Coral Vue Hydros

SWAPPED: 20h swap to 20L

righttirefire

righttirefire

I used 3/16 glass had a glass shop cut them and sand/polish all the edges. I wish I would have taken a little more time and masked my Silicone, but I'm happy. I had my baffles too narrow in my opinion. Since these was a running tank I guesstimate the inside dimension and was about 3/8" more narrow than the tank. So I split the difference and "poured" heavy on the silicone. But no leaks. The end chambers are full to within 1/16" of the top.

I'm pretty excited I'll have a running refugium Friday. Some new live rock. I'm thinking a short cycle and introducing a couple snails. My chromis might get a little private room for a while.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

The saga continues, I can apparently correctly read a tape measure, but lack the vision... IT FITS!

20150508_052500_zpsihi4tbq3.jpg

So, new plan and course of action. I'm going to remove the bottom of the stand. It's thinner my glass baffles! About 12 little staples hold it into place. I'll measure the opening inside the support structure. Build an acrylic emergence overflow catch pan and set the catch basin and sump "IN" the stand. It'll actually set on the floor. And give me room to get my arm inside the sump

You can see the drawer is removed and is partly pictured on the right

righttirefire

Ok... game on!

20150508_101433_zpsombpfopd.jpg

1/8" bottom, stapled into place, pry'd up and removed.

20150508_101352_zps5yawl9ol.jpg

nice brace... it just sat in a channel and too 0 effort to remove

20150508_063116_zpsjnzrofwj.jpg

New found found head work. That'll work

20150508_101323_zpsdynwdr8r.jpg

To ease my mind a little tape measure work and a trip to TAP Plastics. I came home with 1/4" acrylic and supplies to make a drip pan. It'll hold about 1.5 gallon.

20150508_143159_zpsx6rszee8.jpg

It's more difficult than I thought. A small gap got me shopping. I found a 100% silicone formulated for plastics. GE makes it, it can be found at home depot, by the acrylic. I also found YouTube video test support. So here goes nothing!

20150508_152253_zpsvrctd9lq.jpg

FYI it fits!

20150508_152640_zpsj1q6k2vg.jpg

here's the proof

20150508_154648_zpsjxhkoxux.jpg

Sand and water added

20150508_191125_zpslujgdlav.jpg

a couple hours later. It's clear

20150508_195919_zps6pb3qe2l.jpg

20150508_203039_zpsocefznke.jpg

about 13 gallons of water. 1.025 salinity. 76F. pH 8.4. Ammonia 0.25 Nitrites 0.0 Nitrate 5. It's API don't get excited.

next weekend the piping will be built. Hopefully the following weekend the systems will be linked

Pretty sweet setup - good job!

I think the acrylic tray is a pretty smart idea... You got rid of the weak board that was there (probably wouldn't have lasted long at all under the weight of the tank) and now have a water catch tray as well as more working room for the sump!

Did you place the tank directly on the carpet? I'm wondering if it would have been better to place a support piece of 3/4" plywood or something between the carpet and the acrylic... But what you have will probably be just fine - I was just thinking that the carpet will want to be more compacted directly under the tank rim so the middle/edges might want to spring back up eventually... I'm probably overthinking it though.

The sump looks nice though - for not taping the silicone it looks great, very clean!

I noticed that the baffle between the fuge and the return pump is opaque - did you paint it or something? Probably a good idea so algae doesn't grow in the return chamber.

Have you thought about an ATO? The reason I ask is because the return chamber looks pretty small - I would be afraid that it might run low quickly... I'm being lazy and not finishing my ATO but I really need to get on it because I don't like the daily chore and I'm going camping for memorial day weekend.

Anyways, looks nice I'm sure the plumbing will go very smoothly!

Archived