inTank Media Baskets

Ant's Retired 7g Shallow- Thread Moved

antsypants

antsypants

Small long distance update, had some diatoms pop up this past week so I went ahead and sent a reefcleaners package to my home. Mom picked it up and I guided her through the acclimation process over the phone haha :lol: Anyways, here are some cell pics she sent me. It looks like the nerites are doing well, can't tell about the ceriths yet from the photos but I'm expecting they'll be out and about within a couple days.

11202950_10200498227695177_6996815265024

1980346_10200498228855206_66969924257676

Anyways, John's service was really awesome and I, like everybody else who has dealt with reefcleaners, definitely recommend. If not for the amazing service then for free snails :P I'll be finishing up my first year of college real soon so the stocking phase won't be too long from now.

antsypants

I was able to come home this weekend, so to capitalize on the visit, I decided to finally add some life to the tank!

So I grabbed a rock nem and a porcelain crab :) Super cool relationship; paired up within a couple hours.

IMG_0486_zpsz3mdxn8a.jpg

Here's their placement in the tank

IMG_0470_zpsekcjtjxy.jpg

And here's the latest FTS

IMG_0489_zpsujly5rtg.jpg

• Like 3
antsypants

The simpleness of this is just AMAZING ! makes me want to start my tank.

Looking awesome. The simplicity really is killer.

Thanks guys :)

antsypants

so heres the deal. i need you to build me one of these. this tank is going to be one of the greats in about a year.

:lol: Most of my work was in the designing and assembling. My dad's who you need for all the hardware!

And thanks man, a year huh? Haha

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if you are still light hunting, but I second the Nanobox. I LOVE my tide, I'd buy a second one for my second tank when I have the money. Dave is a gem to work with and he even fixed my light when it was acting strange. The coral in my tank have really perked up with the light, and I'm starting to see more growth in the tank. They now come with a bluefish controller, I don't have that particular piece of equipment, however, even the storm controller gave you control over changing the "blueness or whiteness" of the tank so you can change it to your tastes....and then adjust it later if you want. :happy:

I'm not sure if you are still light hunting, but I second the Nanobox. I LOVE my tide, I'd buy a second one for my second tank when I have the money. Dave is a gem to work with and he even fixed my light when it was acting strange. The coral in my tank have really perked up with the light, and I'm starting to see more growth in the tank. They now come with a bluefish controller, I don't have that particular piece of equipment, however, even the storm controller gave you control over changing the "blueness or whiteness" of the tank so you can change it to your tastes....and then adjust it later if you want. :happy:

Got a mini tide used but with the storm controller. Wouldn't mind bluefish though ;) sometimes wished I'd bought it new though, ive heard Dave's customer service is as good as you say!

• Like 1

Here for a June update, everybody! Finally finished my first year of college soo.. I bought a couple things haha

Got a new nem :) Green and white. Super sassy... haha

IMG_0729_zpsfj3sl0zb.jpg

After introducing the second rock nem, I guess it got too snuggly with the first one so it moved... <_<

IMG_0726_zpsndqdiohu.jpg

Whyyyyyyyyyyy

IMG_0727_zpshq0uthje.jpg

The hammer from my other tank, fully extended now that it isn't being picked on by the sexies..Expecting a full recovery fingerscrossed

IMG_0730_zpsn6qnfav4.jpg

Some type of macro I picked up from Vivid Aquariums on my way home from Santa Barbara! Any help with ID would be cool

IMG_0731_zpshjdeqxbi.jpg

FTS- Excuse the dirty glass :S

IMG_0722_zpstzzadpiv.jpg

Sweat little tank! Keep it simple! Love it

Thanks! I'd like it simple but I also want to see the macros go crazy :)

Whatever the tank decides to grow, I guess :lol:

• Like 5

I thought rock nems were named so because they like to hang out on rocks!!!

IMG_0734_zpsx1k3fvvi.jpg

whyyyyyy

IMG_0733_zpski63ronk.jpg

WHYYYYY

IMG_0735_zpsuxsymckz.jpg

It even took the porcelain with it too!!

:lol: I am a mixture of amused and annoyed <_<

• Like 3

Looks to me like you picked up some Botryocladia, common name red grape. I have that stuff all over my tank now and I love the look.

Your tank is coming along nicely! I love those nems.

"Weeeeeee!!!" - porcelain crab

Hahah it moved even further uppp!!! Part of it is out of the water...

Looks to me like you picked up some Botryocladia, common name red grape. I have that stuff all over my tank now and I love the look.

Your tank is coming along nicely! I love those nems.

Awesome, looks like it. Thanks for the id and the compliments :)
  • Like 1
antsypants

Eep pulled the trigger on an online order ;0 never made a purchase this large in my entire reefing history but I couldn't help it hahah. Anyways, I ordered 7 ricordea Florida from saltcritters to kickstart Ric island :)

They arrived two days after placing my order, very well packaged in airless baggies inside a Styrofoam box (I'm not sure how they do it). Most made it alright, two were only slightly bleached. I'm hoping they color up more with time but overall, satisfied with the experience! I don't have many pictures right now since sister took the camera on a trip so cell pics will have to do for now :S more to come later, though

1435787203786445931308_zpsbeiyle6u.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Not much going on with the tank lately, couple bumps though.

Good news first :) Rics are doing well

IMG_1391_zpsn6uogj8a.jpg

IMG_1390_zpsy3dbjit5.jpg

As is the hammer:

IMG_1392_zps0vruixdq.jpg

And the red nem though it does enjoy walking all over the tank..

IMG_1393_zpsarkfiyfa.jpg

Unfortunately the green nem doesn't look too healthy. I got some help on the RFA thread so I'm just hoping it gets better with the changes I've made but not much improvement as of yet. Anybody know what's going on? Mouth seems to be agape, shrunken in size, loss of the white coloration seen in previous pics. It still reacts normally to touch and food and hasn't moved an inch.

IMG_1396_zpsaa8bsn5u.jpg

I also picked up a GARF frag but PE is minimal.. It might have something to do with the low nutrients or flow, I'm not sure. Thinking of picking up a small damsel to increase bio load?

IMG_1394_zpsh4nhiloe.jpg

Anyways, here's the FTS. Nanobox is crooked :( better fix that haha

IMG_1386_zpsfrrlvpeb.jpg

• 1 month later...

September already...? o_O

Ah well, took a quick FTS today:

IMG_4137_zpswdss5ped.jpg

Not much progress has been made, but it should fill in once I order some macros. Unfortunately, I believe some of the snails have taken a liking to the red grape caulerpa, only a couple branches from the original clipping remain. Luckily enough, the hitchhiker halimeda seems to be faring better and has grown a few new stems. Also picked up that huge rock nem in the back there from AquaSD :) It's brownish/pink with a green tint under bluer lights.

Also took a topdown:

IMG_4102_zpsb2ecv2s3.jpg

Hard to tell but the green rock nem I was having trouble with earlier seems to be recovering and getting its color back. Its mouth still gapes at times but it's been closing up so I'm taking that as a good sign. GARF base frag is still brownish but the polyps are bright green and fully extending. Now I just gotta be patient and let it encrust..

I also fashioned a mesh lid for the tank in case I find a fish I like. My stocking list right now is 1 mid sized nano fish (Royal Gramma/Azure Damsel/Firefish) and/or a pair of small nano goby (Trimma/Greenbanded/Neon/Masked) I'm leaning towards the 'or' option but the mix would be nice if I could pull it off. Anyways, let me know what you think!

• Like 2

Excellent tank ........ Love the minimalist aspect of it.

How often do you do water changes?

Thanks! I change about a gallon once a week as I siphon the sand bed and change out filter floss. I'm also thinking of running chemi pure once fish are added.

Awesome update,this thing is looking awesome.

As for the GARF,I don't think it's because of no nutrients. How long have you had it ? What're you're params ?! I've got quite a few sps and honestly I KNOW my water is dirtier than a Las Vegas hooker and I've got awesome color lol. Just give it some time,it'll color up man !!!

As for the fish,I'd look for some Trimma's. such spectacular fish !!!

Awesome update,this thing is looking awesome.

As for the GARF,I don't think it's because of no nutrients. How long have you had it ? What're you're params ?! I've got quite a few sps and honestly I KNOW my water is dirtier than a Las Vegas hooker and I've got awesome color lol. Just give it some time,it'll color up man !!!

As for the fish,I'd look for some Trimma's. such spectacular fish !!!

Thanks! And yeah I agree, is your bioload high though? I probably misspoke and meant that instead of low nutrients since I don't feed the tank much. I heard somewhere that larger systems with heavy feeding and high nutrient export produce the best PE and color.

And of course, a pair of trimma cana would be ideal if I could find them local and reasonably priced... I wouldn't mind a pair of masked gobies though- they look similar enough :)

Honestly,no. I have a hitchhiking Stomella,and that's it lol. I feed quite a bit though,Dr.G's SPS and LPS max 2-3 times a week,water changes once a week of a half gallon ( out of 2 gallon tank volume). I do run a Gnome Skimmer and run a large amount of GAC and a half tablespoon of GFO,which needs to be changed its like 2 months old lol.

I absolutely agree,a trace of everything is good. It's funny people always think to have SPS you need pristine. Everyone is different though,each tank is different. Mariculture SPS,from what I've learned,are less tolerable of unstable conditions.While Aquaculture pieces can tolerate unstable conditions. But yet I've had frags of Mari pieces and they did fine.

Such awesome little fish,really all gobies are though. My favorite are Neon Gobies or the Sharknose Goby. I want a pair or quad pair of Neon's for my 7 gallon. I will finish my rant though lol.