Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why did it do this?

Juuls

My flowerpot has a weird moment,

it's all better now although I've hardly moved from it for a few hours.

not%20supposed%20to%20happen_zps3ayk1lpr

I thought it would blow up or explode

recovering_zpsa3mrwlay.jpg

whilst getting better

It is back to half that size now looking like it did the other night, thankfully!

How do I stop this from happening to it again?

IMO/IME that is normal behavior for many corals. I think they are trying to remove debris from their surface, or reaching internal equilibrium with the water. My larger plate corals do that fairly regularly and they are all happy and healthy for years now.

IMO/IME that is normal behavior for many corals. I think they are trying to remove debris from their surface, or reaching internal equilibrium with the water. My larger plate corals do that fairly regularly and they are all happy and healthy for years now.

Oh my thank you, I thought that I had almost killed it.

SchnauzerFace

I had a welso brain that did something like that. Sometimes he would completely inflate like (half) a volleyball. Never knew if that meant he was happy or stressed but he grew and ate well, so I guess puffy=happy

Maybe it has something to do with digging itself out of the sand. I'm not saying yours was getting covered but perhaps it is a programmed activity it does on a regular basis.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/fungiid-corals-avoid-being-buried-alive-time-laspe-video

Oh interesting, I do not think it has been here long enough to have this issue, and all tests are nice on the tank, but I have read a lot recently about these guys doing better when off the bed and up on a bit of a rock, guessing they would need a nice stable rock so I may well try and brave the water to move this fellow. So I am actually going to try and relocate him to make him more comfortable. :)

I have also read that they may be fed, happy or acclimatizing to water.

As well as this the clownfish could be an issue however they appear to be fixated under the pump/filter and do not tend to go to close to the corals, plus something lives in the rock behind this coral. The fish do stay away from that bit of rock.

Archived