Top Shelf Aquatics

PDR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is looking great! Really like the scape.

Has your dry rock got coraline growth yet? I started my tank with Dry rock (plus a few seed pieces of live rock) and wondering how long it takes to start seeing the purple stuff.

Thanks! My rock does have some purple but not much. It is however covered in what I believe to be green coraline. I had the same question as you before I started and from what I could find the purple coraline seems to take off between 6-12 months depending on the tank.

I am not very patient, so this will be a great test! I was hoping for a little quicker, but ohh well!

I am considering going back to a fish store I found last weekend and getting a few more lbs of their premium live rock. It was well prices and had tons of life. I got 1 piece from there last time and it has added so much to my tank. Might just get another couple lbs and use the dry rock for the base. Decisions....

• 2 weeks later...

PDR what is your Current LED light set to? I have one on my 10 gal and am wondering what to run the lights at. Thanks!

Acclimated under the preset modes? Or...? Also how is your filter set up? Floss in bottom of media basket then purigen in the middle then the other media on top? Sorry for the questions I am new lol. Great tank btw!

Thanks

Cool thanks! Have you had any algae problems with running the light that long? Also if you did how'd you reduce the algae?

Markburns43

Very nice tank, i love all the colors, your big euphlyia is beautifully colored, i have the same one but only under actinic does it look colored up likenyours

How is the Birdnest with the current orbit? I've heard mixed reviews about growing Sps with it

Ok well good luck with it. My fiance really wants some birdsnest so that is why I asked. She is crazy for sps and is mad because they are harder to keep lol

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking tank! I'm running a 10g as well. What is reasoning behind wanting the AC70 opposed to the AC50. I was leaning toward the AC50 for my tank but would love your input.

Markburns43

Seems on my 10 gallon using the same reef salt i have about 7 to 8 alk i do dose a single alk supplement, i would not worry to much as long as your ph is stable other wise dose regularly or more frequent water changes. Just easier to add alittle supplement, and the ac 70 is great because it holds more water more media accually i have a skimmer in mine and two medias and filter floss, inpersonally thought the ac50 just was not enough filtration for how i feed and how i have my ac70 set up i couldnt be happier, not one thing wrong with the ac50 but i wanted the largest with out being way overkill ie 110

Tanks looking good btw man!

Markburns43

Thats what allways confused me man im not a veteran but i think the larger volume still in the tank and the fact i only do a gallon max two gallons change buffers the newly mixed water, ive switch salts but that was a pale of red sea pro ago so i thought id have a higher kh than 7.8 to 8 some times 9 on a two gallon water change when its mixed at 13 kh ,anyways, is everything happy? Is your ph staying solid? Does kh drop through the week alittle?

I guess its more of a scientific theory type question were after lol

HarryPotter

Thats what allways confused me man im not a veteran but i think the larger volume still in the tank and the fact i only do a gallon max two gallons change buffers the newly mixed water, ive switch salts but that was a pale of red sea pro ago so i thought id have a higher kh than 7.8 to 8 some times 9 on a two gallon water change when its mixed at 13 kh ,anyways, is everything happy? Is your ph staying solid? Does kh drop through the week alittle?

I guess its more of a scientific theory type question were after lol

My water change water (I do 5g on a 45) always is a bit weird. Its LFS water, so has REALLY high alk but average Calcium and Magnesium.

Its only 5g though, so the water volume buffers the difference

Markburns43

Gotcha, Okay so how about pdrs fish only tank? Ill assume for now he started with red sea pro which is high at about 12 to 13 kh how has it dropped and not maintained 12 to 13 ? I know theres more in depth reasoning for this difference.

Yesss thats what id like too understand

Hammerstone

I still don't really have purple coraline in my oldest tank. I have a lot of red and some green on the glass. I think the lighting might have something to do with it because my newer tank which gets some sun light and has a coral rated light, is very bright has it growing all over the place.

Archived