Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clam went sexual. :) and :( at same time

gus6464

My maxima decided to spawn and nuke my tank along with it. SPS are dead and only a couple acans survived. Thinking about putting her in a small cube tank by herself and with maybe an anemone or two.

It looks like it wasn't a stress induced spawn as days passed before I realized what happened and she is happy as can be opening up big. Are there any corals out there that can survive a clam spawning event?

I didn't know clam spawning can be so devastating.

What were other signs then dying corals?

I'm getting one next week to help out fellow hobbyist who is moving and this worries me just a bit.

My maxima decided to spawn and nuke my tank along with it. SPS are dead and only a couple acans survived. Thinking about putting her in a small cube tank by herself and with maybe an anemone or two.

It looks like it wasn't a stress induced spawn as days passed before I realized what happened and she is happy as can be opening up big. Are there any corals out there that can survive a clam spawning event?

I didn't know clam spawning can be so devastating.

What were other signs then dying corals?

I'm getting one next week to help out fellow hobbyist who is moving and this worries me just a bit.

The water basically looks like milk. I thought it was a bacterial bloom at first but by the time I figured it out it was too late.

I remember listening to a podcast about coral spawning and the issue comes from the sperm. It breaks down relatively quickly and causes a lot of problems with the excess nutrients. In the ocean it gets spread out quickly but not in a closed system. It sounds like clams do something similar.

Going to move the clam to a CAD Mini 8 or Fusion 10. Dunno if this was a sign as the tank was going to get torn down next month since I am buying an Artisan II system @ MAX.

Going to move the clam to a CAD Mini 8 or Fusion 10. Dunno if this was a sign as the tank was going to get torn down next month since I am buying an Artisan II system @ MAX.

It's one of two things, either the tank is doing really well or the clam was stressed. Not sure how you can tell which one is the cause, haha.

It's one of two things, either the tank is doing really well or the clam was stressed. Not sure how you can tell which one is the cause, haha.

Yeah haha. One thing for sure I have learned with clams is that they like dirty water.

The water basically looks like milk. I thought it was a bacterial bloom at first but by the time I figured it out it was too late.

Pretty solid sign to say the least. I though symptoms were more subtle. Thanks

Can you share some details on the tank? Volume? Filtration? Also the type and size of clam?

Tank is a cadlights zen 48g. No sump, just a Tunze 9004 and 2x RW-4. Tank has no fish. Had a lawnmower blenny who decided to go carpet surfing. Actual water volume is more like ~39g.

Clam is a maxima. She is ~6" long.

Archived