ReefCleaners.org

freshwater coraline algae?!

amphipod

Hello everyone, I had done a tank cleaning, first one in several years to my ten gallon freshwater, and as I was draining all the water something caught my eye. Blood red irregular border circle looked not unlike some coralline algae, I touched it and it felt rough and crusty, again just like coralline algae. I will post a pic once the tank is less turbid from the cleaning, which may be a couple days. So just asking is it possible, and where in the world could this have possibly come from, its been like a year since any new additions to the tank.

thats weird, did you ever use the tank for saltwater before?

no actually, not saying there is no way if cross contamination between tanks

I have seen this on my 20 gallon - fresh. It has red blotches that resemble coralline. Often wondered that myself. What manner of deposit is it. It's not rust either. I am familiar with rust stains.

thank you so much :) I have just added more calcium through a bone supplement pill ( I have already done things like this to keep guppies happy)

Here is the pic like I promisedattachicon.gifIMG_20150323_182320.jpg

Anyone else kept this before?

I have this in my 20 and its been spreading around the tank on the side. I am not sure how it got in there, but I have always noticed it. I think it was present when I got the tank initially, and it has been spreading - very slowly.

I have this in my 20 and its been spreading around the tank on the side. I am not sure how it got in there, but I have always noticed it. I think it was present when I got the tank initially, and it has been spreading - very slowly.

what do you keep in the tank, and is on a more lit side?

what do you keep in the tank, and is on a more lit side?

a couple of shrimp and a nerite. Nothing much really. I'd like to catch the remaining shrimp and the snail and move it elsewhere, but the bird uses the tank as a water fountain and drinks only from it.

That's kimda funny what kind of bird is it?

Pigeon.

b0e7b2f9-e1aa-42be-ada9-e27e3dcd503d.jpg

Sorry for the messy blurry s hot. but this stuff is all over the tank.

Its definitely a type of calcareous freshwater algae. I've had this in my tanks for years back in Florida. The tank I have back in Florida with my parents that's been going for 10 years has tons of this growing in the tank. The water source in Florida is very very high in CaCO2.

Pigeon. b0e7b2f9-e1aa-42be-ada9-e27e3dcd503d.jpgSorry for the messy blurry s hot. but this stuff is all over the tank.

how many years has that been growing? Pretty cool I'd say.
Plantedbliss

Pigeon.

b0e7b2f9-e1aa-42be-ada9-e27e3dcd503d.jpg

Sorry for the messy blurry s hot. but this stuff is all over the tank.

This is from the type of water you're using. I've had this before, I've searched and searched and figured out it was some sort of pinkish algae from the mineral deposits in well water or heavily treated city water. Nothing to worry about, you can just scrape it off. Happens to build up with newer tanks.

Our water is like liquid rock. Our water is treated with Ozone. And that tank is far from new. I don't want it off I rather like it.

Archived