SaltCritters.com

Advice on improving aesthetic

Dlc27

So I have this Current USA Orbit Marine now over my new 20 Fusion, and I'm happy with the form factor, and programming capabilities, it is super bright (no shadows), and my livestock are doing/are going to do well under it. It's a great little light for the price, and I'd probably never have ended up posting this if I hadn't started out this hobby with a Nanobox Tide over my little 8 gallon. Since I am spoiled, though, I need some experts to chime in with advice. I miss the color of my Nanobox!

I've been looking a the adhesive strip lights, but I'm not positive what color I'm missing, or if that will work like I think,it will.

I've found the TrueLumen Rose led strip and LED USA tape strips in red for aquarium application, and 3200k warm white that they sell as kitchen cabinet strips (I'm guessing those aren't waterproof).

Would one of these choices improve the color I'm seeing in my tank? Would they blend ok taped next to the Orbit's 445/460nm and 8000/12000k leds?

Anyone have a better idea in the same price range? I'm open to figuring out a DIY alternative too as long as I don't end up paying over again what I paid for the Orbit.

I'm not expecting to find a solution that will match the Nanobox quality, but I need to figure out if I can be content with this light while I still have time to return it. Of course if I do that my alternative is running my tide over the tank until I can save up or sell my Nuvo setup for a Duo. I just hate spending $450 when its soooooo much more light than my livestock need.

Caravanshaka

I think you are hitting the exact point why "more light than I need" is a bad argument. It's not about the amount of light, it's about the quality of light. The nanobox has the best spectrum I have seen from any LED cluster, and to mimic the aesthetics with another setup will be very hard. It's dimmable to allow you to run it on several size tanks and get the right power.

I would stay away from trying to make an inferior product just ok, and run the tide for now and upgrade to a duo when resources permit. Or, add another tide and see if Dave can make it so it syncs up with the controller on your first tide, then you can run them both on the fusion 20. I like that solution best since you can put the lights at any width you want.

Or, add another tide and see if Dave can make it so it syncs up with the controller on your first tide, then you can run them both on the fusion 20. I like that solution best since you can put the lights at any width you want.

I don't think syncing the lights should not be an issue. I have a NanoBox Quad over my Nuvo 24 and a NanoBox Mini over my Nuvo 8. The tanks are set up side-by-side. Both are controlled by the same Bluefish. The lights are sync'd with one another, but I could offset one if I wanted too. I'm sure the same could be done with a Storm controller.

Caravanshaka

Yes, it is easy for anyone that is familiar with the wiring, but if you let Dave know as he builds it, he can wire it to have it plug and play with the controller he currently has. Just have to ask :)

Yeah, going with another tide is an option. I thought about it, and my storm will control both together, but I wasn't sure how I would like two fixtures over the tank. Plus the housing on mine is white and tan, which doesn't really go with the new setup. I am about to send mine in to Dave to replace the fan so I guess I could just get him to change the housing, and order another to match at the same time.....

Of course by the time I get it in, it may be to late to return the Orbit. I guess it would sell here eventually for the right price. Ahhhh. I wish I had known how very different the color would be! I was just so focused on function.

Archived