Coral Vue Hydros

lots of small tube worms need to know what they are.

travisb15

I have hundreds of these little guys all over one of my LR. Not sure if they are good or bad.

Also new to the forum i have restarted my saltwater hobbie with a 29g bio cube.

Thanks.post-87557-0-34178300-1426183371_thumb.jpgpost-87557-0-34178300-1426183371_thumb.jpg

Hydroids are an extremely diverse group of creatures, not all hydroids are super quick growing, a few are extremely powerful, and fast reproducing, some have wicked powerful stings. Yet many of them are slower growing, and many are delicate, your hydroids bunched growth could be a sign for caution, how quickly are they growing.

I couldn't tell from the pictures, but make sure it's not Neomeris Annulata. It can take over the entire tank and the spores can lie dormant for several years. Ask me how I know.

NM. Got on the Pc so I could see pics better and I can see the tentacles coming out the top. Neomeris just has a rounded top. It's a calcerous algae.

23942C49-96FF-4F84-88DC-17F58CFE4EF6-552

I couldn't tell from the pictures, but make sure it's not Neomeris Annulata. It can take over the entire tank and the spores can lie dormant for several years. Ask me how I know.

NM. Got on the Pc so I could see pics better and I can see the tentacles coming out the top. Neomeris just has a rounded top. It's a calcerous algae. 23942C49-96FF-4F84-88DC-17F58CFE4EF6-552

how do you know lol

Don't mean to hijack but is this what I have too? I assumed it was just some macro algae because it literally hasnt changed over the past six months.

E8d9LYH.jpg

gvQOJqs.jpg

Thanks!

how do you know lol

It took a tank crash, all new rock and fragging off anything that had neomeris on it to getrid of it. Every now and then ill see a stalk coming out of a coral that i movec from the old tank. Fire up the dremel with a diamond wheel and cut it off. Doesnt matter how much you like the piece, cut it up..

they are not growing quick at all seems to have the same amount on it sense buying the LR. What kind of fish or invert would eat these?? thanks for all the responses!

they are not growing quick at all seems to have the same amount on it sense buying the LR. What kind of fish or invert would eat these?? thanks for all the responses!

just let it go it's probably harmless, how many months has the rock been there?

Don't mean to hijack but is this what I have too? I assumed it was just some macro algae because it literally hasnt changed over the past six months.

E8d9LYH.jpg

gvQOJqs.jpg

Thanks!

yours is algae or sponge, it's fine let it grow in peace

It took a tank crash, all new rock and fragging off anything that had neomeris on it to getrid of it. Every now and then ill see a stalk coming out of a coral that i movec from the old tank. Fire up the dremel with a diamond wheel and cut it off. Doesnt matter how much you like the piece, cut it up..

did necomeris cause your crash?

Of so how?

reefernanoman

E8d9LYH.jpg

gvQOJqs.jpg

Thanks!

Nah, that's different.

havent had it more than two months. Im going to wait and see what kind of growth there is.

They are colonial hydroids and they start popping up all over the place just like aptisia. Actually, they are worse because nothing eats them. When I grab them with my tweezers, they are so strong that I can literally lift up the LR and I have to twist them off!

havent had it more than two months. Im going to wait and see what kind of growth there is.

good :) keep me posted if and how it changes over time, I've seen a case where someone had an unusual hydroid in his tank, he left it, and it made one bud and hasn't changed since lol

good news so far they are not spreading... i think. The anenome has made a new home In the middle of the rock in question and is zapping a good amount of them to death and that is pleasing!

I'd toss the rock and get a new one.

This is a 60$ beautiful rock that i do not want to throw away if there is any hope of saving it. Thanks for the help anyway

Here is the front where most hydos are you can see where the anenome has killed a Few on the left.

post-87557-0-22003600-1426620576_thumb.jpg

If you can get the anemone off easily, take the rock out and soak it in hydrogen peroxide. Then scrub it and rinse it well in ro/di water. Then put a generous amount of super glue all over the area where the hydos were.

I had a small patch that didn't multiply for months, but then spread to other rocks. Tried many things, but nothing was nearly as effective as a blowtorch to the infected areas. It caused die off but didn't kill the entire rock. Rinsed with saltwater in a bucket, placed it in another bucket of saltwater with a pump for a few days and then back in the tank.

Obviously these hydroids weren't bad ones since bad ones have the legendary coral killer stings, your anemone ironically is worse than the hydroids

If I were you I'd spare the hydroids this time around

amphipod i am leaning towards your opinion. If i see spread to other rocks or more on the same rock i will do either one of the ideas the last two said. As of now they are fine. More have died sense last photo the anenome is having a blast with them! Haha

I think this is a nudi but i am not sure. I do not want to pluck him out before i get a positive id. Can someone please help i have him and a smaller one that i am about to get rid of. Ps. Rocks are so white due to my soon to be former hungry hungry coraline eating urchin....

I think this is a nudi but i am not sure. I do not want to pluck him out before i get a positive id. Can someone please help i have him and a smaller one that i am about to get rid of. Ps. Rocks are so white due to my soon to be former hungry hungry coraline eating urchin....

post-87557-0-98402900-1426704044_thumb.jpg

Nemertia worm, he is a scavenger of meat or a carnivore, some eat little crustaceans, worms, others eat snailand similar creatures, others eat eggs, very varied eating patterns

You can isolate him and offer foods to see what he in particular likes to eat

Archived