Coral Vue Hydros

Gorgonian

Amy

I moved the flow to be more on it. I also just fragged that one as well so now I have two so I am sure it will not be happy with me for a few days.

The one bottom branch is still fully open so strange how only one is open.There is the odd polyp coming out on the fragged one but I don't expect much since it was just done. They sure are pretty, I think all sea fans are beautiful. I really love the red and yellow ones but know they should not be in the home aquarium but are so beautiful to look at.

Do either of you know if this is a Purple Bush or a Purple Whip?

Do either of you know if this is a Purple Bush or a Purple Whip?

Wow. Amy, you picked a beautiful specimen.

Purple whip, purple brush, and purple plume are common names that, unfortunately are often interchangeable. One man's whip is another man's bush. :-) But in any case, I'm pretty sure you have a species of Antillogorgia, a.k.a. Pseudopterogorgia.

Thanks, now I just hope I don't kill it :-)

There was two of them the other one did not have near the purple this one did it was more droopy as well.

I just did the frag thing today so will see how well this goes. It was easy to do so hope it recovers well.

When you have flow directed on it is it okay for the branches to be moving or not?

jedimasterben

Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata is the species.

Give it as much flow as you can, and then add more. That's how this particular gorgonian likes it.

jedimasterben

Imagine if the gorgonian had a face, and you just kept punching it :D

High, nearly extreme, laminar flow seems to be the key in keeping specific species (like this one) looking great and growing.

So I fragged my gorgonian on Tuesday, next day it was not open but the following day it was this is what it looks like and still does after the fragging.

post-20908-0-38299200-1427068493_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

Looks good! Keep it with good flow and feed low-micron foods at least once a week and you'll keep it plenty happy :)

jedimasterben

For this species cyclops might be a bit too large, but rotifers are good since they're super tiny :)

Definitely. They love it and helps in shedding.

This species actually doesn't shed.

Actually it does shed there are threads of stuff coming of it in the water flow it did this right after I fragged it and there is still the odd piece of it coming off I can see it right on the skin of it shedding off. I took a stick and you can actually pull some of it off the flow is right on it so its coming off nicely in the water.

Any other foods besides the rotifers you can recommend?

jedimasterben

Actually it does shed there are threads of stuff coming of it in the water flow it did this right after I fragged it and there is still the odd piece of it coming off I can see it right on the skin of it shedding off. I took a stick and you can actually pull some of it off the flow is right on it so its coming off nicely in the water.

Any other foods besides the rotifers you can recommend?

Interesting, I've had mine since early October of last year and I've never seen it shed once. I wonder if yours may be a slightly different species? (there are a few in the Psuedopterogorgia genus that all look very similar)

Fresh artemia nauplii, New Life Spectrum Nutri/Cell, Reef Cleaners Filter Feeder Food, Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy.

Thanks for all those foods, It might be a different kind there is still some stuff hanging from it but its fully open too looks good I am happy so far I have not killed it.

I would not stress yourself with nutrient needs for gorgonians. Any phyto and zooplankton would do. As long as light and flow is adequate, you should be fine.

I would not stress yourself with nutrient needs for gorgonians. Any phyto and zooplankton would do. As long as light and flow is adequate, you should be fine.

Agree. That's the beauty of having photosynthetic Gorgonians.

Archived