inTank Media Baskets

3.6 gallon Mantis Tank

zhark

No personal experience with Al prime or Nanobox. I do own Celestial. For small tanks up to 12" cube it should be enough. Easy to setup. But I have seen Al prime and love wireless connectivity and other features. I think it might be a better choice. Nanobox has great reviews and top notch customer service. It is definitely an option to consider.

Thanks for the advice! I saw a celestial 35F in fish street and it was huge! It was quite pricey though. $1580 HKD (keep in mind it was already being used). What kind of controls are there and settings you use for your tank? Does it come with a auto dimmer (sunrise/sunset etc) option? As I'm going to university in a few months and it'd be alot easier for my dad to take of my tank :3

Short update on the tank:

All corals are doing well, the gold torch and several acans have all acclimated fine. However, the color is still slightly faded on my torch and on one of my acans one of the polyps is a completely different color! (grey/green) could be due to being shaded and expunging its zooxanthellae?? My sun coral also closed up for 2 days and I thought it was dying, however it opened up and seems to be fine now... it was also shedding yellow stuff, is this a form of excretion or is it sick? My water parameters are all in check. Also my mantis is currently creating a shitstorm, moving sand everywhere, I think he's preparing for a molt.

Out of context, I went diving and freediving at Hoi Ha Wan - one of the most accessible and attractive coral sites in Hong Kong. Took a few shots:

FtCRtua.jpg

r7Udg4t.jpg

UnxxFMJ.jpg

Hong Kong is notorious for its poor visibility underwater, but it made up with very dense coral coverage. However, in this location, it mainly comprised of favites. I only saw one goniopora. Was expecting some zoanthus but didn't see any... all the pics were taken from a gopro so the quality isn't too great.

Thanks for the advice! I saw a celestial 35F in fish street and it was huge! It was quite pricey though. $1580 HKD (keep in mind it was already being used). What kind of controls are there and settings you use for your tank? Does it come with a auto dimmer (sunrise/sunset etc) option? As I'm going to university in a few months and it'd be alot easier for my dad to take of my tank :3

Currently I am using it on my 12 inch cube due to premature failure of PAR38 led that was in this setup. (Used it previously as a complementary light along with kessil 150 for my 16g IM tank.)

You can control 4 channels (2 whites and 2 blues) independently (intensity, timing on/off) and run it automatically or manually. Very easy to set up. Running it at %95 blues, %40 whites for about 12 hrs a day. Once setup, you won't need to mess with it again.

~Mini Disaster~

My dragonsbreath algae was dislodged and I recently ran out of superglue so I went out today to purchase some more, but I came across some Fluval epoxy putty. Assuming they were trustworthy etc. I bought it to fix my algae. I followed all the instructions, mixing the putty together and letting it rest for one minute etc. before putting it in water. After touching it once or twice it started turning my water cloudy and it wouldn't stick to my rock... my corals all looked agitated and my anemones started gaping. So I did some vigorous water changes. All seem well now, except for my purple tipped BTA, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Reading a couple of forums, it turns out the cloudy particles in the water lower oxygen levels?? Thankfully I don't have any fish, and my inverts didn't require as much oxygen. Looks like I'm sticking back to superglue :c

LGZ1yqg.jpg

Another unfortunate event is when I purchased some nice Zoas, which were fairly cheap. One of the polyps seems to have contracted zoa pox (my arc nemesis). I'm not sure if I can find any medication for them as zoanthids in general are extremely cheap in Hong Kong fish shops, and most of the shops tend to leave their zoanthids to die.

I missed out that the last polyp in the picture wasn't open... :(

17039399091_2f5eac9c0d_s.jpgx49 $80 hold by amazing888coral, on Flickr

Archived