Top Shelf Aquatics

is this hair algae?

seecrabrun

I have 2 tanks, a standard 29 and 20 tall. The 29 is 2 months older than the 20 and the 20 is 8 months old.

I've battled algae in the 20 pretty much since I started. The tank has never been overrun with it, but instead I have patches I can't get rid of.

The tank is in a room that gets a lot of light, natural and artificial. Which is probably the source of the problem.

I recently have what looks like hair algae, but much darker, not really green.

I also have this weird maroon growth that I would think is cyano if it ever spread, but it's been there going on 2 months and never grown in size. It is just a small spot here and there.

Parameters have pretty much been great this whole time. I have some phosphate sometimes, but not consistent. I started running phosguard last week and today is when the growth was apparent, but today's test showed 0, which means the phosguard is working... Or does it?

This is my first post here, so I'll see if I can figure out how to attach any pictures.

Today's test results were:

Temp 80

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.1

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5(API)

Phosphate 0

Magnesium 1600(no dosing, I'm recovering from a bad batch of salt mix)

Calcium 525(same as above)

Alkalinity 8(significantly lower than last week, but phosguard said that might happen. Last week it was 11)

Thanks!

Lack of phosphate and inconsistent alkalinity could cause poor coral health. What phosphate test kit do you use? Some (like API) are high range kits.

The phosphate is API. My alkalinity was stable until I put the phosguard in it. I am indeed concerned about the drop. It removed the phosphate, but at the cost of the alkalinity.

Unfortunately, you have no idea what your phosphate level actually is. The recommended value is 0.03 to 0.01 ppm. However, the API phosphate kit goes up in 0.25 ppm increments. So by the time you see any color change, the phosphate level is about 10 times higher than it should be. In addition, you can't measure when to reduce use of phosphate media or even when it becomes exhausted.

Just noticed you're new here. Welcome to N-R.com.

If you can post a picture, we can help you identify your algae. It's probably hair algae and cyano which resulted from high nutrient levels (and/or organics).

Thanks. I am new. First post.

I agree. I need a different test. Is there any other brand that is more accurate for this hobby and easy to read?

I followed the instructions on the bottle of phosguard. Put the recommended amount in a media bag for my size tank and left it for 4 days, then tested again.

Thanks. I am new. First post.

I agree. I need a different test. Is there any other brand that is more accurate for this hobby and easy to read?

I followed the instructions on the bottle of phosguard. Put the recommended amount in a media bag for my size tank and left it for 4 days, then tested again.

I'd go with Salifert.

I started out with API stuff as well but I'm slowly switching it to Salifert.

They're pretty much identical in price to API but 50,000,000 times more accurate.

Salifert is probably the most popular line of test kits. I like and use many of their test kits. Their phosphate kit is certainly better than API's; however, I use the Hanna Phosphorus Checker (which is even higher resolution and has a digital readout).

That's good. Just realize that it doesn't read in ppm of phosphate. However, if you keep the level between 3 and 10 ppb phosphorus, you'll be good.

Archived