Coral Vue Hydros

repairing a broken HOB

dixiedog

I have a barely-used Aquaclear 110 that got damaged in a move. I hate to just throw it away!

I guess these are acrylic, right? I have some Weld-on 16 ... I'm thinking if I had an acrylic "patch", I could just glue it on and be good to go. Thoughts? Any ingenious ideas on where to scrounge a piece of patch material?

Thanks!

10cuexe.jpg

I would do that.

These things are usually made out of styrene or similar, and don't act the same as acrylic when you try to use solvent based adhesives. If you want to try repairing it, I would use silicone to glue a tight fitting panel of acrylic to the INSIDE of the chamber. Much less chance of failure at that point. And don't skimp on the silicone.

I would do that.

These things are usually made out of styrene or similar, and don't act the same as acrylic when you try to use solvent based adhesives. If you want to try repairing it, I would use silicone to glue a tight fitting panel of acrylic to the INSIDE of the chamber. Much less chance of failure at that point. And don't skimp on the silicone.

agreed!

I decided to use fiberglass. Dunno why I didn't think of that from the start. It worked like a champ! One layer of cloth on the outside, one layer inside, with some thickened epoxy to fill the void where a piece was missing. A light sanding around the edges and done. Much stronger than new! And since I already had the materials on hand, the cost was almost zero. :)

29kouhc.jpg

2n033us.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived