ReefCleaners.org

zoas being eaten! please help

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I a bc29 and I just recently got my first coral frags. 4 different zoas and GSP. I thought my emerald crab ate my rasta when it disappeared. But then I saw a small pod like thing about 3mm by 1mm wide. It was really fast and right by the zoas. My sunny d is now missing a chunk and 2 polyps of my radio active dragon are gone. This is in 2 days. I am putting them in. Make shift frag rack to protect them for now but does anyone have this problem. I know the thing wad notjust going for weak polyps that were sick or dying. They were all doing really well. I have a polyp of LA Lakers that is barely hanging in there and it has not been touched. Please help!

Sounds like amphipods, they chowed down on my healthy aquascapers zoas and my Vivid Rainbows. Got a 6-line and I was done w/ that issue. They look like Alien. I'd turn off the frag and there'd be like 3-5 waiting for night time to come out and eat.

fishfreak0114

Coral wise, just zoas and gsp. I have an emerald crab, pep shrimp and CUC. I was hoping to avoid getting a wrase as it was not something I planned to kerp. Would a mandarin eat them?

Could be your crabs. I had a couple hermits develop a taste for my zoas. They have been banished to the sump. I dipped everything and made sure my zoas were clean, no sign of any other pests. So if you don't think its amphipods and you still haven't figured it out, my bet is on either the emerald or some hermits.

fishfreak0114

Ive watched the emerald by them multiple times and he doesnt give them a econd gllance. As for hermits I havent seen one by them at all. Im hoping thr sunny d can recover, I really liked it. It is closed now, and looks like its taken a beating, I dippd it to ward of infection, pests etc. Hope it helped. No pests were found on it but the bug thing was near my frags.

I had 2 polyps seriously damaged by the amphipods and those came back but my others didn't make it. I know people have said they'll only go to them if they're injured, decaying, etc. These were none of those things.

Are you sure it's a pep shrimp, I had what I thought was a peppermint shrimp and it tormented my zoas and acans. It would dig in the mouths of those corals and pull food out them and eventually got the taste for them. I never determined whether mine was a peppermint or camel shrimp but that guy had to go. He also ate most of my cuc including turbos and narsus snails as well as other peppermints, savage little beast so I'd keep an eye on him. My 2 cents

No, amphipods crawl all over the tank. Mine hid not only in the rocks during the day but under the frag plugs that were sitting on the sand for a time, flip them over and they'd be hiding right there. They like to hang out everywhere when the lights are off.

With your statement of ....But then I saw a small pod like thing about 3mm by 1mm wide. I'm still going w/ amphipod. Best thing to do is turn on the light at like 3-4 in the morning, or shine a flashlight and see what scampers away.

fishfreak0114

The pep shrimp hadn't come out til I fed today. So just to clarify, keeping them on my own temporary frag rack wont help? I dont know what to do, I leave on vacation in a few days. I dont want to come back to all my zoas being dead.

Sorry got carried away with my distrust in the shrimps. Any who if the temp frag rack is in the same tank then no it won't help if it's in another tank then dip the affected corals and move them to the temporary tank

fishfreak0114

I dont have any light sufficient to sustain them sonewhere else. I would feel horrible if they all got eaten. Is there anything I can do?

First turn on the light at 3am to make sure of what it is- watch for several nights. Then you'll know if you need to remove your peppermint or add a baby 6line and then sell him to somebody later. But they really are fun to watch, they're very thorough and so colorful- their eyes and striping are gorgeous.

fishfreak0114

I was thinking of getting a 6line. I guess I could just sell him later. If the tanks just left in the pitch dark for a half hour or so and then I checked would that be ok too? If it the shrimp, ill just trade him for something else. No clue how I would catch him though. He only comes out at feeding time. If the bug things are on it, wrasse it is. If theres nothing it was either the crab, the bugs dont leave the rocks or its something else.

If they are pods, will keeping the frags away from the rocks and sand be a temporary solution?

Make a frag rack, attach it to the glass and move the Zoas there until you can get them under control. My wife has the same prob and they're all thriving again since moving them off the rocks.

Oh, and dip them before moving them.

fishfreak0114

I got a plastic bathroom hanging container thing with suction cups. I have them in there away from the rocks.

I got a plastic bathroom hanging container thing with suction cups. I have them in there away from the rocks.

Might want to give them an iodine dip to kill off any on the frags too.

Did you see any floaters after the dip?

Hope you get a handle on it. My wife lost quite a few Zoas before realizing what the problem was.

fishfreak0114

Absolutely nothing came off. But I did take quite a while to dislogdenthe frag plug, maybe all the disturbance scared them away before I got them to the dip.

fishfreak0114

Nothing odd was spotted in the test. The frags seem to be safe up there so that's where they will stay for now.

Archived