Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefing interest by season ... thoughts?

SchnauzerFace

SchnauzerFace

Hey everyone,

Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone find they are most excited about reef keeping in the spring and summer? While I care for my tanks year round, I've noticed over the years that my excitement really surges in the spring and summer. I've always attributed this to a combination of factors -- I'm a teacher, so the fall is busy with the new school year, then the winter is busy with the holidays, so it makes sense that the tanks would get pushed slightly aside. It also makes sense that I would spend more time on my tank in the summer because that's when I have a long break from work and more time for hobbies.

But, like many of us, I also get really excited about the lawn, flowers, veggie garden, etc at the same time. My wife said she thinks that it's a biological instinct kicking in and telling me to grow something. Since I'm primarily interested in corals and not fish, this makes sense. Is my DNA telling me to get off my rump and tend to my corals in the same way that it's telling me to spend more time on my green beans, tomatoes and bell peppers?

Sounds silly, but I wonder if there's something to it.

When I worked wholesale it was actually the opposite. In the spring / summer, people were outside enjoying the weather, and paying less time to their tanks. Come fall / winter when everyone was forced to stay inside with their tanks, we would get super busy. We would then have one last surge around tax season, and then the slow spring / summer would creep back around.

Markburns43

I get excited for the spring, getting my garden ready planters prepped, but I'm new to salt water and I got into it during winter but I could see how your thinking, its different for different foljs with different carreers I suppose. My lfs hates sunny days they slow down thry say. Rainy days are the best he says.

I started my tanks in the winter, and I see myself ramping up for another summer of paintball. Now, my tanks won't be neglected, but I probably won't spend AS much time sitting in front them marvelling at the mini ecosystem.

PS- These tanks, when combined with my cats, are the best form of therapy. Apparently I have mild PTSD, and that seasonal depression crap. Traditional shrink stuff is completely useless, scale and fuzzy therapy works!!

fall/winter is when I'm most interested in my tank, mostly becuase you're trapped indoors and need something to do. spring/summer comes and I'm busy a lot.

Archived