Pod Your Reef

Test kits?

ajonesphoto

ajonesphoto

I have a fairly new tank with a couple of clowns, a Wasse, a snail and some shrimp, no coral. I was bad about water changes for a little while and my husband was over feeding the fish so we are fixing our tank and are wondering what test kit is best. Our reef store just told us to use the API kits for our little 20 gallon tank but which one do I need. There is a saltwater master kit and a reef master kit and I am not sure which I need.

I have a fairly new tank with a couple of clowns, a Wasse, a snail and some shrimp, no coral. I was bad about water changes for a little while and my husband was over feeding the fish so we are fixing our tank and are wondering what test kit is best. Our reef store just told us to use the API kits for our little 20 gallon tank but which one do I need. There is a saltwater master kit and a reef master kit and I am not sure which I need.

The API kits are the cheapest and also probably the most inaccurate but they still get the job done. Their scales are a bit too large which can make it difficult. I would look at getting some salifert test kits. You should have ammonia, nitrite (only needed while cycling usually) nitrate, phosphate, Ca, and Alk. If you want to start keeping corals then you may want to invest in a magnesium test kit as well.

ajonesphoto

I'll look into those, thanks! My reef stores aren't really close so they may have suggested the api kit just because I can get it at petsmart down the street.

ajonesphoto

What about the Red Sea test kits? The Salifert would cost me $100, the Red Sea is $50 and has everything but phosphate and then the API is obviously the cheapest at like $30 for everything

Oh, sorry. Yes, you should have pH as well. Red Sea is another good brand and they have a full test kit I think.

ajonesphoto

I went with the Red Sea test kit because it was a much better test than the api test by reviews online in reef forums and it was a better price for me. But I will probably get Salifert for magnesium once I get some corals. Thank you!

Archived