SaltCritters.com

NEWBIE With my version on the Mr Aqua 12g *RETIRED*

Lynton

FTS: 13/8/2015

9C23BDC1-332C-4BF3-B436-96B5CA1576E4_zps

Hello to all the amazing reefers on this forum, another newbie joining the ever growing popularity that is reef aquariums...

After watching my brother and mother start their own reef tanks in the past year, I have spent many hours in their homes sat staring at these amazing small pieces of ocean and finding myself giggling/LOL at the great personalities that the fish and little critters have , and so I to have decided that I would also like these special moments just to sit in front of my own tank and stare in to for hours on end watching and staring at a piece ocean art instead of losing hours staring at a tv!!!

I have had my custom tank/sump made (inspired by scorched TOTM back in 2014) but will be several months before up and running as what I've read on here we must try and buy the best equipment we can and ( as we onLy upgrade later anyway ?) with researching on NR and YouTube etc etc I can't afford the best all in one go so am saving and taking my time as we all know that's how we achieve these great reef tanks.. ?

Will post pics of progress as and when but I hope to pick your brains (a lot) in the nxt months due to I'm no DIY God

Hope to hear any thoughts and suggestions over coming weeks/months/years but please remember I'm the new guy and still struggling with abbreviations etc so you guys/girls will have to spell it out to me.. ?

Thanks for taking the time to read my new topic and look forward to many great conversations on all things reef.. ?

Lynton

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynton, welcome to N-R.com.

You really don't need to buy the best equipment. However, buying something that's not suitable is a waste of money. Good luck on your new endeavor.

Hi Lynton, welcome,

I am just starting and would say I have enough to start. However I can already tell this is going to cost more as I upgrade or change things or even just purchasing more coral.

I get the feeling that no matter how up do date things are if you give it a year something new will come out and the temptation to need the new item will be too much. Just look at where LEDs are nowadays and dosages etc, there is a lot more then my father had when he had his tank.

It will be great to follow your tanks progress.

CronicReefer

Hi Lynton, looking forward to seeing your tank getting set up and running. I would say I spent more on my livestock (fish/coral/inverts) than I did on the rest of my equipment combined (I did get my tank and stand for free). Maintenance+electricity in the long run is probably all of our biggest costs. There is a lot of great equipment available at good prices but you will find many different opinions on what is considered "best" item (like the current debate between getting the RW-4 or MP-10). The price of LEDs have dropped tremendously and you don't need to spend huge dollars for a big name lighting system to have a successful reef. Price really doesn't always mean better, I spent only $35 for my new skimmer that uses a Petco air pump after my expensive PLS-50 broke (only worked for 4 months) and I would say that this skimmer out performs almost anything else I've seen for comparable water volume rating. Good luck with everything as well!

nanolutionary

Hey

Firstly go back to your own country! ;)

charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk

'When the goods in your cart exceed £750 you will see a full breakdown of the [finance] options available. Awesome!' I got two radion XR15pro's and a vortech MP10 plus a load of everything else I needed to setup for a manageable monthly sum, personally think its best to go with 0% APR. Like to think the banks aren't raking in my money for nothing that way.

Wow thanks for the reply guys was beginning to think I was alone on here ..

Most hobbies take time and money but I'm struggling with a)stand as prices I've got r just ridiculous for a tank 48"x 10"x10" would love to b a DIY God and make my own... and B) lighting as my tank is 4ft long I no there's only a few options when it comes to length but I want my tank to be more of a coral tank with 2/4 fish (maybe) with being a newbie I hear people saying T5s are best then others say no go for LEDS a, I just want sumthing that will encourage coral growth and make the colours pop!! So suggestions on a post card plz guys

As for time I have loads of it and I know with this hobbie you need to b patient but I'd just like my tank on a stand so then I can take the Nxt step in planning what aquascape I want and wats the best options going forward equipment wise.

You guys have give me some great ideas after seeing ur wonderful tanks and I know wat fish and corals i want for the tank so it's pretty much how do I want the tank to look..

Cheers lynton

For a long and narrow tank, I think a T5HO would be a good fit. They tend to be relatively inexpensive and you can get good color. It would take several LED pendants (or PAR LEDs) to cover the length.

Remember that at the end of the day, it's the "piece of ocean art" that is your goal. Even though equipment is important, that's not what you will be staring at, so don't worry about the latest and greatest. :) Maybe your bro and mum can lend some spare equipment too!

Wats your thoughts on the max razors and kessils guys? Was researching in to them.... Haven't got money to throw at the tank but I'd rather save for a decent set of lights that. Not guna have to replace with new bulbs a year down the line ☺️

Wats your thoughts on the max razors and kessils guys? Was researching in to them.... Haven't got money to throw at the tank but I'd rather save for a decent set of lights that. Not guna have to replace with new bulbs a year down the line ☺️

I was in the exact position just a few days ago!

A lot of what you need will depend on the livestock you wish to keep, but if you want to keep a full reef system, lighting is going to be an integral piece of the setup and as I've recently learned, not a piece you want to skimp on. (used units was my intention but I lost many chances there)

I looked into Kessil (good price) but I wanted a lot of control over the output such as a wide range of spectrums. The Kessil are pretty much just one spectrum. Razor are good too, my LFS (local fish store) uses them with great growth and coloration.

In the end I decided between a cheaper Chinese LED and the Aquaillumination Hydra 52. I've just ordered the Hydra 52 with wireless controller. It turns out many of the Chinese LED's are using older versions of LED's (CREE LED's that are cheaply coated) and it came down to paying almost half the price for a good light or pay a lot more for a light that is one of the best in the industry.

Again it comes down to what you wish to keep. I'd take nanolutionary's advice with the 0% interest though and would highly recommend looking at the maximum spread/output of the light before designing the tank to make sure you are well covered.

I was in the exact position just a few days ago!

A lot of what you need will depend on the livestock you wish to keep, but if you want to keep a full reef system, lighting is going to be an integral piece of the setup and as I've recently learned, not a piece you want to skimp on. (used units was my intention but I lost many chances there)

I looked into Kessil (good price) but I wanted a lot of control over the output such as a wide range of spectrums. The Kessil are pretty much just one spectrum. Razor are good too, my LFS (local fish store) uses them with great growth and coloration.

In the end I decided between a cheaper Chinese LED and the Aquaillumination Hydra 52. I've just ordered the Hydra 52 with wireless controller. It turns out many of the Chinese LED's are using older versions of LED's (CREE LED's that are cheaply coated) and it came down to paying almost half the price for a good light or pay a lot more for a light that is one of the best in the industry.

Again it comes down to what you wish to keep. I'd take nanolutionary's advice with the 0% interest though and would highly recommend looking at the maximum spread/output of the light before designing the tank to make sure you are well covered.

I'll look in to the hydra 52... i want a light that doesn't go across the tank as I'd like to look in to the tank from the top as its guna b nice and shallow, that's why the Kessils/ max razors look gd options as I can hand razors and kessils will clip on to the back

Tanks guna be mostly corals, nothing to complicated at 1st has I'm new to hobbie so want corals that are easy to look after but with great colours gd growth and is not guna need doshing every other day. Was thinking hammers,frog spawn.. Would love a zoa/ricorda garden

nanolutionary

Kessils won't be able to handle SPS as well as Hydras or Radions and the Razors won't give you the controllability you will enjoy with the Radions.

If you're eager to get a light now and not wait too long to have to save up but you're reluctant to get finance I would advise purchasing a couple of these, getting wet and then waiting till the right time to drop your dollar on the lights you really wanted further down the line.

That's what I did and it was great to get everything setup how I wanted including the corals right off the bat without having to wait till I could afford the lights I really wanted.

PAR bulbs are great, but you'll need four to light a 48 x 10 x10" tank. That's an investment if you are planning on them being temporary. Look at the coverage area to make sure you aren't paying to light a tank much wider than a foot.

I'd rather save for a decent lighting system that will do the job from the off TBH, tanks guna take a few months (funds)to get set up anyway so waiting a little longer will not make any difference... Don't really wana go down the finance option.

As to controllability is it a must? I don't want to buy sumthing I'm not going to understand in terms of how to use it and not use to its full potential.

CronicReefer

I'd rather save for a decent lighting system that will do the job from the off TBH, tanks guna take a few months (funds)to get set up anyway so waiting a little longer will not make any difference... Don't really wana go down the finance option.

As to controllability is it a must? I don't want to buy sumthing I'm not going to understand in terms of how to use it and not use to its full potential.

Controllers are definitely not necessary but it is nice to just set your lighting schedule and never need to worry about it again. I would personally get the XR15w Pro, you would need two for your tank or a NanoBox system, both are amazing lights.

Ok update on the tank build... Been struggling with someone to build me a stand for my tank, I've had silly quotes up to £800!!!! So yesterday I had one of those "holy crap, why didn't I think of that before moments" so I went out and bought this.......

now with abit of DIY I think I can convert this in to a nice stand for my tank and it only cost me £160 and as it matches the other furniture in the "wife's house" she jumped at the chance at getting another matching piece of furniture to go with everything else she owns lol... (Happy wife, happy life) so well happy the tank can now sit pretty and be shown off properly instead of being on the floor collecting dust..... Now all I have to decide on is lights,skimmer and power heads so wish me luck guys, taking its time but will def be worth it in the long run..

• 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

So your tank is 48"x10"x10" a very long shallow, are you having a sump?

Can't see the image use photo bucket to upload the image then use the code IMG to paste in here - will make sense once you do it.

So your tank is 48"x10"x10" a very long shallow, are you having a sump?

Can't see the image use photo bucket to upload the image then use the code IMG to paste in here - will make sense once you do it.

Build is taking longer than expected due to funds as it was my birthday this week and wife's end off month so funds are being used for that unfortunately but I know it will be worth it in the end.. Lights came last week and ordered my mp10 so that should be here nxt week..

Stand is going to be a side board which matches the wife's other furniture in the house but with abit of DIY to make it suitable for a SW tank/sump, went to pay for it other day but theres a 2 week wait for now .

Items still to get is:

Plumbing

Skimmer

3/4 large pieces dry rock (as having individual islands)

Sand

All important water test

Yea the tank has a sump, it 38"x 8"x 8".. It's got four chambers that will have filter sock in 1st chamber, skimmer in the 2nd chamber, 3rd chamber will b refuge and 4th chamber will b for return..

Will post pics asap but I take pics with ipad and work from ipad so will I b able to use photo bucket?

Will post pics asap but I take pics with ipad and work from ipad so will I b able to use photo bucket?

Yep.

Yep.

So is photo bucket an app? How do I go about doing it? Not the sharpest tool when it comes to technology lol

nanolutionary

Photobucket is a website and there's an app for it too, allowing you to put images directly onto threads. once an image is uploaded to photo bucket you just cut and paste the IMG code wherever you want the image to appear on the thread you're posting onto.

Photobucket is a website and there's an app for it too, allowing you to put images directly onto threads. once an image is uploaded to photo bucket you just cut and paste the IMG code wherever you want the image to appear on the thread you're posting onto.

Well I've figured out how to do thank so much for the help.. Will post sum decent pics now, just picked up a 2nd hand mp10 for £80, just put it in the Mrs fresh water tank and almost blew the fish out the tank lol great bit of kit

A1B1284C-E07F-461C-9F5D-E8BB67E9428A_zps

A020B486-C235-4BF8-A31D-693A1DDBE0EA_zps

Now I can upload pics through photo bucket from advice from you guys here's a pic of my tank and sump..

i was abit dubious at 1st as my brother has one for his fluval 130 and he said is wasn't that good but when I put it on my tank i just thought wow!!!

Archived