Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what to use for a 57g

clink51

was looking at the 24w and the 35w Par 38's. was wondering how many you'd recommend and are they dimmable via controller or only on the switch. I dont have any SPS, just some LPS a BTA and Zoas

CoralCompulsion

What are the dimensions of your tank? That would really be the determining factor between the two. For most tanks over 40g, we typically recommend our 35w bulbs, but it would really be determined by actual dimensions.

Both the 24w and 35w bulbs are only dimmable via switch.

CoralCompulsion

I would personally go with 2 of the 35w bulbs. I have a similar sized tank, primarily encrusting LPS, zoas, and mushrooms, with a few SPS sprinkled throughout, and I run 2 of the 35w 22k superblu bulbs over it. They provide a good amount of light, and even allow good penetration in a tank of that depth.

I like the 22k model because most of my corals are very flourescent and I like the crazy amount of glow they provide, however the appearance of the tank is definitely very blue. If you prefer a more natural color, still with a decent amount of pop from fluorescent corals, you could always go with the 18k model also.

Hope that helps.

how is yours set up? how far in between? sorry for all the questions but this is becoming a more possible addition over the kessils. only drawback is i cant connect them to a controller

CoralCompulsion

I have them hanging over the tank with simple hanging cord sockets from Ikea. Went with those just for the aesthetic, cause I liked the look for that specific tank. I also have a 90 gallon all softy tank with the 24w par bulbs over it, and for that one I went with our lamp clamp fixtures.

For both tanks, the bulbs are about 10-12" apart, and about 8-10" from the water surface.

Archived