Coral Vue Hydros

Spanky's 2x4 Flood Tray Tank... We have water... somewhat...

SpankythePyro

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpankythePyro

I'll have to grab a camera... some zoa's haven't done so well and some have. I am currently fighting a bubble algae outbreak..

I took care of the hair algae outbreak by ordering a NYOS mag test kit and dosing it up to 1500 over the past couple weeks

The Captain America's are now 8 polyps+ from the 1 and 1 baby i got from lawn...

The Rainbows are now a colony frag of 7 polyps and another frag with 3

Unfortunately my Sunny D's, Utter Chaos, and CARS melted away... I'm waiting to transition because I am starting to hate LED's and some of the zoa's are not as FLUFFY as I see them in other people's tanks.

I hated my "Chinese black box" lights. I'm unfamiliar with ReefBreeder lights but they were the exact same as the ones I had back when they just came out with blues and whites. I don't know what it is but I can tell a huge difference between cheap and high end fixtures like Radions or NBRs. I would highly recommend a NanoBox T5+LED Hybrid if you go to the RedSea Reefer if you don't like pure LEDs... best of both worlds.

I have also had some hit and miss success with Zoas. No matter what tank and lighting... while they are supposed to be easy, they have been pretty random for me.

Post some pics!

SpankythePyro

Ditching the LED's...

I just spent a grand on the following

2x4 Flood Tray

2x4 Flood Tray Table

4' 8 bulb T5 Light

Bulbs (4 blue+, coral+, purple+, 2 true actinic)

Apogee Q200 PAR Meter

Black Eggcrate

SpankythePyro

PAR meter just came in... MQ-200. However nanoteef wont let me upload a photo from my iphone... Apparently i have too big of a package

SpankythePyro

Par meter is here!!!!

Everything else is arriving next week...

btw got some OG Blue Agaves today....

post-41755-0-39847500-1439163497_thumb.jpg

SpankythePyro

Got the following in today....

Light

Bulbs (one ATI Blue+ was bent at the endcap... BRS is sending me another ASAP so props to them

4'x2' Black eggcrate

2 1" bulkheads

1 3/4" bulkheads

1 Locline adapter

1 3" flare locline nozzle

RW-8 Prop pump

This is the bulb layout I'll be using

post-41755-0-20865500-1439417377_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-66816200-1439417536_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-05812500-1439417797_thumb.jpg

SpankythePyro

updated the first post...

I have everything but the stock tank, plumbing, and one blue+ bulb thats on the way

SpankythePyro

So the rubbermaid stock tank for the 70g is too tall.. unexpected but I have to shell out money for a trigger systems sump now :/

a 40br + an acrylic baffle set would cost me about $200 right now (damn you petco) and I'd much rather have something I can put towards a display build in the future or sell off easy

post-41755-0-79431100-1439770523_thumb.jpg

So the rubbermaid stock tank for the 70g is too tall.. unexpected but I have to shell out money for a trigger systems sump now :/

a 40br + an acrylic baffle set would cost me about $200 right now (damn you petco) and I'd much rather have something I can put towards a display build in the future or sell off easy

If you do a DIY sump it shouldn't cost anywhere near that much. I don't recall exactly how much the acrylic I used cost but it was definitely under $40 for a 24x24" piece. I used 1/4" acrylic along with DAP 100% silicone and it was incredibly easy to make the sump. You can probably get a cheap tank on Craig's List and then toss in the baffles. I have a 20 long for a sump so you'll have to get a bit more acrylic but it was surprisingly easy. I ended up making three baffles (2 for a bubble trap and the third for the return section) and it has done a great job so far. If you look in my sig there should be some pictures in my thread.

For prebuilt sumps I would look at the Aqueon line, Synergy Reefs, and Advanced Acrylics. Each company should have a multitude of prebuilt sumps that would work pretty well.

SpankythePyro

I might just grab the 40br and add 2 baffle for a bubble trap before the return pump..

I'm reluctant on using acrylic for a 40br sump because it bows and doesnt hold up as well.. I had an old 29 with acrylic baffles that blew out

SpankythePyro

Time to do what men do. No baffles.

I would if I had a very tight ATO... unfortunately 36"X18" and a 1/2" discrepancy in water level equals about a gallon and a half in a 45gallon system lol

I might just grab the 40br and add 2 baffle for a bubble trap before the return pump..

I'm reluctant on using acrylic for a 40br sump because it bows and doesnt hold up as well.. I had an old 29 with acrylic baffles that blew out

I had a similar issue. Originally I bought a DIY sump for $20 off of craig's list and it used the 1/16" acrylic and it bowed a lot so I decided to make my own. The 1/4" acrylic holds up far better and I haven't had any issues with it. I keep my water level at 8" for the main middle section and 9" for the skimmer and everything is doing well so far.

righttirefire

I had 3/16" flat glass cut for my baffles about 1/4" narrow so I could put silicone around the edges and not stress the tank with the expansion and contraction

With glass you can definitely go thinner. I made sure to cut my acrylic about 1/4" small than the inside width of my sump. It holds water and doesn't bow. I did do one ugly job with the silicone though, haha.

SpankythePyro

I'm still on the fence as far as options...

Acrylic would be cheaper and faster but I have no options for reef safe silicone around here... None of the stuff I've found at home depot says safe for use with aquariums... contrary it says unsafe with aquariums

Acrylic would be cheaper and faster but I have no options for reef safe silicone around here... None of the stuff I've found at home depot says safe for use with aquariums... contrary it says unsafe with aquariums

Look for DAP. It isn't in one of the big tubes but rather a small tube and is usually in a separate section from the regular construction/window silicone. Below is the exact one that I used. I think the section said something along the lines of a specialty use section.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=67&SubcatID=27

My HD has aquarium silicone by all the glues. Like gorilla glue, epoxies, etc. Yeah tried to build a cube once and didn't go well lol

SpankythePyro

Looks like I'll be doing a 20l or 40br then.

I just got in two more corals for the current 20long till the frag tank is ready

Orange/Green/Red Bubble Tip Nem

Purple/Orange Torch

$_57.JPG

Looks like I'll be doing a 20l or 40br then.

I just got in two more corals for the current 20long till the frag tank is ready

Orange/Green/Red Bubble Tip Nem

Purple/Orange Torch

$_57.JPG

Nice torch!

So you going to get some acros? You know not to dip smooth skins, or dip in a mild solution, but they can be sensitive. Best bet is to remove from frag plug, discard plug, inspect closely for dead spots / eggs, then add to tank. :)

Archived