Innovative Marine Aquariums

does brown jelly disease affect all lps?

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

All of the lps in my tank, especially the big torch, frogspawn, and hammer, are all receeding and not extending at all. Now I know brown jelly disease is common for those types of corals but also my chalice and acan are looking bad as well. Does brown jelly also affect other corals besides euphyllia?

Brown jelly can affect a lot of different corals, and is a sign of bad water quality combined with injury to the corals

+1

I would QT all of the affected coral. Just a precaution so It wont spread to healthy livestock.

All of the lps in my tank, especially the big torch, frogspawn, and hammer, are all receeding and not extending at all. Now I know brown jelly disease is common for those types of corals but also my chalice and acan are looking bad as well. Does brown jelly also affect other corals besides euphyllia?

The short answer is yes. I had it consume an Acan colony in two days once after I did something stupid. In my case it was a trauma that caused the whole thing to start.

Do you actually have anything with brown jelly on it or are you asking if that is whats effecting your corals? Brown jelly is hard to miss and if every single coral is behaving like something is wrong I would check the water parameters before I started moving things around. It usually starts on one coral and then might travel to others, its a bacterial infection. Test your water, post the results, and start making some fresh salt water because a water change is most likely in your future.

tdannhauser30

sorry for not responding guys, was home for spring break and while youd think that would be the time i wasnt busy and would be on here that wasnt the case. First thank you all for responding. It isnt all the corals, every soft coral is fine, but almost all of my lps are affected by it. As soon as i was home i tested everything, Nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, calcium carbonate (is this the same thing as alk?) and calcium levels, and salinity. Everything was good, quite clean actually. I am pretty sure its brown jelly cause ive seen the brown jelly slime on the torch and am quite certain thats it. In any case I dont remember all of the measurments but I do remember nitrate and trite were 0, calcium was close to 500 (dont remember the unit that was being measured ) . Everything else while I dont remember was well within what was deemed normal by the test. Anyway I think my corals may have been stressed by the red slime remover product I used recently. I have performed 2 five gal. water changes since then, changed out carbon, phosphate remover, and added a bit of a poly pad to the purigen in my filtration compartment. Unfortunately I dont have a quarantine tank set up, or a light I could put over it and am already back at school, so right now I guess my plan is to keep the water clean, keep the corals well fed, and try to keep my hands out of the tank and keep it stress free (when I say my hands i mean my brothers, he takes care of the tank in my absense so he will be doing the feeding and maintenance). Sorry I know this was not organized at all and pretty much a dumb reefer rambling , but thank you all for reading it!! wish me luck!

also let me add that my brother in my absence maybe a few weeks ago decided he wanted to re scape the tank... Now he wont admit to it but I have a sneaking suspicion that some corals may have been banged up during this, so that could be what maybe caused injuries in the first place.

You are fine, at least you responded back unlike some users. How olds your bro? I hope everything heals up, but these infections can be pretty severe.

tdannhauser30

You are fine, at least you responded back unlike some users. How olds your bro? I hope everything heals up, but these infections can be pretty severe.

Thaks, and its over a year old, probably like a year and 3 months roughly. Yeah I hope it all heals but its not looking good. Everything I read seems lke 85 percent of the stories end in death. Plate died, chalice looks terrible, hammer getting more and more into skeleton. Torch ( my biggest and favorite coral) and frogspawn both seem like they are trying to fight it but I definitely wouldnt say they are winning. Oh well though, I came into this hobby knowing I would hit disaster at some point and probably lose some corals... Just why does it have to be my torch lol, been with me from the beginning. Oh well though hopefully the reef gods take pity on me and it all turns around haha.

Are there any uninfected portions of corals? Surgery may be necessary. I'd say get you a sharp razor knife, lugol iodine if you can obtain it and peroxide. Give it an iodine dip. Take the coral and find limits of necrotic tissue and jellied portions drip iodine on necrotic tissue and dip razor in peroxide for sterilization and chop off the entire infected and necrotic area, you will need a separate healing tank for the newly surgeried corals rehabilitation.

tdannhauser30

Are there any uninfected portions of corals? Surgery may be necessary. Here is someone else's jelly problem and solution. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703213

Thank you very much, Im nervous to do anything because im no expert on it and im just not 100 percent sure its brown jelly. Like im 99.9 percent, definitely saw it on the torch and while I havent seen it on the others or atleast it hasnt caught my eye ( been very busy) but I think im just going to let it go and hope for the best. Especially with me being away I cant have my brother be doing things like that. I will be home this weekend and will assess it further. I put a bit more flow on the torch to try to keep any slime off of it and hopefully things will be a little more comfortable and happy when im home.... some wishful thinking though.. lol

Also after infection is cut away bleach exposed skeloton with peroxide until the tissue is all gone from the skeloton of infected area this will be a very difficult task and avoid touching healthy portions with the peroxide.

How old is brother?

I edited post for method I felt was most likely best working

I usually never edit my posts

tdannhauser30

haha your fine dont worry about it, I appreciate all the help your giving me. Ive got a few spare tanks sitting around so i could theoretically set up a qt tank but i wouldnt have a strong light. I wonder what would be worse if I were to do the surgery and treatments. if i was to put them in a qt tank without a light for a few days to recover, or put it back into the nanocube into the same environment. I guess I could pop the nanocube hood off and put it high up over the 10 gal some time.. just for a few hours at night to give it some light lol. The struggles of being so poor you have to make one light support two tanks lol

Trust me I understand, I'm stuck using sunlight to grow aiptasia for fun on live rock along side several other unorthodox tanks that would be considered quite unusual here.

tdannhauser30

haha oh i know, ive lurked on a few of your threads, (rock salt in a tank? lol) I like your projects haha. Its cool, like those things are still part of the life on the reef, There isnt any reason they shouldnt be kept as well. Ive often thought about setting up a tank like that, so low maintenance there is very little downside I feel haha.

Archived