Top Shelf Aquatics

Worms in my sand. What might they be?

Gamby

I have seen some very thin worms along the glass but below the surface of the sand. They are about 2"long. When I try to reach in and get them they quickly retract and disappear into the sand.

Any idea what they could be? Are they anything to wory about?

So far I have not been able to get a good picture.

Weasel Baron

color? any other descriptors like bristles or segments?

probably spionid or bristle worms

Sorry! That would help a bit.

My live rock came from Gulf Live Rock and was cured in my IM Fusion 10 tank since it was a new installation. The rock has been in the tank for about 3-1/2 weeks.

The worms are very thin and I can not tell if they have bristles or not. I saw a black worm yesterday while the lights were on. I actually thought it was a sand trail until I tried to get a closer look and it disappeared. Then I saw a white one once the lights went off. I was able to extract it from the tank but it curled up so small, once it was out of the tank, that I really could not get a good look at it.

I will continue to try to get a picture or a little more information.

They do not currently seem to be bothering anything but I am sure that things could change very quickly

Managed to get a picture.

post-86742-0-50839900-1426551257_thumb.jpg

Weasel Baron

from the looks of it, something in the Eunicidae or Nereididae family. They can be bad, or good, depending on the species. could also be a Dorvilleidae worm

They are harmless if they are small, but if they are bigger later, then it should be a problem. You just need to reduce your feeding and siphon small area of your sand when you do water change (WC), then they will die off due to no food eventually. I hope this could help you. Good luck.

Thanks for the input!

Would a worm trap work to expedite there removal?

I am sure it will work but need some patience though.

Thanks for the input!

Would a worm trap work to expedite there removal?

dude they are going to almost certainly to be fine, no need to kill them, especially the nerid.

Worms are normal fauna in our tanks, though I'd be suspicious of the eunicidae

Just saying also some worms can go months with no food, and some others can resort to killing corals for food if not fed

dude they are going to almost certainly to be fine, no need to kill them, especially the nerid.Worms are normal fauna in our tanks, though I'd be suspicious of the eunicidaeJust saying also some worms can go months with no food, and some others can resort to killing corals for food if not fed

Thanks for the advice!

Archived