inTank Media Baskets

Question about tearing down and rebuilding a tank after dinoflagellates

Steve973

After dinoflagellates have wreaked havoc on my tank, I have decided to remove all of the rock and sand and start over. Sure, I might be able to battle for the long haul, but it is severely keeping me from being able to enjoy my tank. It killed the few SPS frags that I had, and my green/purple hammer coral, as well as many motile inverts. I have been able to slightly control it with cycles of lights out, and peroxide MAY have had a bit of impact, but I've reached a point where I'm not able to make much more progress, and I just want to fix it.

When I tear everything down, I am pretty sure that I can reliably clean all traces of it off of my glass and the equipment that I am using. But I have a little bit of it on a couple of plug-mounted zoanthid frags that I would like to save, if possible. I could give them coral rx and peroxide dips, and maybe even isolate them in buckets for a while. But if I do that, am I greatly increasing my risk of re-introducing the plague back into my tank after rebuilding it? Is this a really bad idea, and should I just chuck the zoanthids and start over completely?

Can you cut the zoas off the plug and put them on a new plug?

Are you planning to use the same rock?

Not a complete plan, but I would bleach and/or acid bath the rocks if you are planning to re-use them - of course this means starting over as well though with cycling the tank and such.

My plan is to discard all of the rock and sand in the tank, and clean everything very well, then start with new rock and sand (and water). I have minimal tank inhabitants left: 3 small zoa colonies, 2 percula, and a peppermint shrimp. I will most likely donate the peppermint shrimp to a friend when I tear the tank down.

The reason I would not is because they can import again even when you add a fish, they bring in hh on slime coats. The critical item not used here is uv and I think you shouldn't take it down, could happen again, we best dinos with oversized uv lots of times. Get a pond sterilizer 50x too big for your tank, works well.

Simply adding the old fish puts dinos right back in

Buying new fish from the store does as well, we can fix.

Get a pond sterilizer 50x too big for your tank, works well.

How am I going to get a UV sterilizer onto a nano? And since it colonizes (and the problem isn't primarily in the water column) how does a uv sterilizer fix them? I have done a lot of research, and this is the first I've heard of using UV sterilization to combat dinoflagellates.

Read last five pages of big peroxide thread see porkchop

there is a water transitory phase that's unaccounted for so far. We beat these things, solve the large uv problem. Small pond pump and external uv sounds like any other install

these are stuck to your fishs slime coat and will reinfect

hesitancy allowed dominance, we take it back

start over nt good option

be creative in aquisition

used pond gear craigslist don't get mugged

Run the temporary uv, it doesn't stay hooked up forever, its an onslaught

this is dialysis to fix the mass allowed to build

your hand removal is key, remove 100% with tons of scrubbing and water changes

Archived