Coral Vue Hydros

NEWBIE With my version on the Mr Aqua 12g *RETIRED*

Lynton

Cencalfishguy56

if you can try and find black tubing. algae and crap seems to build up in the clear stuff

Sancho, I agree with just about everything you stated... except for the following.

Magnetic drive pumps are actually more efficient with head pressure. There isn't anything wrong with placing a quality valve on the output side of a return pump.

Flexible tubing does tend to create less head pressure than PVC elbows.

I agree guys and actually I didn't want to put a ball valve just a suggestion just thinking of a check valve which would prevent a back siphon in the event of a power outage, and I have found black vinyl tuning for that exact reason! Lol plus it gives a much cleaner look for whenever people check out the tank

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't rely on check valves. They have a relatively short life; and if you count on them and they fail, you could have a flood. It's better to plan your return nozzle and sump so that check valves aren't required.

if you can try and find black tubing. algae and crap seems to build up in the clear stuff

Was going to get black tubing but they never had any at the time so I bought the green, thinking it's got to be better that the clear in the long run due to potential algae build up..

Thats the pump I'm using.

40D654A7-297E-446E-B619-D8336D8D9501_zps

Cencalfishguy56

I wouldn't rely on check valves. They have a relatively short life; and if you count on them and they fail, you could have a flood. It's better to plan your return nozzle and sump so that check valves aren't required.

After thinking about it some more thinking I'll agree and ditch the check valve and just stick to a ball valve to regulate flow, everytime I read your stuff can't help but read it as if it were spongebob haha

After thinking about it some more thinking I'll agree and ditch the check valve and just stick to a ball valve to regulate flow, everytime I read your stuff can't help but read it as if it were spongebob haha

Lol well u guys know more than what I do, so I'm trusting you ... The only way I'll,learn is from getting it set and running but always wana get an opinion because it can't hurt

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: WE HAVE WATER!!

FIlled her up today today for her 1st water test, had a small drip in one of the pipes on the left side of the tank so took it off and cut it straight and put it back on and so far so good! After worrying about ball valves, taps and my dump draining to quick everything seems good but I'm a it worried about flow and water agitation...

Off on holiday for a week now so going to leave for a week see how things go and then hopefully by end of the month I'll have sand, more rock, salt water and a cycling tank!

Lol it's guna b for my clowns as I'm not really in to anemones TBH.. When the tanks up and running I would like to put sum GSP or sum thing similar to grow around it

UPDATE: WE HAVE WATER!!

FIlled her up today today for her 1st water test, had a small drip in one of the pipes on the left side of the tank so took it off and cut it straight and put it back on and so far so good! After worrying about ball valves, taps and my dump draining to quick everything seems good but I'm a it worried about flow and water agitation...

Off on holiday for a week now so going to leave for a week see how things go and then hopefully by end of the month I'll have sand, more rock, salt water and a cycling tank!

Wooo! Slowly but surely you'll get there!

Wooo! Slowly but surely you'll get there!

Yea I'm not a patient man but in this hobbie you need to be!!!

Yea I'm not a patient man but in this hobbie you need to be!!!

Agreed! That's the one true thing I've learned about this hobby. Nothing good happens fast!

Agreed! That's the one true thing I've learned about this hobby. Nothing good happens fast!

I'll just b happy with a pair of clown fish in it lol

UPDATE:

BD121D02-4975-4C71-B417-30DAE52E2B0B_zps

Well after a week on holiday came home to water in the tank still, no leaks, everything running smoothly and over all I'm pleased.. Just Gota watch evaporation, as I was gone a week and lost about 1/2".

I Emptied and cleaned out both tank and sump and as you can see from the picture I've now put crushed coral in and last piece of rock and I'm really happy.. Also added another pump as I was worried about dead spots.. Will be getting Water sorted this week and hopefully get that's dreaded CYCLE started asap.

What you guys think? Appreciate your opinions?

Looks nice. It's fine either way, but will the center rock extend above the water line? Just make sure you have room for your planned coral on top of the rocks.

Looks nice. It's fine either way, but will the center rock extend above the water line? Just make sure you have room for your planned coral on top of the rocks.

Yea the middle rock will prob stick out about 1". It's guna b softies/LPS with a handful oh SPS dotted around but that could possibly change lol

Sweet tank!

Thank you was inspired by the 12g long Mr Aqua but just made a little bigger.. 48" x 10" 10"

This was why I wanted a custom Mr Aqua.. CC6AB77E-835C-4049-9E14-5EFD8D4813EB_zps

ReeferReefer

Thank you was inspired by the 12g long Mr Aqua but just made a little bigger.. 48" x 10" 10"

This was why I wanted a custom Mr Aqua.. CC6AB77E-835C-4049-9E14-5EFD8D4813EB_zps

Well I can see how you would be inspired by that. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Keep us updated!

Well I can see how you would be inspired by that. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Keep us updated!

Will do should have salt water in it today fingers crossed...

Remember to top off with fresh water (RO/DI), not salt, to replace evaporation!

Just ### back from a week away and left it with water to test for leaks and had about 2" evap over that week and as I'm from the UK I'm not worried cus we don't get that much warm weather as it is lol

charnelhouse

Just ### back from a week away and left it with water to test for leaks and had about 2" evap over that week and as I'm from the UK I'm not worried cus we don't get that much warm weather as it is lol

The problem with evap in salt tanks is that it will cause your salinity to fluctuate. H2O evaporates, salt does not. That's why you shouldn't top off with salt water. An ATO is the best option. Coral really do not like salinity swings.

1/2" of evap (I'm assuming you meant 1/2" like you said in an earlier post) in your 48x12 tank is about 1.25 gallons. There are formulas out there that will tell you how much that will cause salinity to change. Bottom line is using an ATO will make life significantly easier ;)

ALSO: don't spell come that way, N-R is a family site.... :lol:

a

The problem with evap in salt tanks is that it will cause your salinity to fluctuate. H2O evaporates, salt does not. That's why you shouldn't top off with salt water. An ATO is the best option. Coral really do not like salinity swings.

1/2" of evap (I'm assuming you meant 1/2" like you said in an earlier post) in your 48x12 tank is about 1.25 gallons. There are formulas out there that will tell you how much that will cause salinity to change. Bottom line is using an ATO will make life significantly easier ;)

ALSO: don't spell come that way, N-R is a family site.... :lol:

Yea sorry I missed the 1 lol... 1/2" in a week

ATO will b a purchase asap, I've only got RO water in the house at the min so I'm safe there when it comes to topping up! ;)

Lol ok will def keep that word in check

UPDATE: couldn't wait any longer so went got a bottle of ATM colony and here are the results..

F257A240-2D68-4250-8129-D1A569E701F2_zps

904BFECC-3C35-48C5-8A87-991AAAF880F0_zps

Two black ice clowns and a clown goby, they are settling in nicely.. Haven't got names for them yet tho..

Archived