i can add the sand and after that I continued to fill it until needed. When I finished adding the water I needed I mixed all the salt and dumped it into the tank. All I am running is the pump nothing else, I thought about doing that after i had dumped all the salt into the tank.

For future reference, its best to add the sand into the tank before you add any water. Also, you should be mixing all of your saltwater in an outside container other than your tank. The water you add to the tank should be already fully mixed, clear, saltwater. What I would do is take all the water out and start over. Get a Brutte trash can from Home Depot and mix your water in that, then add it to the tank.

If you don't want to do the above, time will eventually clear the tank (im guessing).

Have you tested your salinity? Just curious how mixing in the tank worked out from that perspective. I doubt you still have undisolved salt, so the cloudiness is probably just sand that still needs to settle. The filter sock should help, but it probably depends on how bad the cloudiness is and what it is being caused by.

Without premixing, you're only relying on the return pump to circulate the water. That is not the same as mixing. At this point your cloudiness is caused by

1)salt is not getting mixed

2)sand disturbance from dumping the water

3)lack of filter sock to filter the fine particules

If you used live sand, take majority of the ater out and mix in a separate container. mix that to a close proximity to what your target is. Then pour the premixed saltwater back into the tank. Install a filter sock or filter floss, mix. Wait for the cloudiness to subside, may take a few hrs to a few days. Re measure salinity and make the final adjustment.

Whatever you do, pour the water in slowly to minimize another sandstorm.

Jeff

I salinity actually turned out well I measured it by how many gallons I had used and it's exactly on 1.25
This is as clear as it's been tomorrow will be a week

post-84839-0-15104300-1427401033_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Steensj2004

Running some filter floss or a filter sock would help. But you would be best off running something really fine to collect particles.Otherwise it can take a long time to settle.

I salinity actually turned out well I measured it by how many gallons I had used and it's exactly on 1.25

This is as clear as it's been tomorrow will be a week

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

1.25? or 1.025? If its 1.25 that may be your problem.

Archived