SaltCritters.com

scarlet dragonet

beanhead

I just got one of these little guys from the LFS he has obvious signs of malnutrition, so i got him at a discounted price in hopes i could save him. He is in my 26 gallon that is over two years old with an established pod population. I have rubble rock piles added to enhance pod growth and purchased some masago (capelin roe) to try and establish a new feeding method. has anyone had success with feeding roe to dragonets? how did you get them to adapted to it? any other feeding tricks for a dragonet in a nano are also greatly appreciated.

Get a small breeder box that sits inside the tank...put the dragonet inside the acrylic box and start spot feeding him and train him!

i had a Picturesque Mandarin who ate roe and brine as well as flakes. I repopulated pods and still failed, 14g biocube. Had him for about 4 months.

Might be hit or miss, might be a total fail in a nano.

CronicReefer

Most mandarins/dragonets will eat roe pretty regularly (try prawn or lobster roes to start). As long as you can sustain a thriving pod population your dragonet should do just fine.

I did the same thing, both my ruby red and red dragonets were super skinny when I got them. My ruby red is now deffinately well fed and the other is coming along nicely. Both of mine readily swim up to snatch at any bits I feed the other fish I have, but Ive worked too hard to establish very good populations in both my tanks(10g. And 30gal.) to train them to eat other stuff. I enjoy seeing the pods on the glass and having that layer of the foodchain in my tanks.

I trained mine to eat mysis pretty easily. The trick was to turn the pumps off for about 20 minutes and let it find the food.

• 8 months later...

I just got a male today from my local lfs....he was there for a few months and was already trained to eat frozen....he's been wrecking pods all day...lol....and he ate some of my own frozen mix....consist of mysis, enriched brine, salmon, tuna, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, nls gel, blood worms, garlique and oyster feast....

I had bought 2 mandarin goby's different times and was successful in getting both of them to eat brine shrimp. The way I got them to eat was have them separate in a 10gal tank with no other fish. I turned off all pumps and target feed them everyday. Took about 3-5 days before they actually put the shrimp in their mouth but didn't eat just yet. Took about a week before they actually started to eat with no problems. Moved them in my 45gal and they eat well. The only thing I notice with my success is they can't be with any other fish cause it seems they get timid, and reason why I say that is cause I tried it before with different fish in my tank and had no success in trying to get a mandarin to eat brine shrimp. Good luck with yours.

Archived