Innovative Marine Aquariums

New to saltwater with a fluval spec V

BMFarcher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

What's a good price to pay for a starter coral and a couple snails?

For most of my corals I have paid less than $75. It's pretty easy to get things like GSP, xenia, clove polyps, mushrooms for under $20

Sweet! Making a stop at the LFS tonight hope to share pics later

For most of my corals I have paid less than $75. It's pretty easy to get things like GSP, xenia, clove polyps, mushrooms for under $20

thabks
Cencalfishguy56

Sweet! Making a stop at the LFS tonight hope to share pics later

thabks

Yea +1 to cronic, I haven't spent more than $60 on coral before start easy or you will regret spending money on coral like I did I would have said so much money oh well live and learn but np on the pic

CronicReefer

Yea +1 to cronic, I haven't spent more than $60 on coral before start easy or you will regret spending money on coral like I did I would have said so much money oh well live and learn but np on the pic

I've managed to only kill two corals, clove polyps was the first which I have no idea why. They went from a colony of 3 to 20 to dead. Second was a diaseris I accidentally bleached to death. As long as you can stay consistent with cleaning and not trying to fuss around with water parameters too much you will have good success.

Cencalfishguy56

I've managed to only kill two corals, clove polyps was the first which I have no idea why. They went from a colony of 3 to 20 to dead. Second was a diaseris I accidentally bleached to death. As long as you can stay consistent with cleaning and not trying to fuss around with water parameters too much you will have good success.

I only killed a torch and wall hammer small frags but I had really bad phosphate issues early

Well picked up some new goods!!!! I got 2 snails a zebra hermit a scarlet hermit to add to the 1 I already had in there! I also got 2 small frags of Zoa's

sedatedlabmonkey

I made my media basket out of egg crate as you posted pictures of . I just run my heater down thru the middle of the basket. I feel it gets more flow than the return chamber.

In the tank currently.

1 zoànthid frag. Similar to "fire and ice"

2 small Kenya tree (a freebie from a reefer buddy!)

Soon to be green mushroom. (Going to move over from my 25 soon)

1 frag metallic green star polyps ( free from a reefer buddy!)

3 banded trochus snails

1 nassarius snail

4 or 5 assorted small reef hermits

1 tiny emerald crab.

1 yellow clown goby

1 green clown goby

Current light is a freshwater led strip (had it laying around)

New light for my 25 is coming this weekend so the spec v will be getting the 24in marine orbit led :-)

Also got a clump of chaetomorpha from my buddy, so I just wadded it up and stuck it at the top of the media basket. Its functioning as a prefilter for my finer filter floss. It seems to be thriving so far, I just rinse it in tank water every few days when I do small water changes (~1gallon+-) and change floss.

For more or less info:http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359080-sedatedlabmonkeys-spec-v/

I'm starting to notice a lot of different creatures appearing! A starfish, worms(2 different kind it looks like) and some shrimp looking things.

• 1 month later...

Archived