SaltCritters.com

First DIY leds and tank

shark565

Hello, I am planning a new tank and I need some help. The tank is going to be connected to the old one and the old one is going to be a sump/refugium. I am planning to keep softies, LPS and SPS. I would like to have a six-line wrasse and it is going to be alone in there. I know they jump a lot and I am thinking about covering my tank with glass panel.

Tank: 28”l/10”w/14”h AGA black silicone 16 gallon

Sump/ refugium: around 3 gallon AIO tank

The return pump is going to be the pump I am using now and It is going to pump the water from the last chamber to the display. The water is going to go from the display to the old tank with a pipe.Shold I put a gate valve? The tanks are going to be on the same cupboard. The display is going to be in front of the sump and I might make a small overflow box.

Flow: return pump 380l/h and wavemaker 1000l/h

Heater: 20w Chinese

Live rock: I am going to use mine and may be add a few more pounds later.

Live sand: I am not sure if I want sand. I might put an inch. How many pounds would I need?

Lightning: I am planning a diy led fixture.

LED: 2 x10w led royal blue

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-High-Quality-10W-20W-30W-50W-100W-Royal-Blue-Color-450NM-High-Power-LED-Lamp/2011132661.html

Radiator: 6”l/1,5”w/0,5”h

Dimmer:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-High-Quanlity-12V-8A-96W-PIR-Sensor-LED-Strip-Light-lamps-Switch-Dimmer-Brightness/32275239463.html

Power supply:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-1pcs-lot-AC-220V-to-12V-20W-Halogen-Lamp-Electronic-Transformer-Power-Supply-LED/32271125568.html

What do you think?

The LED could work, but I urge you to look at better options.

As for the power supply and dimmer, neither will work. The power supply is AC output (LEDs are DC devices, and need to be current controlled), and the dimmer is intended for 12v DC low output LED strips.

Go take a read for a few hours through the lighting section to get a better idea as to what is required for an LED setup for a reef.

Thank you for the fast reply. I read a little more and I found a power supply at home from I read I think it is going to work. Can I use 4x royal blue 10w led without burning my corals? Can I keep my corals under Royal blues only? Must I have a dimmer or I can go without it? Here is a picture of the power supply:

09E07930-EADA-49E2-9C2D-08657A83C87D_zps

That looks like an AC to AC transformer.

VA, volt amps is common AC to AC rating. No plus minus pos neg markings. I don't know what EFF means.

What is your goal with this tank? Based on what I think you want to spend you may keep it alive, but it won't look good.

My goal to have a good looking tank with nice looking and growing corals. I chose royal blues because I want to see my corals phosphoriscent. I chose 10w led because I wanted less LEDs with simpler setup .If you have better sugestions I am open to hear them. I haven't ordered anything yet.

After all I have read , I think I am going to order 5x 9w LEDs royal blue 6 and cool white 3 hybrids. A friend with a 30 gallon use 3 of those and he is keeping sps and have a good growth rate. Is this going to work?

Archived