Top Shelf Aquatics

New to saltwater with a fluval spec V

BMFarcher

Cencalfishguy56

thanks! That's what I was thinking! And i could probably use the store credit lol

yup get it stocked up with the credit.

Store credit helps a ton lol I have like $120 in store credit just have been waiting for their good coral order this week but to be honest you shouldn't stock it yet, you have to let it cycle first, did you get the test strips yet? My tank never went throgh a cycle, I used cured live rock and live sand

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have cured live rock and live sand straight out of the tank from my LFS! I got everything straight from them and he told me my tank would be perfect just add water with salinity of 1.025. I did that the tank even came with 2 hermit crabs!

Store credit helps a ton lol I have like $120 in store credit just have been waiting for their good coral order this week but to be honest you shouldn't stock it yet, you have to let it cycle first, did you get the test strips yet? My tank never went throgh a cycle, I used cured live rock and live sand

forgot to quote you sorry
Cencalfishguy56

I have cured live rock and live sand straight out of the tank from my LFS! I got everything straight from them and he told me my tank would be perfect just add water with salinity of 1.025. I did that the tank even came with 2 hermit crabs!

forgot to quote you sorry

Wow man they set you up really nicely then, I just ised rock from mine so yea you should be good just start with something small and easy maybe a goby of some sort

wow thanks for saying that. It means alot. I still feel like im learning alot too. This is why i love NR. We are always there to help each other out and theres no such thing as a bad question.

Np, I give credit where it is due, I really envy your tank haha

Wow man they set you up really nicely then, I just ised rock from mine so yea you should be good just start with something small and easy maybe a goby of some sortNp, I give credit where it is due, I really envy your tank haha

sweet I was kind of trusting the LFS but wanted to ask around NR! How many fish are suitable for my tank! >10 >5 what's a decent amount! And as for fish I want something active. Also what is the best type of wood for saltwater fish? Can I feed them the same stuff I do my FW?
2004jeeplaredo

First thing to stock would be a clean up crew after the cycle, exp. hermits and snails. I still have my original hermits from over a year ago and they seem the same size but do kinda piss off my corals some times. then maybe some zoas or softies. Zenia spread but are very active coral. Then see how it goes from there.

CronicReefer

sweet I was kind of trusting the LFS but wanted to ask around NR! How many fish are suitable for my tank! >10 >5 what's a decent amount! And as for fish I want something active. Also what is the best type of wood for saltwater fish? Can I feed them the same stuff I do my FW?

As far as fish go I would say one (gobies are the exception as some are extremely tiny). If you want wood in the tank you could plant a mangrove if you don't mind a tree growing out the tank. A lot of FW foods work for SW but it depends on the fish you get, I would recommend using a food intended for the type of diet your fish would naturally eat.

First thing to stock would be a clean up crew after the cycle, exp. hermits and snails. I still have my original hermits from over a year ago and they seem the same size but do kinda piss off my corals some times. then maybe some zoas or softies. Zenia spread but are very active coral. Then see how it goes from there.

that works out after my cuc is in the tank how long should I wait to get fish? And can I add maybe 1 coral with my clean up crew?

As far as fish go I would say one (gobies are the exception as some are extremely tiny). If you want wood in the tank you could plant a mangrove if you don't mind a tree growing out the tank. A lot of FW foods work for SW but it depends on the fish you get, I would recommend using a food intended for the type of diet your fish would naturally eat.

I want a goby so that works out! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to post some pictures so you guys can see what's going on
Cencalfishguy56

lol wood, but I feed my fish new era flake food, really great food promotes a lot of color in my fish, sometimes I feed brine or Mysis, used to a lot but I had a phosphate issue and a small blenny would give you entertainment like a tailspot blenny

that works out after my cuc is in the tank how long should I wait to get fish? And can I add maybe 1 coral with my clean up crew?
I want a goby so that works out! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to post some pictures so you guys can see what's going on

also at max two fish but they have to be juvies, then take them back if you want a different fish or they get too big for credit

lol wood, but I feed my fish new era flake food, really great food promotes a lot of color in my fish, sometimes I feed brine or Mysis, used to a lot but I had a phosphate issue and a small blenny would give you entertainment like a tailspot blenny

lol I meant food? didn't realize that till now was wondering why you guys were talking about trees
Cencalfishguy56

image_zpsy9xymtuo.jpg

this is my tank its bare lol ive been waiting to stock some more for some time since its been stable for two months, ive been through so many problems as a new reefer but its 6 months old now

the frogspawn is gone my clown pissed it off too much so I took it back

image_zpsy9xymtuo.jpg

this is my tank its bare lol ive been waiting to stock some more for some time since its been stable for two months, ive been through so many problems as a new reefer but its 6 months old now

the frogspawn is gone my clown pissed it off too much so I took it back

beautiful tank! Love seeing pictures! That's what got me in to SW! I can't wait till my tank looks half as good as some of the tanks here!

how high should i keep my water from the top of the tank? if i had to guess my water is pretty close to an inch below rim

Cencalfishguy56

beautiful tank! Love seeing pictures! That's what got me in to SW! I can't wait till my tank looks half as good as some of the tanks here!

how high should i keep my water from the top of the tank? if i had to guess my water is pretty close to an inch below rim

thanks! i want it to be half as good as the TOTM lol but i usually keep it at the rim so i can top off accordingly

was thinking about my aqua scape and wanted to know if i should use bigger pieces instead of the plethora of small chunks i have? any suggestions as to what i should do?

2004jeeplaredo

that works out after my cuc is in the tank how long should I wait to get fish? And can I add maybe 1 coral with my clean up crew? I want a goby so that works out! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to post some pictures so you guys can see what's going on

i added one fish at about a month in. Just make sure everythungs stable. Yes you could add one or two corals just get a cheap hardy ones just in case

i added one fish at about a month in. Just make sure everythungs stable. Yes you could add one or two corals just get a cheap hardy ones just in case

alright thank you will post pictures tomorrow night after i get some goodies from the LFS

sedatedlabmonkey

I am also new(ish) to reef aquariums and have a spec v. I started it 4 weeks ago. I now have two very small fish, and several soft corals. So far the only mod/upgrade I've made is a diy media basket. I run my heater in the overflow section. When I had the heater in the return chamber I experienced a lot of temperature fluctuation. I'm running chaeto, carbon and gfo in the basket.

I am really loving this tank. I have a yellow clown goby and a green clown goby. They are getting along great. Their small size and tendency to perch (rather than swimming freely in open water) make them perfect fish for these small tanks.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've done a fair amount of research on spec v specific setups recently.

I am also new(ish) to reef aquariums and have a spec v. I started it 4 weeks ago. I now have two very small fish, and several soft corals. So far the only mod/upgrade I've made is a diy media basket. I run my heater in the overflow section. When I had the heater in the return chamber I experienced a lot of temperature fluctuation. I'm running chaeto, carbon and gfo in the basket.

I am really loving this tank. I have a yellow clown goby and a green clown goby. They are getting along great. Their small size and tendency to perch (rather than swimming freely in open water) make them perfect fish for these small tanks.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've done a fair amount of research on spec v specific setups recently.

sweet glad to hear your tank is going well! What mod did you make to the media basket and do you have any pictures of it! They always seem to help! What light are you using as well!

I want to try one of them but I don't know where to start.

Egg crate is not hard. cut it and zip tie or super glue it together

Egg crate is not hard. cut it and zip tie or super glue it together

what should it look like in the end? Just a layer of egg crate, filter product, egg crate, filter product, ect... ?
Cencalfishguy56

what should it look like in the end? Just a layer of egg crate, filter product, egg crate, filter product, ect... ?

image_zpsz3cozige.jpg

I would run filter floss chemipure elite and Purigen or you could run chaeto I suppose

image_zpsz3cozige.jpg

I would run filter floss chemipure elite and Purigen or you could run chaeto I suppose

sweet thanks for the pic! I gotta start working on that ASAP! NR ROCKS!!!!

Archived