Innovative Marine Aquariums

3g straight outta Locash

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

My PAR30 showed up, hopefully soon enough to save the Monti frag. I pulled the zoos as the pox was really bad.

It's plenty bright but thanks to the limited space under the microwave shelf, I can't really get it high enough for a good spread. Might consider moving the tank.

TheKingInYellow

Cheap eBay PAR30 is already flickering on and off. Piece of junk. I've put in an order for a Coral Compulsion 18k PAR30 instead. Hopefully the build quality on it is better.

Pistol shrimp was sited for the first time in two or three weeks last night. It took some sinking shrimp pellet. The new cleaner is a great addition to the tank, lots of colour and motion which is welcome. Still waiting to see how the Monti will fare under better lighting but the Rics seem very happy, better colour and not stretching for light as much.

TheKingInYellow

Still waiting on the Coral Compulsion bulb to show up, and this eBay bulb is a POS, but man have the Rics really responded. Great colour now, although it came too late to help the Monti :(

TheKingInYellow

Coral Compulsion light showed up and damn is the colour nice on this bulb.

Time to go coral shopping this weekend!

TheKingInYellow

Going to try another Monti, and with the intensity of the new light I might give an Acro a shot up top.

I have room on the bed for a Brain and then I think I'm going to stick with a bunch of Ricordeas for the rest of the rock.

Tank is looking clean, the Diatom bloom is pretty much over and the two Trocheus snails are keeping everything shiny. No hair algae, nothing. The Prodibio stuff seems to have worked!

TheKingInYellow

So the plan changed just ever so slightly when we got to the LFS. Too many pretty colourful sticks...

So acclimating right now is a sweet green Millepora, a purple Monti frag and a great little Torch colony with one head each in green and purple :wub:

21w of LED over 3g and roughly 30x water turnover should be enough I hope!

TheKingInYellow

Updated shots. Just phone pics so nothing stellar.

Green Millepora:

CXwgEhFl.jpg?1

Purple Monti:

fOHMwfrl.jpg?1

Two colour torch colony:

oZFIb1ll.jpg?1

Updated FTS:

pQTpnI6l.jpg

TheKingInYellow

It occurs to me that I've now put something like $400 in livestock and $150 of extra equipment in my 'low cash' pico.

I'm bad at this budget thing.

TheKingInYellow

Not being able to control the direction of the flow is a bit of a pain in the arse, but overall it's doing the job. I've moved it so the Mille gets more direct flow, and less goes to the Monti but the right side of the rock is a little calm for my liking. The torch shows good movement and some randomness in the flow as it's buffeted off the the rock and the front glass.

TheKingInYellow

Compared to the eBay bulb it's night and day for colour, but the sps are all new so I can't compare colour or polyp extension.

This one doesn't flicker all the time though, that's a win right there.

• 1 month later...
TheKingInYellow

So the Monti has been growing, new skeleton, great colour everything going great since it went in/

Suddenly, boom, it's losing flesh. Did back to back 40% water changes a day apart and it seemed to stop. Suddenly again, it's losing flesh.

WTF. The Millepora is pretty close to it and very happy. All the inverts are happy.

Will it lose flesh from too much direct flow maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

How was your parameters? CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, ALKALINE? hope it was up to specs some Sps and LPS need those to thrive and grow their skeletons.

TheKingInYellow

Nothing parameter wise, the Millipora is a far more sensitive coral and its doing great.

Archived