ReefCleaners.org

I screwed up big time

Cove

As I recharged my purigen, the process caused a little tear in the bag. I thought safety pins were stainless steel and now the things rusted D: My corals lost a bit of colour but everything is still plump and open! I did a 2 gallon water change anything else I should do?

Standard 10 gallon

Royal Gramma
ORA Sharknose Goby

12lbs rock
HOB Filter w/floss and purigen at one point lol
thin half ass sand bed

water chemistry is on point

When you say rusted, I assume you mean red colored corrosion. As in iron oxide. If it is not this, then I'd be worried. Iron isn't too big of a deal because think of all the GFO that's run in people's tanks. This leaches iron into the water. Also, just because its stainless steel doesn't mean it wont rust eventually. Its corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof. Anything that sits in saltwater long enough corrodes.

The iron rust isn't the problem. Its the nickel in stainless steel that you should be worried about. I hope you are gotten rid of those safety pins and are using something better.

Yes I got rid of everything! I'm going to throw a new batch of chemi pure blue in my filter to help clear the water.

Get some Polyfilter and run a piece of it in a filter to remove any contaminants.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=PB1111&child=PB1111&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=PB1111&gclid=CPnssJu_tcQCFUY6gQodorIAOQ

Don't have access to this stuff in Canada. I do have someone bringing me some of Stevies filter floss if thats anything similar though.

Don't have access to this stuff in Canada. I do have someone bringing me some of Stevies filter floss if thats anything similar though.

No, Polyfilter can actually remove contaminants. It should be available in Canada from someone.

No, Polyfilter can actually remove contaminants. It should be available in Canada from someone.

Thanks Ill take a look!

Archived