SaltCritters.com

jedimasterben's planted tank light build

jedimasterben

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, I just opened my giant jug of metricide for dosing, since its concentrated I'm only dosing 1ml to the tank at a time for now, don't want to melt my moss I have in there!

Just ordered a gallon; I'm getting a bit tired of overpaying for Excel..

jedimasterben

Just ordered a gallon; I'm getting a bit tired of overpaying for Excel..

Good!

Forgot, this past weekend I got the LEDs on the heatsink and soldered them all up. Still don't have the clamp that will attach the gooseneck to the tank, so I can't get them attached to the driver board yet.

25239206752_84de769001_b.jpg

25264384631_83f473721b_b.jpg

I'm also not sure if I should paint the gooseneck, still trying to get that figured out.

Droidsocket

Hello jedimasterben! This was a great little tank! And your led choice seemed perfect.

I joined this forum because this thread was great to read. I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering.

I have a 40g B that I am setting up for plants. 36x18x16. I would love your input, based on your build here, how you would scale up this light rig for the larger tank. I'm not worried about heat sink or drivers yet. Just the LEDs. Thanks for your time?

jedimasterben

Hello jedimasterben! This was a great little tank! And your led choice seemed perfect.

I joined this forum because this thread was great to read. I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering.

I have a 40g B that I am setting up for plants. 36x18x16. I would love your input, based on your build here, how you would scale up this light rig for the larger tank. I'm not worried about heat sink or drivers yet. Just the LEDs. Thanks for your time?

I would basically double what I've got here, make two setups like the above and space them about 12" apart. The beauty of it all is that the powerhouse LEDs are just so dirt cheap, it's awesome. You could also do a single Vero 29 Decor Specialty 5600K at 700mA instead of a pair of Vero 18 Decor Specialty and have a single powerhouse beast in each, and run a single Decor Ultra Vero 10 at 700mA (and the other complementary colored LEDs at 700mA) and you'd have a more point-source type beast of an array.

So basically, there are lots of choices and tweaks you could make that wouldn't change the look or feel too drastically, and using varied current LDD drivers you can adjust the light output and efficiency to whatever best suits your tank. These arrays are just SO much better than using a few dozen 'puny' LEDs :D

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

New light is up, and it's a wee bit on the strong side, even though I removed the 1A LDD and used 700mA and 350mA mixed, PAR is over 250 at the bottom at full power. :)

The gooseneck I got from Dave was also not strong enough to hold the heatsink, and the mount was too small and would probably break the glass from the weight, so I was luckily able to use the old mount and gooseneck and they're both strong enough, though the mount is a bit broken.

26488924446_5f133f18bc_b.jpg

New light is up, and it's a wee bit on the strong side, even though I removed the 1A LDD and used 700mA and 350mA mixed, PAR is over 250 at the bottom at full power. :)

The gooseneck I got from Dave was also not strong enough to hold the heatsink, and the mount was too small and would probably break the glass from the weight, so I was luckily able to use the old mount and gooseneck and they're both strong enough, though the mount is a bit broken.

26488924446_5f133f18bc_b.jpg

Saweeeet!

jedimasterben

Nice light Ben....makes your bare driftwood and tannins look beautiful! (Jk)

OH, those tannins are going to get MUCH worse than that lol. Before I drained the tank Sunday, it was literally black, couldn't see anything! I boiled the hell out of that wood, and it just continued to laugh at me! :D

26464873111_e9987cebb4_b.jpg

25925990814_a0966b52d0_b.jpg

25925999934_a76dba524d_b.jpg

26505011406_e1f9716e5f_b.jpg

OH, those tannins are going to get MUCH worse than that lol. Before I drained the tank Sunday, it was literally black, couldn't see anything! I boiled the hell out of that wood, and it just continued to laugh at me! :D

26464873111_e9987cebb4_b.jpg

25925990814_a0966b52d0_b.jpg

25925999934_a76dba524d_b.jpg

26505011406_e1f9716e5f_b.jpg

Nice ladder!

In the 2.5 months I have been cycling my FW I have not seen any tannins. Perhaps my drift wood was broken? I see you have a fish in there - is that for the cycle?

We are going to add a school of neon tetras next week!

jedimasterben

Wow! Really a beautiful aquascape there Ben. Well done!

I'm excited to see those plants fill in.

thanks! Should be interesting. I still need to rubber band some of my moss to the end of the wood.

Hmm. That's what he said? :D

In the 2.5 months I have been cycling my FW I have not seen any tannins. Perhaps my drift wood was broken? I see you have a fish in there - is that for the cycle?

We are going to add a school of neon tetras next week!

Depends on what kind of driftwood you bought, some don't really leach tannins. This is Mopani wood, which has some incredible bouyancy and leaches forever and a day, but will also never rot away :)

All of the remaining guppies and my clown pleco were moved in, shouldn't see too much of a cycle, I put some used filter floss in the canister. The sand should get populated shortly.

As I said before, this is so nice is almost makes me want a freshwater tank. Almost.

I think it really accents the tank :D

Helps the guppies climb, too
jedimasterben

Also, if anyone wants my old light, let me know. It doesn't have the power supply or controller, but that's an easy fix. Will also come with a new gooseneck and clamp :)

Archived