Coral Vue Hydros

SWAPPED: 20h swap to 20L

righttirefire

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

Baffles cut for the refugium. 11-5/8 X 12 and 11-5/8 X 13. That will give me about 4-1/2 for the filter sick and possible skimmer and 4-1/2" for my return pump... about a 14" long refugium. All dimensions subject to change

I for one think its cool being oak trim, too each there own and at this point it's unusual and unique since most have gone to rimless or black trim so oak on man oak on

righttirefire

Lol. I hate the oak but it's an old tank and it's 20 dollar saved to spend else where. 20150417_195043_zpsa1aae5tz.jpg

So it's a "durso-style" drain. But it'll be throttled down to full siphon with an emergency drain.

Lol. I hate the oak but it's an old tank and it's 20 dollar saved to spend else where. 20150417_195043_zpsa1aae5tz.jpg

So it's a "durso-style" drain. But it'll be throttled down to full siphon with an emergency drain.

That looks fantastic. That's actually what I want to do with my tank. About how much space does that thing take up? I was thinking of using a nano ghost overflow box but that's another $100 so I may just do something similar. The only other thing that I'm wondering about is the level of the emergency drain. With the emergency drain so low, wouldn't that mean there would be a waterfall of about 3" from the overflow? That would result in a good bit of noise. That's what is going on with my tank and the overflow I have now. A 5-6" drop makes a lot of noise.

righttirefire

Vw... so after drinking... emphasis on drinking. The corner overflow was cut 6-1/2" X 12". I drilled holes on 1/2" centers and 3/8" center to top of overflow. I believe I cut 3/8" off the height. "Trimmed to fit" there are 4 rows of holes. I used a 6" sch 40 pipe with 5/8 wood as a "buck" to oven heat my abs plastic to form the curve. It take up about 1/4 of a 8" radius. Silicon into place. The piping in 3/4" street 90's. With 3/4 strainers. The height of the emergency overflow is adjustable with pipe and a coupling. If this system isn't SILENT my girlfriend will unplug my reef... she's hearing impaired, but if she can hear it I won't get laid. Can you understand how silence is important to me?

I'll be more than happy to make you a trim to fit corner overflow once mine us tested and verify I can flow an estimated 200 gig through mine

Or give you all the information you need

Vw... so after drinking... emphasis on drinking. The corner overflow was cut 6-1/2" X 12". I drilled holes on 1/2" centers and 3/8" center to top of overflow. I believe I cut 3/8" off the height. "Trimmed to fit" there are 4 rows of holes. I used a 6" sch 40 pipe with 5/8 wood as a "buck" to oven heat my abs plastic to form the curve. It take up about 1/4 of a 8" radius. Silicon into place. The piping in 3/4" street 90's. With 3/4 strainers. The height of the emergency overflow is adjustable with pipe and a coupling. If this system isn't SILENT my girlfriend will unplug my reef... she's hearing impaired, but if she can hear it I won't get laid. Can you understand how silence is important to me?

I'll be more than happy to make you a trim to fit corner overflow once mine us tested and verify I can flow an estimated 200 gig through mine

Or give you all the information you need

That sounds great but I think I'm good for now. I'm still debating on if I want to move up to a 40 breeder or hold onto the 20 long I currently have. If I decide to stick with this size, I think I'm going to just get a new 20 long and take my time drilling it and getting everything perfect before I switch things over. The big thing is that I don't want to take up a lot of room in the tank with an overflow box and that's why I wanted to go with the ghost nano overflow box. Also, this is at least a few months into the future so I have a good bit of time to figure things out.

Good luck with the noise! The one thing I don't like about my eshopps overflow is that there is only one drain and no emergency. As a result, I can't really adjust it very well without running the risk of overflowing the box and causing a mess say if a snail or something clogs or slows the drain. The way it's set up now, water overflows into the box and drops about 5" and makes a lot of noise and then it has to go down another pipe with a DIY gurgle buster which helps but is still not completely silent. Put it this way, if this was your set up, you and Jill better get very familiar...

righttirefire

20150418_090830_zps3mepn97v.jpg

Union halves installed, I used the oatey purple primer and clear glue for the pvc, sch80 union, to sch40 pipe. And purple primer and oatey transition abs to pvc on the pvc pipe and glue only on the abs bulkhead. I cut the pipe 1/16" longer than "total cup" depth so I could visually see a "good joint".

20150418_090816_zpssdjoqzqj.jpg

all you see is the "green" transition glue bead, but I assure you the clear glue bead is under it.

I'm going to build an inter connect pipe between the 3 unions for testing and possible closed loop circulation while I finish the refugium piping and get the refugium "online".

This swap might be pushed another week due to testing and I'll be our of town Saturday and Sunday next week.

Sorry to hear that. How'd it happen? Over tighten the bulkhead? At least it happened now and not while it was full and in your living room or something.

Glad I saved the 20 bucks using that old tank. Now I get the black rimmed tank I wanted

lol. Good luck with this one!

I'm really sad to see that..Reading your thread has caused me to think about upgrading from a rimless 7.5 gal to a standard 20L now that Petco has their 1$ a gallon sale. Now i'm wondering..What do you think may have caused that? Do you think the standard rimmed type tanks are too thin of glass?

BTW. what light were you going to use on your 20L..Do you think a NanoBox duo would do?

righttirefire

It was totally my fault... I was piping together the bulkheads and the fittings and pipe kept hydrologicing, pushing apart. And I made the mistake of pushing the fitting against and union and had the other hand against the top lip of the tank. And pushed the bulkhead through the glass. I work with "weld-on" brand primers and glues and never have an issue with hydrologicing, but bought another brand. I knew to make my joints against the table, but I was "rushing" and it's an expensive lesson. Pain will train

righttirefire

Aviator, sorry, I'm going to continue using my fluvel reef led. The shorter water column will be better for my light

righttirefire

Don't pass judgement. But I'm a Union Steamfitter Apprentice. Halfway done with a 5 year program.

When a pvc joint "pushes" or doesn't remain seated its called hydrologicing. The chemical bonding of the pvc joint expands pushing the joint apart. It's difficult to explain but easy to accept once experienced.

I knew I wasn't following a proper procedure, but I was in a rush to meet my amazing/understanding girlfriend at the hospital, her father had a stroke. AND be able to test my tank, and fittings/ joints.

I do this for a living with dangerous chemical lines. Saltwater is of no concern to me. It might damage a house but won't KILL anyone

VW. pm me I'll be more than happy to talk to you over the phone and will call you to explain my mistake. It won't happen again. And cost me $70 more...

righttirefire

I appreciate the input/advise/encouragement, but life has gotten in the way currently. I hope to encourage growth and friendship but if you don't see updates from me I haven't quit and continue to maintain my fishes and tanks. Thanks VW, aj, aviator, and russ.

I get what you mean. So when it goes from liquid to solid, it expands and that expansion pushes the pipe out of the fitting. I think I may end up tossing a section of flex tubing into mine. That would help eliminate any vibrations and also make it easier to line stuff up.

righttirefire

I'm just going to do it smarter this time and not use the tank to make up my joins. I'll actually measure up lay out the work and not be rushing out the door to the hospital.

righttirefire

Ok... new black rim 20 Long tetra (petco dollar/gallon sale) tank has the holes laid out and is at my LPS for drilling. The corner flow is cut out and I tried to unglue the joints, heat gun. I've successfully done this count times. And I'm impressed by the oatey products. I hate how the push "hydrologic" but I destructive inspected the joints and the bulkhead failed before the joint.

20150419_152936_zpsioialcu1.jpg

Cross section. You can see the nice coat of green transition glue on the abs and the peal of the purple primer on the pvc. Here's the hole after I removed the little piece of pvc left in the joint after cutting it apart.

20150419_152920_zpsnq4g2fnx.jpg

I'd buy this kind of joint all day. But the product pushes I'm think 1 minute plus hold time to set...

righttirefire

20150424_182213_zpszu3tprer.jpg

this tank has been a struggle! The one I cracked everything seemed to go smoothly. This has been a struggle. But it's curing. I'll fill this up Sunday and test it.

Archived