SaltCritters.com

BIOCUBE 29 BUILD FINALLY!

akish5

Finally started my adventure into saltwater with a biocube 29. I'll post pictures later and go through the mods I made. The one question I had is that when I started filling up my tank I noticed water building up in chamber 1 and some in chamber 2 as well before it was to the top of the first chamber. I have the coralife biocube which does have a over at the top of camber 2 which allows water to go into camber 2 anyways. So my question is, should I be worried about the water getting into the second chamber before it goes through the first chamber ??? God I hope not because I have live rock and sand already in.....

I have a 29g as we'll and I'm pretty sure there are slits in the bottom of the wall between the chambers so no problems there

Hi. I'm just about to start a Biocbue 29 build thread on here as well. Right now I have BRS Pukani rock curing in a tub, so no water in the tank yet. Depending on how you plan to have C2 configured, I don't think water going straight into C2 is a big deal. I'm using the InTank media/fuse basket mod, so if some water bypasses my skimmer in C1 I'm not really going to care much.

Hi. I'm just about to start a Biocbue 29 build thread on here as well. Right now I have BRS Pukani rock curing in a tub, so no water in the tank yet. Depending on how you plan to have C2 configured, I don't think water going straight into C2 is a big deal. I'm using the InTank media/fuse basket mod, so if some water bypasses my skimmer in C1 I'm not really going to care much.

I'm using the intank media basket in the second chamber. What protein skimmer are you using? I'm on the fence about getting one, thinking about just doing frequent water changes.

I'm using an Aquatic Life 115 in C1 and I've modified it to fit using magnets. Check out "Reef Thuz's" video on youtube on how to do this. The way I've got it configured allows the hood to shut completely, so that's good. As to it's efficiency, I'can't yet say. My brother just set up a 29BC as well and he'll be running the tank for a week. He tells me his AL115 is producing nothing but water in the collection cup. But, apparently they need some time to break in. I will tell you one pain in the ass aspect to the set up is that it's nearly impossible to pull the collection cup off without disrupting the attachment of the magnets. When that happens, your magnet falls to the floor of C1 and your other crashes to the floor. The solution is never to remove the collection cup and use a turkey baster to extract the crap out of the cup.

I'm a noob, but I believe you're correct in thinking that you don't necessarily need one, that is depending on which corals you decide to stock your tank with. I would do a bit of research on which type of corals you want. I think if you want SPS you probably are best advised to get one, but if you're going to have a lot of softies, you can probably get by just fine, but please don't take my word for it.

Any idea how to post pics on here?

Here is a picture of my scape. Let me know what you guys think. I had it setup differently but it fell down so that scape wasn't going to work anyway. This picture is a little cloudy still from the sand. I went with KP Aquatics for live rock and couldn't be happier! Awesome color and tons of life! I found a couple of crabs and some brissle worms… I tried to picked most of the worms off. For my sand I went with pink Fiji from vivid aquariums and again couldn't be happier. :D

I made most of the basic mods that most people with biocubes do.

• Intank media basket. ( just using filter floss while the tank cycles, I will add my media later)
  • Hydor 425 power head
  • MJ 1200 Pump
  • Cobalt aquatic 100 watt heater.
  • Stock lighting
  • Possibly a protein skimmer later?

I have my heater set to 76 but that tank itself is at 78. So already having a little heat issue… Is it that big of a deal ? I am completely new to saltwater so I am still learning. I have read that some people say a 2-4 degree temp swing isn't all that bad? Any truth to that ?

post-87286-0-76042100-1425828730_thumb.jpg

haha im trying to figure that out too…. If you figure it out let me know

I Figured out how one way to post pictures. You can set up a free online account at Photobucket.com and upload and share your photos from that site. The site isn't particularly user-friendly as I found it difficult to navigate between menus. There may be a better way to navigate the site, but this will work:

After setting up your PB account, go to:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200933600-Easy-Linking-Mode

This page will show you how to configure your PB settings to allow sharing on forms. Use the "click here" hyperlink on that page to get to your user account settings (for the life of me I can't figure out how to get there any other way). Using the "Easy-Linking Mode" will allow each of the pictures you upload to the site to display a series of linking code options next to the photo. To to post a picture on the forms you'll need to upload your picture to PB by dragging your desired photos into your PB library. Next you'll have to copy and paste the IMG url code into the NR forums. All you will initially see when you post the IMG url code is the code itself; however, when you click "Post" that code will turn into a photo. You can do multiple photos in a single post if you like.

Let me know if you have any problems with this. Here's an example:

IMG_0070_zpspci44rw6.jpg

This is a picture of the AquaticLife 115 skimmer I modified to fit in chamber 1.

Here is a picture of my scape. Let me know what you guys think. I had it setup differently but it fell down so that scape wasn't going to work anyway. This picture is a little cloudy still from the sand. I went with KP Aquatics for live rock and couldn't be happier! Awesome color and tons of life! I found a couple of crabs and some brissle worms… I tried to picked most of the worms off. For my sand I went with pink Fiji from vivid aquariums and again couldn't be happier. :D

I made most of the basic mods that most people with biocubes do.

• Intank media basket. ( just using filter floss while the tank cycles, I will add my media later)
  • Hydor 425 power head
  • MJ 1200 Pump
  • Cobalt aquatic 100 watt heater.
  • Stock lighting
  • Possibly a protein skimmer later?

I have my heater set to 76 but that tank itself is at 78. So already having a little heat issue… Is it that big of a deal ? I am completely new to saltwater so I am still learning. I have read that some people say a 2-4 degree temp swing isn't all that bad? Any truth to that ?

Nice looking setup. I've read that the stock setup of the BC can sometimes lead to heat issues. I think if you settle on a temp anywhere between 78-82 you would be fine. The key is to limit fluctuation of temp. Quick changes in temp can be hard on livestock. Tell me a bit about your sand. I have yet to purchase mine. Is it fine sugar sized sand, or is it a bit more corse? I'm going to have an MP10 in my tank, so i want to avoid sand blowing around from the powerhead.

I also had hear issues when I first got my tank set up mainly because of a crappy heater but I took the digital heater out of my freshwater an out it in my bc and temps stay steady at about 80.4-80.6

Nice looking setup. I've read that the stock setup of the BC can sometimes lead to heat issues. I think if you settle on a temp anywhere between 78-82 you would be fine. The key is to limit fluctuation of temp. Quick changes in temp can be hard on livestock. Tell me a bit about your sand. I have yet to purchase mine. Is it fine sugar sized sand, or is it a bit more corse? I'm going to have an MP10 in my tank, so i want to avoid sand blowing around from the powerhead.

It's between fine and corse. I cleaned the glass this morning with a magnet float and when I go close to the sand I noticed it would blow around a lot if I was going too fast with the float. So if you're worried about blowing sand around you might want to look into something different from the fiji sand based on my experience so far.

Went out to do some running around for about an hour and when I left the house the temp was at 78 and when I had got back it was at 80. So it had jumped 2 degrees in just one hour ! I don't understand !? I went out and bought a digital thermometer just to make sure my digital heater wasn't broke and sure enough the tank is at 80.2. The house temp is at 73 and the tank isn't receiving any direct sunlight I know people have heat problems with biocubes but this is crazy!

That actually seems about right for the room temp to tank temp difference. My BC29 ran about 79-80 with my house at 73. They are just hot boxes with that lid closed.

I ended up getting a fan and attaching it to the back lid. I set it up on my controller so when temp hits 79 it went on...I don't know if it made much of a difference, but I was able to keep it under 80.

I recently took the lid off to hang a Radion...and the temp stays much lower. In fact, I actually had to put a heater on for the first time. During the day it peaks at 78 and at night it hits 76 before the heater comes on.

Long story short - it's going to trap heat. Opening the lids will help, and a fan will help.

Today is the second day I have had the tank up and running and I deiced to do a quick water test because the wife and kid were out of the house for a little bit. I really wasn't expecting to have any results because it is only the second day. I was happy to see that it looks like my tank has maybe started it's cycling process.

My results from the first water test.

• pH- 7.8
  • Ammonia 2.0 ppm
  • Nitrite 0.25 ppm
  • Nitrate about 5.0 ppm

Very excited to see some of these numbers!! I know I have awhile to go still. I'll test again in the middle of the week and see where the numbers are then.

BTW I am using an API master saltwater test kit. I know a lot of people don't really prefer these kits but I figured it's a good kit to start with.

I would love to upgrade my fans. I've done a little looking around and the one fan that seems to keep popping up is the Silenx. I don't want a fan that will make more noise than the stock ones because they are pretty loud now. But of course I want to keep my temp down. I guess beggars can't be choosers though lol.

• 2 weeks later...

My tank finished it's cycle so I did my first water change and went and got my CUC today. I had a whole list put together but when I went to my LFS they didn't have most of the snails I wanted so I had to get a totally different crew.

4 Margarita snails

5 nassiraus snails

5 cerith snails

2 scarlet hermits

1 emerald crab

If you are looking to upgrade your lighting and reduce heat, then check out the ocean revive arctic t247. I recently got it and my corals have grown a lot! Especially my zoanthids!

NanoMaster32

I also have a 29 biocube. I run the aquaticlife 115 skimmer and I love it for this tank. I modified mine to have a sump/refugium under the tank and run a 2 little fishies phosban reactor. I also upgraded the lighting to an AI Hydra 26. Honestly this light is wayyyy too bright for the size of the tank. The new AI Prime would be a perfect LED option for the biocube.

Let me know if you have any other questions about gear for the tank or other mods, as that is the best part of having a biocube. Also if you have any awesome mods you are looking to do I would love to hear about them.

post-87646-0-52705700-1427169423_thumb.jpg

post-87646-0-33951000-1427169433_thumb.jpg

Found this little guy the other day. I am just assuming it is some kind of sea urchin. If someone knows exactly what it is I would love to know.

post-87286-0-59624800-1427238655_thumb.jpg

post-87286-0-31827700-1427238666_thumb.jpg

CronicReefer

Found this little guy the other day. I am just assuming it is some kind of sea urchin. If someone knows exactly what it is I would love to know.

Looks like a pencil urchin.

Archived