Top Shelf Aquatics

Another freakin noob

Dan197

Hello,

I've been lurking the forum for quite awhile now, I finally registered.

1st question, my live rock has been in my tank for about a month now, I think everything has cycled/died off. At least the smell has gone away, Is it ok to add saltwater now?

Just kidding, I've been reading for like 3 months now. Yall got some good stuff here. I'm a huge mbuna fan, I love my cichlids but the plan was always to start a reef. I'm looking forward to planning my setup.

D

I'm another noob here too .. I have got to say I like the Cichlids but went for a smaller size when I started with the apistogrammas far too many of these little guys to collect into their own breeding tanks :)

Good luck with the new reef, it will be great to follow your progress.

porkchop-rob

Hello,

I've been lurking the forum for quite awhile now, I finally registered.

1st question, my live rock has been in my tank for about a month now, I think everything has cycled/died off. At least the smell has gone away, Is it ok to add saltwater now?

Just kidding, I've been reading for like 3 months now. Yall got some good stuff here. I'm a huge mbuna fan, I love my cichlids but the plan was always to start a reef. I'm looking forward to planning my setup.

D

Welcome! What are your preliminary plans? Pico/Nano? Aio/Sump/Sumpless? Lighting? Budget?

Glad to see you new guys on here! Always good to see the hobby grow!

Welcome! What are your preliminary plans? Pico/Nano? Aio/Sump/Sumpless? Lighting? Budget?

Glad to see you new guys on here! Always good to see the hobby grow!

Right now I'm considering a nano. Budget... trying to figure that out. Every toy I buy is usually a sidejob or two away. I've got a few bucks hidden from my wife, I plan on using some of it to buy an rodi unit with it. I've been looking at the nuvo 20L and 30L tanks, I like the aio concept. I've also been looking at the minimalist aproch like a 20g-30g standard tank with a HOB and a quality light. Lights hmmm good question still looking at those. I want to go with an led but might get a t5. Who knows at this point. Depends if I can find something on craigslist from someone elses failure. I'm not planning on trying to go crazy with the nano just some softies and a fish maybe 2. I'll buy parts and peices for a few months then I will set it up. I need to get all the testing and maintenance equipment first. My long term goal is to do a larger build in my basement with the bells and whistles. We plan on having the basement finished in about 2 years. I figure a nano tank will keep me occupied until then. I'm about done with my cichlid tank so I'm going to need another fix. I have 12 msobo in a grow out tank in the basement now. After I pick the few that I will keep from that my 125 will be at the capacity that I am comfortable with. The only thing I might do to the cichlid tank is convert my diy sump to a K1 fluidized bed.

Disclaimer: everything I just said is subject to change depending on what I read today, tonight, tomorrow, next week. Lol

porkchop-rob

...Disclaimer: everything I just said is subject to change depending on what I read today, tonight, tomorrow, next week. Lol

HAHAHAHAHA....Well Played!

Archived