inTank Media Baskets

Josh's Ecotech Fueled IM Fusion 20!

JMCollins24

JMCollins24

So after a few years in the hobby, and several (failed) attempts I've been bitten by the bug again!

Tired of ghetto rigging tanks together, I decided that if I was going to dive in again, that I would do it right and buy hardware that was built to last, keep me interested, and produce a better end result! I originally bought some chinese strip lights (In house at the LFS) and a sunsetter timer when I bought the tank, but quickly swapped them out for the radion. The wireless integration is too nice to pass up!

Tank cycle just finished earlier this week (~3 weeks up and running), so the coral fun will start soon!

Hardware
Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 20
Stand: Innovative Marine Fusion 20 Stand/ Cabinet
Pump: Vortech MP10wES
Lights/ Mount: Ecotech Marine Radion XR15w Pro/ RMS Tank Mount
Controller: Ecotech Marine ReefLink
Skimmer: IM Ghost Desktop
Reactor: CPR Nano Tumbler
Heater: Eheim Jäger TruTemp 75w
Thermometer: Coralife Digital Thermometer
Automatic Top Off: JBJ ATO
ATO Pump: Cobalt MJ900
Media: AUQA Gadget Media Baskets/ Stock Media (For now)
Filtration Media: Chemi Pure Blue, Filterfloss
Test Kit: API Saltwater Master
Cleaning: Small MagFloat
Rock: 15lbs Cured Live Rock from LFS - Single Piece
Sand: 20# Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade
Refugium: 3 IKEA LED DIODER Strip lights, Chaeto, Caulerpa

Livestock
2 Platinum Clownfish Traded
1 Single-Spot Domino Clownfish
1 Frostbite Clownfish RIP
1 Small Flame Angel RIP
1 Midas Blenny
1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
CUC: 10 Dwarf Ceriths, 3 Nassarius Vibex, 4 Florida Ceriths, 4 Nerite Snails (Cleaner Shrimp will be added this weekend! -- Added!)

Initial Progress

Coral Plans: Euphillias have always been my favorite, so there will definitely be an abundance of those, but I really want to keep SPS with this tank since I never really ventured into it in the past. Softies will definitely be included, because how can you not love some nice looking zoas, rics, and shrooms?!

On My List: DSLR camera, Another MP10wES- QD, Quiet Drive controller for existing MP10, Skimmer.(Added!) I'm sure I'll add more things to this list as time goes on, or as I think of more ways to spend all my money! :unsure:

I'm going to let the tank settle for a little bit longer before I start adding the coral. CUC will be ordered from reef cleaners(probably Monday), because there really is no other way!

Initial goods...
IMG_0318.JPG

Stand completed... I like the stand, but the internal compartments are WAY too small.. The Besta from IKEA may be a better option...
IMG_0319.jpg

Ready for water...
IMG_0322.jpg

Bird's Eye view of the rock..
IMG_0324.JPG

Happiness in a box!
IMG_0342.jpg

The good stuff!
IMG_0347.JPG

Cabinet organized...
IMG_0377.jpg

All set up... (Naturally my iPhone 6 Plus takes crappy photos under the LEDS)

IMG_0358.jpg

FTS 02/2015
IMG_0359.JPG

FTS 03/2015
RL9O2Lrl.jpg

FTS 04/2015
V2tHZUhl.jpg?1

• Like 1

Looking good. I've been wanting to get back into the hobby and the IM tanks look sweet. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing your tank develop.

• Like 1
JMCollins24

Looking good. I've been wanting to get back into the hobby and the IM tanks look sweet. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing your tank develop.

Looks awesome. I've been eyeing this tank but may go with the IM 40 once I move to a more permanent location.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! The anticipation of adding coral is killing me! I'm going to go have a look today when I get some water from the LFS, but I'm going to do everything possible to wait one more week! On the flip side, I'm going to see about trading in those platinum clowns, too.

Steensj2004

Great start! Nice pick on equipment! I suggest you stuck with 1-MP10 and use the 290.00 on a controller , that will allow you automated temperature control, ph monitoring, along with additional automation( including dosing automation down the road).

JMCollins24

Great start! Nice pick on equipment! I suggest you stuck with 1-MP10 and use the 290.00 on a controller , that will allow you automated temperature control, ph monitoring, along with additional automation( including dosing automation down the road).

Thanks! Yeah, I'm debating on them there fancy gadgets, lol

Well, I successfully avoided the urge to go pick out a bunch of coral today! Next weekend looks more promising!

On a side note, I did order my CUC from reef cleaners! Again, the only way to go! ;)

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-03-08%2520at%25

JMCollins24

Not a super fun, awesome update, but the CUC arrived today fro Reef Cleaners! As always the packaging was great, and there were plenty of extras, too!

Definitely great timing as I've started a small diatom/algae bloom that will keep the snails full!

Planning on adding at least one 1 cleaner shrimp and maybe an emerald crab this weekend to round out the crew..

IMG_0396.JPG

Snails on the move...

IMG_0398.JPG

Curent FTS 3.12.15

IMG_0401.JPG

JMCollins24

Good start! That xr15 covers the tank perfectly eh?

Thanks! I love the coverage from this light, it's perfect for this tank! The wireless programming with the ReefLink is awesome!

Today I changed 5 gallons of water, topped off my top off, made a fuge in one of the media chambers, and added some livestock! The platinum clowns are gone and have been replaced with some larger clownfish (single spot domino, frostbitten clown).

For the fuge, I recycled some IKEA LED strips that I used previously on another tank. They seem to do the trick and I already had them lying around, so why not?! I filled the mini fuge with Chaeto and some Caulerpa.

In the other media basket, I ditched the OEM IM filtration sponges and went with Chemi Pure Blue and some filter floss.. the only concern that I have with this now is that I'm losing out on some water polishing without having the dual intakes running the filter floss?

Some pics of my DIY fuge lighting.. Pics of the new livestock to come when the tank settles back down!

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

View from inside...

IMG_0438.jpg

View from outside.. Since the tank backs up to a wall, the outside glow is minimal when viewing the tank..

IMG_0440.jpg

I almost forgot.. I painted the white mesh with some black Krylon Fusion today, too...

• Like 1

sweet build. I also have the 20 and I am waiting to set it up to when we move into our new place, dont know when that will be tho. Hopefully this year. I love the looks of the xr15 with the RMS. After seeing those pics Im pretty sure I have narrowed the lighting options down to this setup. Before it was that, the kessil a160, or perhaps a maxspect razor. I also considered the new AI Prime but I dont think it will extend to the full 24 inch tank.

Again, the build looks nice, very nice.

• Like 1

Nice thread! I'm also using the IM 20 tank and I LOVE it. I also thought about changing one of the media basket areas into a small fuge, so I'm interested to see how yours turns out!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

sweet build. I also have the 20 and I am waiting to set it up to when we move into our new place, dont know when that will be tho. Hopefully this year. I love the looks of the xr15 with the RMS. After seeing those pics Im pretty sure I have narrowed the lighting options down to this setup. Before it was that, the kessil a160, or perhaps a maxspect razor. I also considered the new AI Prime but I dont think it will extend to the full 24 inch tank.

You would need two Primes to cover this tank and it would still be cheaper than a single Radion lol

Ai Prime- $199 each = $400 + 2 mounts = $460

Xr15pro- $450 + RMS + reeflink = $637

• Like 1
JMCollins24

This is a sick setup.

Nice thread! I'm also using the IM 20 tank and I LOVE it. I also thought about changing one of the media basket areas into a small fuge, so I'm interested to see how yours turns out!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words!

I picked up a nice pink hammer with two heads today to throw in and gauge my "readiness" to start filling this sucker up with more color! So far it seems to be acclimating quite nicely.. Pretty much fully open within 20 minutes on the sanded across from the MP10. The LFS I bought it from was running radion's, so the acclimation period should be minimal, if any.

Now I'm heavily researching the market for a decent reactor and skimmer... I would've went for the IM versions of both, but I hear such mixed reviews about the Ghost skimmer that makes me lean toward another brand. As far as the reactor is concerned, I'm leaning toward the CPR Aquatic Nano Tumbler.. I've heard/ read great things about it and it will fit nicely in one of the larger rear chambers.

Any suggestions are definitely welcome!

• Like 1
JMCollins24

I just saw how cheap it was to order from reef cleaners.. no fair D: hermit crabs in Toronto are 20 bucks for 10 :(

Yeah, reef cleaners is the $#!T! Even better since I live in FL and the shipping is only $5 B)

• Like 1

Yeah, reef cleaners is the $#!T! Even better since I live in FL and the shipping is only $5 B)

Don't get me started on Canada. It costs $40 dollars to ship something an hour away.

• Like 1
JMCollins24

Don't get me started on Canada. It costs $40 dollars to ship something an hour away.

Ahh, that sucks! Definitely the nice part of living in Florida is that there are many options for LFS and there's so much that's accessible for the hobby.

I have the same exact setup. Tank, light, power head, refugium setup, CPB.

I have the IM Skimmer with decent results so far. The only thing that took long was the break in period, but other than that it's been working great.

I would also recommend the Tunze nano ATO. Best investment so far. Fits great in the middle compartment.

Will follow your progress.

Thanks! So far my JBJ ATO seems to be doing the trick but Ive definitely had my eye on the tunze!

As far as the skimmer goes, I'm conflicted.. I've talked to a lot of local guys that insist they're not necessary for nano tanks as long as you keep up on your WCs.. I've also been lead down the path that a reactor with a fuge is more beneficial than a akimmer on a nano.. Ugh.. Decisions decisions.. Someone please chime in!

reefernanoman

Ahh, that sucks! Definitely the nice part of living in Florida is that there are many options for LFS and there's so much that's accessible for the hobby.

Thanks! So far my JBJ ATO seems to be doing the trick but Ive definitely had my eye on the tunze!

As far as the skimmer goes, I'm conflicted.. I've talked to a lot of local guys that insist they're not necessary for nano tanks as long as you keep up on your WCs.. I've also been lead down the path that a reactor with a fuge is more beneficial than a akimmer on a nano.. Ugh.. Decisions decisions.. Someone please chime in!

Awesome equipment and tank! Don't get a skimmer! It's pretty much useless on such a small tank! 3G weekly water changes and a good salt like RSCP is all that is needed! Get an Apex Jr instead (if you haven't gotten one yet lol). I have been running my 28g skimerless for years with no issues! I do have a ghost skimmer in my 10G and sometimes I wonder why lol.
  • Like 1

Yeah man, I was in Miami last winter and just driving around I saw so many LFS and decided to stop at a couple, There were loads of fish, corals, tanks you name it lol. Back then I wasn't reefing but I still knew a lot about the hobby. Canada is slowly growing, i'd say there are a load of fish, and coral options. We recently just started getting ORA fish, but we can't get any ORA coral which boggles my mind.. The only thing that troubles us is the exchange and shipping rates which make it hard to buy from smaller companies like NB,and inTank. Laws like CITIES that don't allow import from a shop like Reef Cleaners. When Canada gets their own Live Aquaria, BRS, and Marine Depot. That will be the day! :rolleyes:

• Like 3
reefernanoman

Yeah man, I was in Miami last winter and just driving around I saw so many LFS and decided to stop at a couple, There were loads of fish, corals, tanks you name it lol. Back then I wasn't reefing but I still knew a lot about the hobby. Canada is slowly growing, i'd say there are a load of fish, and coral options. We recently just started getting ORA fish, but we can't get any ORA coral which boggles my mind.. The only thing we lack is accessibility to smaller companies like NB, inTank, Reef Cleaners would be amazing. When Canada gets their own Live Aquaria, BRS, and Marine Depot. That will be the day! :rolleyes:

It's fine to have online stores. I think that they would have to jack up their prices to keep up a brick and mortar store. They save and we save at the same time. Win, win.

• Like 1
JMCollins24

Awesome equipment and tank! Don't get a skimmer! It's pretty much useless on such a small tank! 3G weekly water changes and a good salt like RSCP is all that is needed! Get an Apex Jr instead (if you haven't gotten one yet lol). I have been running my 28g skimerless for years with no issues! I do have a ghost skimmer in my 10G and sometimes I wonder why lol.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to hold off on a skimmer.. I definitely will be getting a reactor when I can actually make up my mind, lol As far as the Apex goes, I'm definitely interested but I'm still researching.. I see it's advantages, but I'm not really sure what it really would negate from me having to do? If I could set up some way to automatically perform water changes with it, I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Yeah man, I was in Miami last winter and just driving around I saw so many LFS and decided to stop at a couple, There were loads of fish, corals, tanks you name it lol. Back then I wasn't reefing but I still knew a lot about the hobby. Canada is slowly growing, i'd say there are a load of fish, and coral options. We recently just started getting ORA fish, but we can't get any ORA coral which boggles my mind.. The only thing we lack is accessibility to smaller companies like NB, inTank, Reef Cleaners would be amazing. When Canada gets their own Live Aquaria, BRS, and Marine Depot. That will be the day! :rolleyes:

Yeah it's nice to have the accessibility... The downside is it's obviously more expensive, but instant gratification is always nice!

It's fine to have online stores. I think that they would have to jack up their prices to keep up a brick and mortar store. They save and we save at the same time. Win, win.

I agree.. The only thing that sucks (and I haven't done yet aside from buying various CUC's from reef cleaners) is buying any kind of livestock online because of the shipping costs... Going through the cost for certain things that I paid for in a LFS vs. how much it would've been for me to order online makes me... yeah. Either way is has it's advantages. :)

reefernanoman

You would be amazed at the things that you can do with an Apex! I have heard of people that actually use Apex to do automatic water changes! You would have to research though like you said.

JMCollins24

Yeah I think the Apex is a little down the line for me... I'm ready to start filling this sucker with some corals! The hammer I added last weekend has been doing great so I think were off to a great start :D