SaltCritters.com

"LSOS" ? Cruise Control

Rural

just got back from the beach and the tank is doing well (as good as it can). the stunner has regrown all flesh and the trumpet is feeding and coloring up again. the duncan is still acting pissy. still. but the sps is doing ok now! clam and RFA are happy as well.

SO GLAD TO SEE THIS AGAIN!!!!!

glad to see some color again:

26768067620_14944c8b01_k.jpg

the RFA moved about 12" from where i put him in the corner... now he is dead center of the tank in HIGH light and LOW flow. here is a vid of him trying to eat:

Out F'n standing!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so here are my numbers:

Initially params fine. then no beuno....

Ca

140?----230----270----380---420----450----600

-----24h-----WC----24h---WC----96h----168h

Alk

19!------15.3---14.7----13.7--12-----7.0-----7.7

-----24h-----WC----24h---WC----96h----168h

i like steady. and back to normal. i increased alk dosing now. 4ml each 5x per day.

Have you checked your Mag Rural? My understanding is that low Mag will throw off your Cal and Alk readings, crazy how far those have swung.

thanks stella, feels good to be out of the "dark side". i have read that RFA can do pretty good anywhere. i have two options really right now in my tank, maybe three:

high light, mod flow

low light and flow

low light high flow

which is best? i put repositioned the rfa to the moderate flow and turned off the powerhead, hopefully it will attach. anywhere else you could see in my tank to put it?

i wouldnt chance it again. i dunno what did it but my changes were: temp spike, alk spike, pumps inc 30% and lights dec 30% ????

Oops! I'm slow! yeah, as you saw they're gonna go where they want to go. I have a few that sit in high light and high flow then some in low light and low flow. Some of mine like to go on walk abouts then others have stayed in the same place where I placed them months ago! They're funny creatures.

Have you checked your Mag Rural? My understanding is that low Mag will throw off your Cal and Alk readings, crazy how far those have swung.

normal then high then normal...

normal then high then normal...

:huh: at a loss bud, salt mix inconsistency? Definitely something strange going on.

• 2 weeks later...

update

Ca

140?----230----270----380---420----450----600--xxx---xxx

-----24h-----WC----24h---WC----96h----168h--168h--WC

Alk

19!------15.3---14.7----13.7--12-----7.0-----7.7---5.5----6.1

-----24h-----WC----24h---WC----96h----168h--168h--WC

was 4ml each 5x per day (for one week), now 6ml each 5x day.

the RFA is eating well now. sps are getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

it's taken a while but i'm bouncing back! AND I'M CROWDED!

27613643395_2a9ba4bac9_k.jpg

now my next issue, should i get a new setup? retire this one, sell local, or try to keep two going, or just pass up the offer?

my LFS owner is very very honest and has an extra tank setup in his personal house ready to sell. it is about 60 gallons 21"x36" floor i think? comes with a radion 30, mp40, sump, return, plumbing, live rock, maybe a stand, and i think a skimmer too....

bottom line he quoted over $3000 and will sell for $1000 as he needs motorcycle money.

Should i get it?

now my next issue, should i get a new setup? retire this one, sell local, or try to keep two going, or just pass up the offer?

my LFS owner is very very honest and has an extra tank setup in his personal house ready to sell. it is about 60 gallons 21"x36" floor i think? comes with a radion 30, mp40, sump, return, plumbing, live rock, maybe a stand, and i think a skimmer too....

bottom line he quoted over $3000 and will sell for $1000 as he needs motorcycle money.

Should i get it?

Glad to see you recovering! I think yes! You know we are all enablers here.

Should i get it?

There's really only one answer here....

There's really only one answer here....

I think you are right... And I already have wife's permission. Now gotta work out this money issue...

I think you are right... And I already have wife's permission. Now gotta work out this money issue...

Let me help, me and Stella have already had this discussion..

137516-137692_zpsoberleup.jpg

kidney_zpsltfh5nmk.jpg

I swear the guy in the bottom picture works at ASD and is coming for my kidney soon.

I went to see the tank and it is HUGE! omg! I don't know if I can keep a tank like that? It's 3ft Long and 20ish inches deep and wide. With the sump it's about 75 gallons. Has an eshops skimmer rated for 170gallons. No doubt it is a steal..... It's all star fire glass.

Still thinking...

I went to see the tank and it is HUGE! omg! I don't know if I can keep a tank like that? It's 3ft Long and 20ish inches deep and wide. With the sump it's about 75 gallons. Has an eshops skimmer rated for 170gallons. No doubt it is a steal..... It's all star fire glass.

Still thinking...

Well, one thing you certainly don't wanna do is turn your hobby into a burden that sucks the enthusiasm out of you. Reefkeeping is hard enough, especially after going through an event like you just did. My wife has talked about me getting another larger tank for the living room and I totally can't see enough time in my life to properly care for two right now. So while really want to say "Do it!" I understand your dilemma and think that making sure it is right for you and your situation is a good idea.

Sk8n Reefer

Hey man, tanks is looking crowed and nice! What did you decide on the larger tank? You'll be able to handle a tank that size- a few more gallons on w/c's and your good- what about an ATO? Get a good size container to try and last 7-14 days for vacation time ?

Hey man, tanks is looking crowed and nice! What did you decide on the larger tank? You'll be able to handle a tank that size- a few more gallons on w/c's and your good- what about an ATO? Get a good size container to try and last 7-14 days for vacation time

thanks sk8n,

sorry but i passed on it... for now. it was very nice, a steal and would have been perfect if i was at a different place in life. meaning, money isnt exactly great, time off is limited (3 days a month), and i will have to move the tank 3 times in the next 3 years. it also would not fit in the old tanks spot and we would have to have put in in another less viewable spot. it does make me upset that i had to pass.

ill guess ill keep #dreaming of a tank and hopefully get a larger one eventually. a custom shallow 75-100 gallon tank with too many leds.

Let me help, me and Stella have already had this discussion..

137516-137692_zpsoberleup.jpg

kidney_zpsltfh5nmk.jpg

I swear the guy in the bottom picture works at ASD and is coming for my kidney soon.

:lol: yes. Yes we have.

Sk8n Reefer

thanks sk8n,

sorry but i passed on it... for now. it was very nice, a steal and would have been perfect if i was at a different place in life. meaning, money isnt exactly great, time off is limited (3 days a month), and i will have to move the tank 3 times in the next 3 years. it also would not fit in the old tanks spot and we would have to have put in in another less viewable spot. it does make me upset that i had to pass.

ill guess ill keep #dreaming of a tank and hopefully get a larger one eventually. a custom shallow 75-100 gallon tank with too many leds.

Ah, yes timing is everything, plenty of time to upgrade when the time is right.

Your tank looks like it is still doing really well - loved the last fotos ? I am slowly making some gains on the Dino's

Christopher Marks

It sounds like it was wise to pass it up, even if it was a sweet deal. Now you can plan for a new system down the road after one of those 3 moves, ideally the very last one :lol:

The tank is looking awesome and jam packed from above, I'd love to see a FTS from the front!

Your tank looks like it is still doing really well - loved the last fotos

The tank is looking awesome and jam packed from above, I'd love to see a FTS from the front!

thanks guys! just got on to upload a SURPRISE!!!!

my JF JoL that croaked... well i did the whole plate coral theory of just leave the skeleton in the tank. well, i think the babies are growing now? or other coral seeded the skeleton? i dunno? when they get bigger i will know.

ill get you a FTS as well, soon!

27869828002_66b410b1a4_b.jpg

and here is a pic for the almost 2y anniversary:

27870084132_c025413f2c_k.jpg

real pic update soon...

• 4 weeks later...

small update:

KH 8.3, Ca ~1200

Q1: how do i get this Ca right? i am only dosing about 6ml/day to keep the lines open on the doser and am dosing about 24ml alk.

and a pic of course...

28564329886_05e5a63ddd_b.jpg

update coming i promise.

Archived