Pod Your Reef

Building A Tank

StevieGF

Hi, I am thinking about building a glass aquarium with dimensions of 16 x 17 x17. Has anyone built a tank and if so do you have any tips or advice?

Should I just buy one?

For those dimensions, I think you would be money ahead buying one. Building one really becomes more cost effective on larger tanks. If you do decide to build your own, use Momentive silicone from Grainger. It is a silicone ADHESIVE, not a silicone sealant like is often used. It is ~$20/ tube but worth it for the piece of mind that the seams will not come apart

jamescstein

For those dimensions, I think you would be money ahead buying one. Building one really becomes more cost effective on larger tanks. If you do decide to build your own, use Momentive silicone from Grainger. It is a silicone ADHESIVE, not a silicone sealant like is often used. It is ~$20/ tube but worth it for the piece of mind that the seams will not come apart

Just make sure you check the dates. I bought 2 tubes from my local grainger to build a sump for my wifes 125g. It took the stuff 12 days cure to where it wasn't tacky. The stuff was 2 years old.

I don't remember the site but there is a key to the codes on the tube to tell when it was made. I wouldn't buy anything more than 6 months old.

Archived