ReefCleaners.org

Good skimmer or good RO/DI system?

Odobenus rosmarus

Odobenus rosmarus

I'm in the planning phase of setting up a 40 gallon dwarf lion fish tank. The idea is to have mostly LPS corals, plants and macro algae and to keep things cost effective. Although the question for me is whether to invest in a good RO/DI system so I can do consistent water changes or to get a good skimmer and do less frequent water changes. I don't have the money for both and I don't want to buy used so I have to make a compromise, I don't know which choice is better. I know that I can do without a skimmer if I keep on top of my maintenance routine but I can't go without RO/DI water, tap water isn't an option lol. I'm going to have a sump so I'l have a refugium which might eliminate the need for a skimmer anyways. I'm open to any advice on this topic, if theres a better route for me to take let me know!

NorthGaHillbilly

Get a spectrapure refurbished unit, then add a skimmer later. I have no clue how I went so long without an RO, and my LFS if less than a mile down the road.

RODI would definitely be my choice. You don't have to have a skimmer but they definitely help. I would also recommend buying used. With this hobby, people are constantly upgrading stuff and selling old stuff. The marketplace here is actually really nice. So far I've bought all of this used and haven't had any issues except one but that was all worked out at no cost to me.

Eshopps Overflow

BRS Dual Reactor

ReefKeeper Lite

2 extra PC4s for the ReefKeeper

SCA 301 Skimmer

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't start with good water, then everything is downhill from there. A good water source is *primary* for the success of your tank. You can remove nutrients with any number of nutrient export methods, which include, but are not limited to, things like skimmers and water changes. Add things as you need them! I agree with the SpectraPure recommendation. I would only buy an RO/DI unit from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived