Top Shelf Aquatics

My journey into the rabbit hole. . .

OpFor

Started out with an established 10gal. free from a co worker. He kept saying, youll wanna go bigger, its easier to take care of. So did everyone else I talked to about the tank (minus you guys).

He let it sit untouched for a long time though, so I ended up starting from step one. Within a month I traded two corals I didnt want that came with the tank for a 30gal. (Free or trades of unwanted stuff are the best!)

In the 10gal. I have butt load of live rock, deep sand bed and various corals. I have a lawnmower, a red scooter, a Speringi Dottyback, and two temporary guests (a pair of clowns: Black Ice Extreme and potential other half, DaVinci).

Before anyone freaks out about bioload and tank is too small for all of them, I am super diligent about maintenance and will be starting set up of a bigger tank next week. Everyone gets along, even though the Speringi tries to be the boss(he was in the tank I got him from). He tried to pester my scooter and got the scales scared out of him by the big dorsal fin.

In the 30gal. I have corals, 1 Spotted Hawkfish, Black Ice bonded pair, starry blenny, Moyers Dragonet, 2 purple firefish and 1 surviving chromis. (His buddies got eaten by another temp guest, the fuzzy lionfish.)

But wait, I hear it now, you cant have two purplefish in a tank that small. I bought them as a pair, ie: they were both in the same tank at LFS. So either I lucked out and got two females, or they really are a bonded pair. They share the same bolt hole and do not fight at all, I have video proof.

In the next week, I will begin setting up my 54gal. corner tank that almost everything in my 30gal. will be moved too. Ive worked hard to build up a high copeopod population in both tanks (they are clouding up my glass) and besides some early on issues with nitrates, all is copasetic.

I really hope good fortune and Posideon keep smiling down on me. I love the crap out of all my critters! Except the bristleworms, those just outright freak me out.

Oh yeah. I got this hobby hooked in my cheek bad. I did some additional research and decided maybe the 54 corner isnt the best option for me.

1: How the heck do you fit all filtration and stuff in/on it?

2: Seems to me it would be a big challenge to properly light it.

While it does seem like a decent challenge, I think Im going to wait and see what pops up in my looksee for different tanks. There are alot, but Im looking for a unicorn formula of size, availability, room to aquascape and so on. We shall see.

Archived