Innovative Marine Aquariums

NEWBIE With my version on the Mr Aqua 12g *RETIRED*

Lynton

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BOBBARKER68

Read through your build looks like you are off to a great start! I could not help but notice how similar your build is to mine up to and including the title.

If your stand is raw, you are going to want too put several coats of polyurethane on it to protect. Also if you check out my build i have the razor light you can see what it looks like 12in above tank.

I will be following.

Read through your build looks like you are off to a great start! I could not help but notice how similar your build is to mine up to and including the title.

If your stand is raw, you are going to want too put several coats of polyurethane on it to protect. Also if you check out my build i have the razor light you can see what it looks like 12in above tank.

I will be following.

Apologies if you think I'm trying to copy you but that's further from the truth...

I am following your tank and I'm following a lot of long nano tanks on here cus I just love the shape of the tank and tbh I got inspired by the torched tank on you tube and on here when I finally found the thread... I'm from the UK and we don't see or get these kind of tanks over here and as soon as I saw one I wanted one just abit bigger and longer.

BOBBARKER68

Oh no i am not mad sorry it came off that way, it was just funny to see the title. Build on my friend, i am also following yours

Oh no i am not mad sorry it came off that way, it was just funny to see the title. Build on my friend, i am also following yours

My build isn't coming along as quickly as yours and I'm not DIY man which sucks cus I love wat you have done with your stand..

I really struggled with finding one and I'd love to have built one like you have.... This stand is actually a side board like yours but just not modified... Luckily everything fits perfectly but Its all about the plumbing now I was guna do sumthing like you have but put plumbing down the side and in but now my wife loves the stand as it goes with all other furniture in the house i can't drill no holes anywhere.. So I'm stumped

BOBBARKER68

My build isn't coming along as quickly as yours and I'm not DIY man which sucks cus I love wat you have done with your stand..

I really struggled with finding one and I'd love to have built one like you have.... This stand is actually a side board like yours but just not modified... Luckily everything fits perfectly but Its all about the plumbing now I was guna do sumthing like you have but put plumbing down the side and in but now my wife loves the stand as it goes with all other furniture in the house i can't drill no holes anywhere.. So I'm stumped

ok i will ponder on this with you

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: not really much to say with the build really life has taken over so the build has taken even more time than I expected . All I need is sand, one more piece of rock and a skimmer... Then it's time to get wet

I'm really struggling with plumbing as when I first wanted a set up I was going to drill a hole in the stand each side so both pipes would go straight down in to the sump but now the wife doesn't like that idea! now I'm stuck as I'm not a very good DIY man and being new to the hobbie I'm stuck for idea really?

4454D86B-55E5-46B6-ADAF-E70B2721E56B_zps

As u can see from the picture I got some tubing just to try and get it going but after seeing sumps on here with gate valves etc and how nice and tidy they are I was hoping to do the same..

really want the pipes going to the back and down because I have a future tank build in mind that will be using a Herbie plumbing system. (Hopefully)

SO PLEASE HELP

Many thanks

UPDATE: not really much to say with the build really life has taken over so the build has taken even more time than I expected . All I need is sand, one more piece of rock and a skimmer... Then it's time to get wet

I'm really struggling with plumbing as when I first wanted a set up I was going to drill a hole in the stand each side so both pipes would go straight down in to the sump but now the wife doesn't like that idea! now I'm stuck as I'm not a very good DIY man and being new to the hobbie I'm stuck for idea really?

As u can see from the picture I got some tubing just to try and get it going but after seeing sumps on here with gate valves etc and how nice and tidy they are I was hoping to do the same..

really want the pipes going to the back and down because I have a future tank build in mind that will be using a Herbie plumbing system. (Hopefully)

SO PLEASE HELP

Many thanks

Do you have room behind the tank for the plumbing? How did you plan on setting it up? Are those holes set up to be 1 drain and 1 return. Or are they both drains and you have a return that is not visible in the pics?

There will b room for plumbing behind as I've pushed it up against the wall for now, when it's up and running it will pulled out..

Yea the right side will b the drain and left return.

My 1st idea was just to go straight down through the stand and in to the sump but my wife like the stand and does not want hole drilled out the top for the plumbing

Just angle the elbows off of the bulkheads down and back (at a 45° angle). Then drill holes in the back for your flexible tubing (with a few extra fittings, it would work with PVC as well).

I think I'm going need gate valves to slow the flow when it drains and returns can I still use those with tubing?

So with what u have suggested do you think I'll need valves then or anything similar to help with quick drainage/return water?

You'll probably need an external Durso drain. Will you be using an overflow like the ones from Glass-Holes.com? http://www.glass-holes.com/Overflow-Kits_c3.htm

So with what u have suggested do you think I'll need valves then or anything similar to help with quick drainage/return water?

If the return pump isn't too strong, you should be able to do your plumbing without valves.

Those are pretty cool.

I'm not sure if it would help any to put a hole in the top of the elbow with an airline tube sticking through it like this:

13201897780591087472135.jpeg

I suppose you could try it first without a hole and add one if you needed to later on.

Those are pretty cool.

I'm not sure if it would help any to put a hole in the top of the elbow with an airline tube sticking through it like this:13201897780591087472135.jpeg

I suppose you could try it first without a hole and add one if you needed to later on.

Stupid question but wat will it actually do? I'm new to the hobbie so still have a lot to learn as u as u can tell

Would one of them be ok?

092D9EFF-A5E7-4548-9A85-5B6F196C70FB_zps

Just angle the elbows off of the bulkheads down and back (at a 45° angle). Then drill holes in the back for your flexible tubing (with a few extra fittings, it would work with PVC as well).

thats what I was thinking. You want to avoid using 90 degree fittings and try to minimize the amount of 45 degree fittings. I don't have the chart in front of me but if you google it there is a chart out there that helps you calculate head loss with different fittings. That will help when choosing your return pump. A lot of people over look this and end up with a pump that is not right for the system. And the result is a post here about a noisy tank or sump. Your other option since the tank is drilled already is plug the holes with a bulkhead plug and drill the back for the herbie. The tank looks great. To bad we have women in our lives to muck up the plans.

thats what I was thinking. You want to avoid using 90 degree fittings and try to minimize the amount of 45 degree fittings. I don't have the chart in front of me but if you google it there is a chart out there that helps you calculate head loss with different fittings. That will help when choosing your return pump. A lot of people over look this and end up with a pump that is not right for the system. And the result is a post here about a noisy tank or sump. Your other option since the tank is drilled already is plug the holes with a bulkhead plug and drill the back for the herbie. The tank looks great. To bad we have women in our lives to muck up the plans.

Now I've got good advice I actually know wat I'm going to do... So thanks a lot guys.

Yea I thinking of a tank the whole length and width of the stand in the picture but as shallow as my tank now with the Herbie system...

Just need to get this tank up and running 1st

Yeah, that's the ball valve which should work for your return pump. It's not always needed, but it can be used to dial back the flow rate if you need.

Stupid question but wat will it actually do? I'm new to the hobbie so still have a lot to learn as u as u can tell

What will the airline tube do? Essentially it lets more air in so the drain doesn't flush. You might not need it as the bulkhead opening probably won't be completely submerged.

Cencalfishguy56

Yeah, that's the ball valve which should work for your return pump. It's not always needed, but it can be used to dial back the flow rate if you need.

What will the airline tube do? Essentially it lets more air in so the drain doesn't flush. You might not need it as the bulkhead opening probably won't be completely submerged.

I'm gonna use vinyl tubing all the way around for overflow and return with a ball valve, headloss would be minimalized this way don't you think?

Ball valve will fail. Salt water does a number on them. And they seem to get stuck wont open wont close. It could potentially just be something else that can go wrong. If you really feel the need to regulate the flow get a good quality gate valve. or a true union ball valve so you dont have to cut your plumbing apart to swap it out. The better option is a controllable DC pump. If you calculate your plumbing based on pvc size, fittings, length of pipe and head loss you should be able to determine the proper LPH pump for you system. Like I stated in my last post most people completely over look this. This is why some feel the need to ad valves to restrict flow. If you restrict your return you are putting more demand on the pump, this will lead to heat and premature pump failure. On a Herbie you have a valve to regulate the drain not the return.

Sancho, I agree with just about everything you stated... except for the following.

If you restrict your return you are putting more demand on the pump, this will lead to heat and premature pump failure.

Magnetic drive pumps are actually more efficient with head pressure. There isn't anything wrong with placing a quality valve on the output side of a return pump.

I'm gonna use vinyl tubing all the way around for overflow and return with a ball valve, headloss would be minimalized this way don't you think?

Flexible tubing does tend to create less head pressure than PVC elbows.

Flexible tubing does tend to create less head pressure than PVC elbows.

if you can try and find black tubing. algae and crap seems to build up in the clear stuff

Archived