Cultivated Reef

Current Orbit Marine - Red Monti Cap?

VW_TDI_02

I can get a 3-4" frag for rather cheap but I'm wondering if I have enough light for one of these. I have a 20 long tank so it's pretty shallow and I could mount this on top of one of my rocks which would put it about 5" from the fixture itself. I'm growing LPS at that level without any problems but I'm not completely sure about this SPS. From what I've read, it is one of the easier SPS corals to grow.

reefernanoman

I can get a 3-4" frag for rather cheap but I'm wondering if I have enough light for one of these. I have a 20 long tank so it's pretty shallow and I could mount this on top of one of my rocks which would put it about 5" from the fixture itself. I'm growing LPS at that level without any problems but I'm not completely sure about this SPS. From what I've read, it is one of the easier SPS corals to grow.

If it starts turning brown, then you know that it's not enough light. My red(or orange) Monti cap grows like weeds either on my 10G tank with a PAR38, or my 28g nanocube with a 20 LED retro kit from Rapid LED. I gave my friend a very nice Monti frag from my red Monti and it just turned brown and died(he has a nuvo 20g with two skkye lights).

I would start at the top and of it starts to turn white instead of brown, bring it down towards the middle. Good luck.

It's one of the easiest to grow, but it still needs a strong and proper light.

Thanks and I think I will give it a shot. Worst case scenario I can always toss it in my sump. I have a 36 watt LED bulb coming in the mail either Saturday or Monday. I can adjust the height on that bulb and just let it grow in the sump. I plan on making that a little frag tank area since I am not doing a refugium.

Montipora caps are some the hardiest and easy to care corals there is. I've had some small pieces broken off, fell between the LR and it would still grow. The coral will tell you....

Awesome. The texted me a picture and it looks fantastic. I am waiting on a response as to when he will be available for me to pick it up. Unfortunately I have to head to the DMV tomorrow after teaching so I have no idea how long that will take but I'm hoping to be able to pick it up after that. I'm also on a different thread about this fixture and someone revived it and said that their monti caps are growing like crazy so I'm pretty hopeful. My magnesium supplement needs to hurry up and get here so that I can start raising my calc...

reefernanoman

Awesome. The texted me a picture and it looks fantastic. I am waiting on a response as to when he will be available for me to pick it up. Unfortunately I have to head to the DMV tomorrow after teaching so I have no idea how long that will take but I'm hoping to be able to pick it up after that. I'm also on a different thread about this fixture and someone revived it and said that their monti caps are growing like crazy so I'm pretty hopeful. My magnesium supplement needs to hurry up and get here so that I can start raising my calc...

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. I just got another text from him so if all goes well I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow before I go out of town on Saturday. I actually had an encrusting acan where I want put the monti cap and it appears to be getting bleached so I moved it down a bit. Works out since it was going to get moved anyways. It's interesting that my acan lord is closer to the light and looks great while the encrusting acan was getting bleached about 1-2" further from the light.

Archived