Innovative Marine Aquariums

GSP not opening

~LadyBug~

I picked up a GSP frag Friday night, and it opened well Friday evening and part of Saturday. It closed up Saturday afternoon, and hasn't opened since(now Monday evening). I tested the salinity on a hunch Sunday night, and it was pretty high, so I did a water change to lower it, but the GSP still hasn't opened.

It's a new tank, and this is the first coral in it, so I don't have anything else to gage living conditions off of.

It was a super healthy frag, it was open in the bag, and within 30 minutes of going in the tank; and it isn't that it's 'melted' or anything, it is clearly just royally ticked by something, the mat is still there, but the polyps are closed up super tight.

It's a 2.5 gallon pick with a 22K PAR30 LED light. The water temp is 78 degrees; I have an azoo Palm filter on the tank.

Any suggestions?

(Could it be flow? I had the palm laying around and I thought it would be plenty for such a tiny tank, but now I'm wondering if I don't need something a little stronger-maybe an AquaClear?)

post your parameters that would be the first step and how close is it to the light? also did you acclimate it to your water? how old is yyour tank? flow shouldnt matter in my opinion someone more knowledgeable would know but i moved mine 10 times and it opened in all flow areas for me g/l i hope it opens

btw your macro algae tank was awsome

It could be due to the high salinity, but it took my GSP at least four or five days to open. GSP are indestructible.

agreed mine did open a day later and slowly compared to now i cant believe how much more it opened

GSP is a good indicstor of water quality issues, sounds like the salinity could be the issue, but how do the rest of your parameters check out

Anything over 1.026 will cause it to close up. Flow isn't as important in this case as gsp can adapt to various conditions. As long as there is healthy circulation, you should be fine. Since tank is newly setup, check your other parameters as well.

It could be due to the high salinity, but it took my GSP at least four or five days to open. GSP are indestructible.

Agree! I use GSP from my main tank to test for new tank cycle. Usually when it opens up and happy is when I know tank is good to go. Even after a few weeks of not doing anything :)

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just give it a little while(sounds like up to a few weeks?) and try not to worry. I ran out of test strips, and haven't picked more up yet, so I can't test the other permams. at the moment >.<

btw your macro algae tank was awsome

agreed mine did open a day later and slowly compared to now i cant believe how much more it opened

Thanks! I really enjoyed that tank, it was a great learning experience. I'm planning some macro for this one too!

Archived