Innovative Marine Aquariums

Advice for LED panel placement

KoleTang

I need some advice on the best placement and layout of LEDs. I'm building a 120g with x2 250w Radiums on Reeflux Ballasts. The reflectors are Lumenbrite Minis which are 16" x 16". I plan to use LEDs as a secondary light to be able to adjust the color spectrum to my liking.

I had planned on using three LED panels placed in the middle and on each side of the two halides, but I forgot to account for the cross bar and trim.

WwObUrC.png

M5SQ1d4.jpg

I have a little over 2.5" to work with on each side of the reflector. For the middle section I plan to mimic my original plan except split the one panel into two to fit on either side of the cross brace.

My questions are:

Where should I put the other LEDs. Towards the sides or the front of the tank? If I angle the LEDs towards the mid part of the tank will that hinder the output (Is it better for the LEDs to be aiming straight on to the water surface)?

I can't find much info on DIY LEDs + Halides. Do I have enough LEDs planned?

How close to eachother can the LEDs be mounted on a heatsink?

Thanks for any help.

You can mount LEDs right next to each other without any issues. I'm assuming the MH's are mounted to some sort of canopy so you could just hang the heatsinks from that same canopy. In regards to the cross brace, it depends on how high up the LEDs are. If the LEDs are right on the cross brace then you will have to spread the LEDs apart so the brace isn't completely blocking the LEDs. I'm assuming the MHs are going to be mounted ~8" from the tank so the brace shouldn't matter much unless you have some narrow optics.

Archived